English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 December 2015, 15:21   #1
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

WinUAE - getting it going

Ok, I'm stumped. I can't get WinUAE configured. And I'm confused with some of the options.

First up, although not a "newbie" (I've played with WinUAE in some incarnation since at least 2002) perhaps I was spoilt with the AIAB package.

What I am trying to achieve: an emulation of my two favourite Amigas

1. B2000 with GForce 030/40, hard disk, Picasso II+
2. A4K with either Warp Engine 040 or CS PPC/060, hard disk, Cybervision or Picasso IV

The base config is easy, but...

how the hell does one configure a hard disk??? The documentation/step-by-step guide is woefully out of date; it does not reflect the current v3.x software, nor does it explain what each step actually accomplishes and why one does it.

Lets say I want to emulate an A4K. What scsi device do I use? The option for the A4KT NCR scsi, or do I enable UAESCSI.device?

If I want to "add" a Warp Engine (or any other accelerator card with onboard SCSI for any model), again, which device? Or, like a real Amiga, do I need an ADF of the driver disk with the appropriate driver and HardDiskToolBox/FaaastPrep/etc tooltype set?

Thinking about adding expansion cards, presumably WinAUE does not have card-specific code so one needs a ROM image for that card. So, if I want to add a G-Force 030 or Warp Engine, etc, I need to obtain a ROM image for it?

Back to hard disks, I get that one can assign a Windows directory as a psuedo Amiga drive. Ok, this is incredibly useful for natively transferring software from the internet/PC to a Amiga. What I dont get is the process for creating an Amiga virtual HD via a hardfile.

In CD/hard drives, I create a 120mb hard file. I leave it all settings as defaults. Start winuae, HDToolbox cannot see a hard disk.

Device SCSI:0 Vol HDF controller SCSI (auto)

I tried a 20MB drive, and hdtoolbox sees a 20MB ST drive

Device DH1 Vol n/a controller UAE

So, TL;DR, can someone provide a step-by-step guide for creating a hardfile hard disk for the Amiga, if possible with reasons for why one would select a given HD controller?

Before I lose whats left of my hair!!!

Many thanks

edit: Many thanks for WinUAE, frustrating as it is, I have an Amiga again for the first time since 2007:

Last edited by alewis; 02 December 2015 at 15:52. Reason: edit: forgot something!
Old 02 December 2015, 15:53   #2
DamienD
Banned

Just very quickly read through your post...

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to setting up hard drives in WinUAE; personally I still use .ADFs

Maybe this section on the Lemon Amiga website will be of assistance: http://www.lemonamiga.com/help/tutorial_1/5.php

Also regarding your question about cards I believe you will need to get ROMs for these. Just use Google to find what you require.
Old 02 December 2015, 17:00   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewis View Post
Lets say I want to emulate an A4K. What scsi device do I use? The option for the A4KT NCR scsi, or do I enable UAESCSI.device?
A4000 has built-in IDE only unless you add some SCSI expansions -> select A600/A1200/A4000 IDE controller. If you have A4091, enable it, then select A4091 as HD controller and so on. It isn't that difficult

Quote:
If I want to "add" a Warp Engine (or any other accelerator card with onboard SCSI for any model), again, which device? Or, like a real Amiga, do I need an ADF of the driver disk with the appropriate driver and HardDiskToolBox/FaaastPrep/etc tooltype set?
Just like you would do it using real hardware.

Quote:
Thinking about adding expansion cards, presumably WinAUE does not have card-specific code so one needs a ROM image for that card. So, if I want to add a G-Force 030 or Warp Engine, etc, I need to obtain a ROM image for it?
Yes. Thats the whole point of emulating expansion hardware, emulate hardware and use original software/firmware.

Quote:
In CD/hard drives, I create a 120mb hard file. I leave it all settings as defaults. Start winuae, HDToolbox cannot see a hard disk.
UAE controller = uaehf.device. ("tools/hdtoolbox uaehf.device") hdtoolbox only detects and uses scsi.device automatically.

Make sure RDB mode is enabled.