English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 13 April 2011, 13:20   #1
Mr B

Settlers, no passwords, no saves?

First of all, i'm not sure i'm in the right section asking this. Sorry if i messed up.
I recently (yesturday) managed to get my A1200 equipped with it's new drive, and with it, a bit of WHDLoading took place. I pretty much grabbed all of KG's set, and stuck it on the drive. One of my favorite games, Settlers, got a whirl. Seeing as it is one of my favorites, i got a save from the last few days playing i'd like to continue on, but for obvios reasons, the WHDLoaded game doesn't look to floppies for saves. Is there a workaround for this, or would it at least be possible to enable the passwords, taking me to the same level where i could start over, without starting over from level 1?

If it's a no go, then it's a no go, i just thought i'd ask at least.
Thank you for your time.
B!
Old 13 April 2011, 13:24   #2
ajk

You mean that you have a floppy that has the save? In that case just copying it to the relevant directory on the hard drive should do the trick. At work so can't check right now but it was something pretty obvious, eg. TheSettlers/save/. Have a look at least.
Old 14 April 2011, 01:07   #3
Mr B

Had a look, didn't find a obvious place to store the save. Only after going back home i came up with the bright idea to look in the directory, and then try to remember whats in it, fire up the game, and make a save, to see if anything changed, and work from there.
B!
Old 14 April 2011, 20:54   #4
Djay
95th User

How about just installing it to HD rather using WHDLoad version...

I have a fully reg'ed WHDLoad and still use a few normal installations of games
Old 14 April 2011, 23:30   #5
zardoz
Zone Friend

There's a flat folder structure, the game saves are called SettlerSave0 to 9.

And the password for the last level is Passive.
Old 15 April 2011, 01:31   #6
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
How about just installing it to HD rather using WHDLoad version...
My floppies refuse to install. Possibly due to damage, they have a few years on them. Once i have a fast n' easy way to transfer data back and forth between the Amiga and the PC i might stick a bunch of ADF's in there and see if i cant get something sorted. Right now that seams to work better. Not meaning to insult anyone but it seams a fair bit of the WHDLoads suffer from some issue or another. If it isn't speed related to the ACA1230/56 then it's a inability to make saves. (A-Train, crashes) or some aspect of the game that doesn't work. But at least i can play some old favorites again, without having to worry about old hardware that soon, or already, cant be readily obtained anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
There's a flat folder structure, the game saves are called SettlerSave0 to 9.
I'll try making a save, and copying my old straight over it, that should work then. (Making a save first is just to confirm the position, which may seam redundant as it's supposedly just saved straight in to the folder.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
And the password for the last level is Passive.
Who cares. You cant enter a password, so i cant continue from where i was/am. ;- ) You click the box, start goes away, and then you press what ever letters you like, nothing shows up in the box. And, you cant get out of it, so, the only things left to do, is the hotkey to quit, or reboot the Amiga.

Thanks everyone, you've been helpful.
B!
Old 15 April 2011, 01:36   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Not meaning to insult anyone but it seams a fair bit of the WHDLoads suffer from some issue or another.
That's why you should report any issue you encounter on http://mantis.whdload.de/main_page.php
You know, for the time when the 'old hardware' 'cant be readily obtained anymore'
Old 15 April 2011, 01:57   #8
Mr B

I emailed the guy who made the slave for A-train, but i have no means of knowing if it actually got through. Well, yet. It's been a while since he made it, as far as i can tell.

Settlers... Um.. Well, i'll admit, i sort of figured "The game works. They don't want to hear me whine about minor issues that the slave creator must have noticed, and ignored." It's just the password thingy that doesn't work. If you play the WHDLoad all the time, then the passwords ain't an issue. But i guess your right. I would report it, if i could figure the site out. I'll look at it in the morning. It's 2 at night, s perhaps thats what throws me of, the site seams to speak Swedish, and well, i am Swedish, so that SHOULD work out fairly ok....

I'll report back.
B!
Old 15 April 2011, 03:39   #9
Hewitson

Quote:
Once i have a fast n' easy way to transfer data back and forth between the Amiga and the PC i might stick a bunch of ADF's in there and see if i cant get something sorted.
Get yourself a cheap NE2000 compatible PCMCIA network card from ebay and use it with cnet.device. http://aminet.net/package/driver/net/cnetdevice

In the meantime you could use a null modem cable if you have one, otherwise use CrossDOS to read/write PC floppies "mount pc0:".
Old 15 April 2011, 10:55   #10
Mr B

I need a much to long cable for that to work. (Since my TV doesn't support the Amigas video output, i simply put the Amiga at a friends place.)
I'm working along the lines of "CF card" for a easy transferable media between the Amiga & the PC, and it seams to be coming along ok.

Managed to figure out how to report the issue at the site TCD linked to. I think. I managed to put something in there at least.
B!
Old 15 April 2011, 12:46   #11
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Who cares. You cant enter a password, so i cant continue from where i was/am. ;- ) You click the box, start goes away, and then you press what ever letters you like, nothing shows up in the box. And, you cant get out of it, so, the only things left to do, is the hotkey to quit, or reboot the Amiga.
If you are using the pre-installed versions, grab v1.3, it works correctly (which is I suppose why both 1.3 and 1.5 are still available).
Old 15 April 2011, 15:37   #12
Mr B

I found it, will test it next time i have a drive walking in and out of the A1200. Thank you for the tip.
B!
Old 25 February 2013, 09:25   #13
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I have just checked this, the WHDLoad version is still(!) not cracked correctly, quite a few checksum checks have been missed. These missed checksum checks are the reason for the problems. I'll update the patch in the next days.
Old 25 February 2013, 18:38   #14
Mr B

After that all i need is that KG's kit gets updated, and i'm golden. Yey.

Anyway, a big thank you for the update. It's going to be great.
Old 25 February 2013, 20:54   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

You're very welcome, it's a good game so it deserves a fully working patch. I have already found the reason for the keyboard problem, wasn't protection related as I thought, it's interrupt related. I'm currently working on a fix.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:08   #16
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Success! I have fixed the keyboard problems, entering level codes and saving games works without any problems now. Somewhat tricky to do but it was fun.
I also changed the approach to crack the game for a bit of extra fun, whatever checksums there might be, they will not matter anymore! It will also make it much easier to support any other versions of the game since my crack just consists of 2 tiny modifications. I'll have to add my changes to JOTD's source, expect updated version of the Settlers patch in the next days.
Old 26 February 2013, 11:34   #17
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

This morning I finished all code for the updated patch and added support for all versions of the game except one. JOTD's patch supports 2 German versions, I have the SPS version but not the other supported German version, can someone upload it please?
Old 26 February 2013, 18:42   #18
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Found the other version plus one more German version so the updated patch will support 3 German versions. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 26 February 2013, 21:38   #19
Mr B

Not providing any help makes me feel like i at least should show some more support, so here goes. You rock.
Old 27 February 2013, 07:07   #20
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I wasn't entirely serious anyway and fixing the patch for Settlers has been a lot of fun so far. It's been a long time that I last saw Settlers intro (probably more than 15 years) so it really brings back some nice memories. Last thing left to do is fixing the keyboard in the intro but that shouldn't take too long I hope.