English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 March 2011, 17:25   #1
BippyM
Global Moderator

What would you change if you could

If you could go back what would you change.

This has to be what YOU can actually do, no pipe dreams about saving Commodore etc..

I would go back and actually do something more productive than spend yrs doing bits here and there. I would probably learn to program properly and not give up or get distracted with something else.
Old 03 March 2011, 17:30   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

No gaming, I have big mess in my head because of old games. I remember them in details but not important things from my life.
Old 03 March 2011, 17:46   #3
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I remember them in details but not important things from my life.
no worries, life is just a game anyway!
Old 03 March 2011, 18:45   #4
Djay
95th User

I would of not sold my original A1200 and all the extras I had... I lost so much stuff on that trade in for a ps one, I should of bought it outright and been happy with one game, rather than all the launch games and extra pad and memory card.

I did however keep, my boxed copy of frontier and my save game

And..

Learn to program, the ability to create is something I regret the most... I don't really have the time to do it now with work and family commitments and of course gaming both modern and retro
Old 03 March 2011, 19:02   #5
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Not sure i would change anything.I'm who i am today because of all my mistakes and i could have ended up in a worse place.I count myself lucky.Not being creative is maybe high up on the list of regrets for some i would say but because i was dire at everything else, i embraced this and the one thing i'm good at now

Would love to be good at programming but i'll just have wait on that
Old 03 March 2011, 19:54   #6
pmc
gone

So many things. A bit cryptic this but probably what I would choose is to have said no instead of yes when I was asked if I wanted to go into town one afternoon in October '95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
I would probably learn to program properly and not give up or get distracted with something else.
You can still do this bippy

In fact, I'll make you a genuine offer: choose one demo effect, just one, that you would really like to code that you think I could help you with. Forget all the boring system startup stuff - nick that from one of my sources - just concentrate on the effect and code it. Doesn't matter how long it takes you, one line of code a day, anything. Regardless of how long it takes you'll get there eventually and along the way any time you get stuck or need advice or want to bounce an idea off someone, drop me an email and I'll help you.
Old 03 March 2011, 19:59   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

Like Djay I don't have the time with work and family commitments, when I was younger I'd spend all day knocking this and that together, or drawing in DPaint, using imagine etc etc etc,

I have the intellect and the basic understanding of learning, I was thinking about it today, but it is finding the time and a development setup I am comfortable with.

I am not worrried about the effects but the startup shite and understanding that.. It's been so long, I forgot alot
Old 03 March 2011, 20:00   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
had a cdtv instead of the A570
not go to uni for my betec an be saddled with a load of debt
Old 03 March 2011, 21:33   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

thats easy. I wouldn't piss away my early education... playing on the Amiga and later the PC

After some years of work I went back to school because I wanted to get better papers (in them days it still counted) and figured out I was actually pretty clever at everything I thought I sucked at, including math. I really did some damage to myself in my teenage days by doing everything but study, or socialize for that matter. Thank god I landed a job and learned what responsibility was.
Old 03 March 2011, 21:51   #10
DonAmiga

I would have kept hold off all my stuff, Amiga, Spectrum, Sega and Nes,, Also Grandstands Astro wars and Scramble, Which I've just bought but as Adropac2 said we're here today because of what we did, just would have been lighter on the pocket for me
Old 03 March 2011, 22:28   #11
spiff
Oh noes!

I'd spend a day with my grandparents, I miss them.
Old 04 March 2011, 10:05   #12
Sektor 83

Like I said in my introductory post, I would have liked to have learned how to code in 68k... but by the time I got a manual for it, my A500+ was on its last legs and in terms of the Amiga, with it being about 1997, it was a little too late. I would have started much earlier, but I was a little hampered by age... although that didn't stop me from learning AMOS, Protracker, OctaMED, sector editors and all that other stuff. The last 'Amiga' I owned was a CD32 which I got rid of sometime in 1999... but I've got to say, I hardly ever used it... once the 500+ went, that was pretty much the end of me and the Amiga until I started using WinUAE a couple of years ago!

Last edited by Sektor 83; 04 March 2011 at 10:20.
Old 04 March 2011, 10:24   #13
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I wouldn't change a thing

Every little change back then could have unforeseen circumstances, if I go back and change it I could be dead by now
Old 04 March 2011, 10:36   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
I wouldn't change a thing

Every little change back then could have unforeseen circumstances, if I go back and change it I could be dead by now
Or !_-ALIVE-_!

But yeah its no good to:

- think what if what if
- treat life as one missed opportunity after another

What you don't know about you can't miss! And I would have missed the Amiga, this board and squabbles with mister Killer "smelly monkey banana head" Gorilla. No sir, I wouldn't miss that for the world.
Old 04 March 2011, 11:04   #15
wanderer
I want an A1000

I would take more photos. It's so easy today, but I have almost nothing from those days unfortunately. Also what bippym said, more focus. And a little less gaming.
Old 04 March 2011, 13:07   #16
KevG
Banned

Quote:
If you could go back what would you change.
I'd do better at school if I could go back. Do A levels then go to university to study geology. Unfortunately, I wasted many years of my life in I.T. which was a total and utter complete waste of time.

Kev G.
Old 04 March 2011, 16:08   #17
kamelito
Zone Friend

I'll wrote games instead of (only) playing them.
Old 04 March 2011, 16:40   #18
zenox98
Joy Division

*cough*

Down with that sorta thing!

Last edited by zenox98; 04 March 2011 at 23:01.
Old 05 March 2011, 14:07   #19
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I wouldn't have screwed a friend's girlfriend while at college
Old 09 March 2011, 19:51   #20
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

@bippym - Like pmc noted, it's never too late. I learned 6502 and Z80 when I was at college* (w-a-y back in the 80s) and then never really did anything with it. Fluffed about with AMOS and Blitz Basic in the 90s and messed around with C in command line mode. Nothing really spectacular. But then, about 2 years ago, I got into SDL and Java and started playing around. There's so many resources online that you can't go wrong (especially if you use pmc's sources ). You'll be amazed at what you can do with a bit of messing about with code.

For example, my rather naff website (which hasn't been updated for ages) has got some examples of what I managed to throw together after about a week's playing around. You'll find:
1. A very simple 'shoot-the-alien' game
2. A parallax scroller with a movable spaceship
3. A gravity-effected bouncing ball
Go to www.luweb.co.uk

If you want the source I'll bung it over to you. Knowing that there's other folk interested in kicking off programming will probably get me going again

*I went to college at Wilmorton. It's in your neck of the woods