English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 January 2002, 00:50   #1
Kitty-chan

Updating my Amiga's KICK rom?

I know you can extract them, so I wonder if you can update them. I have two Amiga 500+'s (one cost me £2, hah, stupid old woman!), and I'd like to update their KICK roms to 3.1 if that's possible. Can it be done? Thanks! .

Also, is it possible to update workbench? Cheers!

//admin: please don't use direct signature in your post, configure your UserCP instead.

Old 13 January 2002, 00:56   #2
oldpx

Amiga's kickstarts are not EPROMs therefore cannot be updated but can be replaced. Workbenches require specific versions of kickstarts to run so if you update from 2.0 to 3.1, you can run 3.1 . I don't know if anything will fail to work because you don't have the AGA chipset though

Old 13 January 2002, 01:01   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

You can get 3.1 roms to work with the ECS chipset and more importantly a 68000 cpu because it was fitted in some of the later A600, it's just finding them that might be a problem.

It would probably be cheaper to just buy an A1200 or A600 with kickstart 3.1 anyway
Old 04 February 2002, 20:40   #4
hal
where am i ?

so all you have to do is replace the kick chips ?

once i put a kick 1.3 instead of 1.2 in my a500 stopped to show video andthe disk drive silenced (should i say flatlined)
but when i put the original back it came to life (god i was relieved)
actually what i put instead was a switcher with kick 2 and 1.3
those were my reckless hardware butchering days so i did many not so wise things. thanks to ebay i still have an amiga (lost two due to my own stupidity)
it´s possiple that the chips were defective but i suspect it to be just incompatibility ayone know if this is the case know how to find info on what should go where ?
Old 04 February 2002, 21:06   #5
jmmijo

Re: so all you have to do is replace the kick chips ?

Quote:
Originally posted by hal
once i put a kick 1.3 instead of 1.2 in my a500 stopped to show video andthe disk drive silenced (should i say flatlined)
but when i put the original back it came to life (god i was relieved)
actually what i put instead was a switcher with kick 2 and 1.3
those were my reckless hardware butchering days so i did many not so wise things. thanks to ebay i still have an amiga (lost two due to my own stupidity)
it´s possiple that the chips were defective but i suspect it to be just incompatibility ayone know if this is the case know how to find info on what should go where ?
Actually the cost of Kickstart rom's is not that much, a company in the states named Software Hut has them for sale along with the OS3.9 CD. Of course this requires that you have either WB 3.0 or WB 3.1 already installed on the computer as this also requires a HD to install to. But if you are just after the rom's then that will work as well. Check out their web site for more info.

http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/.../web_store.cgi