English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 October 2018, 09:39   #681
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
Hi guys,

Got my gotek for cheap, like 9 bucks on a local store that sell ancient electronics (one of these places that recycle hardware from offices; love to spend hours searching between mountains of CRT and racks of old Windows machines ).

I did flash it no problem with Flash floppy (0.92 I believe; the latest on their github page), and tried a 128 GB USB stick from Samsung, formatted as FAT32 with the config and boot file; but no matter what, the floppy does not work.

When I turn on the 1200, I get the F-F on display; if I put the USB stick in it it goes to 000; but that's it. The bootloader never load when I boot the amiga; it goes directly into WB from the CF card adapter.
If I disable the CF card; the amiga boot and then it say "no disk in DF0:"; so I never get to boot into the loader where you assign the adf files to each position.

I tried to remove the config and bootloader file, and just put ADF; and that seems to work better; since when I cycle through the positions, I can see the number changing; although the amiga refuse to load anything, either if I boot with DH0: disabled or if I have WB loaded and try to cycle through the various ADF. I am sure that the ADF should show in WB at least, since they are DP4 and Octamed; so they should appear on the workbench.

AS far as the connector, it seems to be connected as the original drive (red cable is on the opposite of power connector); I did put back the original Amiga drive and it works fine; so the cable is fine and there is power going to the connector as it should.

The green light goes on, the red light flash briefly when I switch disks, but that's all that it does.

I am not sure where the problem is at this point; the flashing went fine; the device seems to be recognized by the Amiga (otherwise when I disable everything but the DF0; it would show me the ROM animation to insert a disk, and not the CLI with the error message that there is no disk in DF0), and the ADF works fine on Windows via WinUAE; so either I should try with a smaller USB drive or I need to try with some sacrifice to the Commodore deity.
At the rear of the Gotek make sure you have a jumper at S0 position only.

If the green LED is permanently lit then the ribbon cable may be wrong way round.
Old 07 October 2018, 19:28   #682
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
At the rear of the Gotek make sure you have a jumper at S0 position only.

If the green LED is permanently lit then the ribbon cable may be wrong way round.

Yep, jumper is at S0; there is no other jumper set on it.

Also the green light on the Gotek is the power; so that should be always on. Do you mean the red activity light? That one is off; it only briefly flash when the gotek is reading a position. I can try flipping the floppy cable but the videos show the drive connected with the red pin on the ribbon, that is on the other side of the power connector, exactly like the original mechanical drive
Old 07 October 2018, 19:58   #683
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
Yep, jumper is at S0; there is no other jumper set on it.

Also the green light on the Gotek is the power; so that should be always on. Do you mean the red activity light? That one is off; it only briefly flash when the gotek is reading a position. I can try flipping the floppy cable but the videos show the drive connected with the red pin on the ribbon, that is on the other side of the power connector, exactly like the original mechanical drive
Green LED is drive-select -- if it's permanently on then the ribbon cable is wrong way round. Red LED is LED-display data line -- it lights only when the display changes.
Old 07 October 2018, 22:34   #684
guybrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
Green LED is drive-select -- if it's permanently on then the ribbon cable is wrong way round. Red LED is LED-display data line -- it lights only when the display changes.

That is weird; the instructions on the gotek do not say that; they say that the green LED is the power LED and show if the device is receiving the 5V from the power connector; while the red is the activity one. I will switch the cable and give it a try; I am confused at this point
Old 07 October 2018, 22:53   #685
guybrush

Ok, the instructions are clearly wrong; and same goes for the connection...my bad.

I did realize that the connector is plugged inverted on the motherboard; which means that it is inverted also at the drive.

I did flip the cable and it works just fine now! Thank you so much Kaffer, if you would not say that the LED is not a power LED, I would never figure this out