English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 May 2017, 10:37   #1381
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Seeing this is Commodore i think we can be 95% sure that is the answer ;-)
As cynical as I am when it comes to Commodore we are talking about the company that opted to use a nonstandard 3.5 mounting mechanism inside the A500 case and went about designing, producing and assembling its own eject tab for the floppy drive even though a standard 3.5" mount and face plate would have worked wonderfully well with the case.

The way I look at it, any cost cutting design decisions made by Commodore were most likely coincidental.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 17 May 2017, 14:01   #1382
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
It's the same eject button as is in a normal faceplate equipped thick Chinon drive. So no, they didn't design all that much themselves, at least initially. :-) The A500 drive just has a notch in the cover and is missing the face plate.
Old 18 May 2017, 15:44   #1383
-Acid-

Is it just me, or does this sound like it was sampled for the music in Arabian Nights? (1h29m16s)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 May 2017, 16:09   #1384
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Is it just me, or does this sound like it was sampled for the music in Arabian Nights? (1h29m16s)

[ Show youtube player ]
Interesting. Not sampled, but surely sounds similar!
To be fair, it could be a coincidence. Use of standard 80s/90s synths plus a middle eastern-sounding scale will get you there.
Old 19 May 2017, 04:00   #1385
Kalamatee

Meh deleted - replied to the wrong comment ;D
Old 19 May 2017, 04:04   #1386
Kalamatee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
To be honest the thought never occurred to me that the design might of been completed before the PCMCIA standard was and I suppose its easier to copy and paste that part of the 600 design to the 1200 rather than rethink it at more cost.

Maybe they seen it as a means of quick temporary connection of peripherals and not intended for long term connections to the machine.
My suspicion would be so that sidecar add-ons using it wouldn't have a huge (and flimsy) pcmcia interface poking out the side - rather a lower profile interface, but I may be completely off the mark =)
Old 19 May 2017, 09:59   #1387
idrougge

It only takes a minute to reach the conclusion that sidecar devices are kept installed with the connector tucked away safely inside the computer while normal cards will always be at risk since they protrude from the computer when installed.
Old 22 May 2017, 22:47   #1388
Glen M

Here's another one, as I'm sat here writing adfs to disk for my A500.

Why do some floppies make a strange knocking or like shaking noise while spinning. I'm not talking about the noise of the heads moving between tracks but it's like a constant noise under that. Always makes me think the disk is going to fail.
Old 22 May 2017, 23:26   #1389
idrougge

Dirt or fungus inside the plastic case between the magnetic disc and the felt coating. It will eventually damage the disc. If it's fungus, it will also damage the drive.
Old 23 May 2017, 08:33   #1390
demolition
Unregistered User

Yes, a periodic knocking sound happens when something is stuck to the rotating disc so that every time it passes the head, you hear a knock. A constant whine means that it is just generally dirty.
Old 23 May 2017, 13:16   #1391
EugeneNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
As cynical as I am when it comes to Commodore we are talking about the company that opted to use a nonstandard 3.5 mounting mechanism inside the A500 case and went about designing, producing and assembling its own eject tab for the floppy drive even though a standard 3.5" mount and face plate would have worked wonderfully well with the case.

The way I look at it, any cost cutting design decisions made by Commodore were most likely coincidental.
I don't think it was all that nonstandard. The IBM PS/2 was around that time and it had a similar floppy setup where the faceplate was part of the case and not the drive. A couple of the old Compaq deskpro's copied that same idea as well. So while it wasn't an official standard across manufacturers it was common practice.

IIRC the crApple's were the same as well.
Old 23 May 2017, 14:30   #1392
Daedalus

While many Apple machines did indeed integrate the faceplate into the casing, they also had non-standard drives - they had variable rotation speed depending on the track being read for the old Mac formats, and they had an electromechanical eject system, meaning dragging a floppy's icon onto the trashcan would physically eject the floppy, just like a CD would.
Old 02 June 2017, 21:23   #1393
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Are there any viruses on the Amiga that can survive a reset?
Old 02 June 2017, 22:39   #1394
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
I think most if not all of them survive a soft reset.
Old 02 June 2017, 23:02   #1395
Daedalus

Yep, that was key to how many of them spread back in the days when nobody had hard drives or other mass storage. The virus would be in the bootblock of the disk of the latest pirated game you bought down your local market, then it would run on booting the game, install itself in reset-proof memory, and when you reboot to run a different game, then install themselves in the boot sector of that game's floppy, thus spreading itself.

Basically, almost any code can make itself resident in reset-proof memory, and that mechanism is key to how things like OS 3.9, the RAD: disk, scsi.device patches and so on work.
Old 03 June 2017, 04:28   #1396
ViLXDRYAD
Avocado lover

i have so much to thank to the amiga demoscene; is the one that started all what made the demos i love now

shame i came to late to know the scene; are there still amiga demogroups out there?

are them still competing?
Old 03 June 2017, 13:41   #1397
Daedalus

Yep, there are still a number of annual demo competitions, mostly in Europe. These days they're often streamed live, and you can watch them back on YouTube. For example: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 June 2017, 16:54   #1398
ViLXDRYAD
Avocado lover

always2late ;-; what i have been missing all this time? that revision demoparty looked amazing!

so happy people still stick to their roots, also what a better motivaton to gitgud

thanks a lot, Daedalus! = D
Old 05 June 2017, 09:15   #1399
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
I remember that back in the early 90s folklore many of the viruses were fabled to survive a quick power off, so even many of the written manuals of the era suggested a long, 10-20 second power off to make sure the virus is completely removed from the system.
Old 05 June 2017, 15:37   #1400
idrougge

Indeed it takes a bit for the computer to be entirely powered off.
AdSense AdSense