English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 04 August 2001, 23:49   #21
Amiga1992

Hmmm... I was on deadline frenzy, perhaps I didnt get to post it, or IE crashed before it got posted. Because I am 100% sure I typed it.
Old 05 August 2001, 14:47   #22
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
Khephren, yes, if you want, I like your knowledge in demos and mods scene

MarzAttakz, no, your last crisis and problem was too much, moreover, did you really think you can help people as much as TG or Codetapper ? ...
remember also that a good moderator do not ask for games like you did during the last months.

a good moderator is someone who help people, who never (or rarely) ask something, and is enough present on the board. Akira, CodyJarrett & Twistin' Ghost are perfect exemple of what we need.
A few reasons why I'm probably hardly considered a "helper" a lot of the time:

a) I don't even know a quarter of what you guys know about the technical titbits of the Amiga, so don't expect me to talk a lot, if at all, in places like the "Problems/Hardware" section.

b) I'm still waiting for someone to request for a game (a particular version even if needed) that I *do* possess, but even then, I still have to get my equipment together to create the dumps (if it's possible), and by then it may be too late (either the requester will change his/her mind, or someone else will beat me to giving them the desired game).

c) The reason why I'm absent a lot of the time is because, right now at least, my sister keeps borrowing the phone cable (we have to share it) occassionally to do her own Internet stuff on her computer (yes, she has her own) and so I have to wait until I can get the cable back again. Oh, well, she'll only be living with me and my parents till October, when she goes back to university.

So I guess, in the far future, every other regular user on this board will blossom into an administrator, while I'll be the only one who's still at the bottom end of the ranks... (everyone saw "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... etc.")
Old 05 August 2001, 15:26   #23
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MarzAttakz
So I guess, in the far future, every other regular user on this board will blossom into an administrator, while I'll be the only one who's still at the bottom end of the ranks...
Hey, please don't think that there will be more moderator here, too much moderator for one board is not one good thing. At the moment, we have enough moderator, and I don't have plan to add more in the near future.

moreover, you should not speak about personnal "problem" here, I don't think we are interested about your sister's computer or studies.
Don't take it bad, but remember this is an Amiga board first.
Old 06 August 2001, 07:54   #24
Amiga1992

Completely agree.. Please stop talking about all those excuses and just forget about the whole thing, will ya?
Old 06 August 2001, 20:14   #25
MethodGit

OK, I agree with you both. How refreshing it is to have this settled

Oh, I forgot to mention: the main reason why the likes of Cody and TG rarely ever ask for games, if at all, is because they've already proven that they have a countless shitload of rare (and common) material in their posession, and that they're probably too busy playing around with their collection to ask for any more things.
Old 06 August 2001, 21:18   #26
Amiga1992

An assumption based on which facts? I think they are always on the lookout for games, but they find them using the best method available : looking for them by themselves. ALL the originals you ask for here, they buy at eBay or have bought back then.

It's the most fun one as well, and the most rewarding
Old 06 August 2001, 23:40   #27
morph72

... and the most expensive one too!

Old 07 August 2001, 22:19   #28
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
but they find them using the best method available : looking for them by themselves.
Seems I need to jump in here for a second.
Akira, this can't be said this much across the board. Twistin' is a guy who (definitely) has a lot of stuff from the BBS era, he confided this months ago on "another" forum whose name has gotten a ... uhmm ... somewhat doubtful reputation meanwhile.

This means, he IS (sort of) privileged because he had been spending a lot of time with accumulating loadsa stuff during the BBS heyday. THAT'S WHY he has so much stuff (and so much *non-crappy* stuff, above all) not just because he's such a good searcher.
*You* should actually know that this wasn't that easy back in 1996 when it all began. Google made life easy for us all, everyone knows -- but Google hasn't existed for so long yet.

So in my opinion, the attempt to compare Twistin' (and maybe Cody) with John Doe searching for "amiga roms" on random internet search engines feels as if someone tries to compare apples with pears, bananas and shoelaces.

Last edited by andreas; 07 August 2001 at 22:39.
Old 07 August 2001, 23:01   #29
Amiga1992

I didn't compare them with John Doe in the Quest for R0mzorz

And I know that back then, collecting stuff thru a BBS was as expensive as it is now to get the originals. Just ask Twistin' how much he spent on phone bills, with all those calls to euro boards Still, the originals could not be got that way.

I just tried to emphasize on the fun of searching for a game yourself. Preying for one on eBay, leeching it from a BBS on teh good old days or even looking for it on the net, it's most fun when you do it yourself, and not expecting to someone to post it for you to your mail addy or to an FTP.

Obviously I failed to express what I wanted
Old 07 August 2001, 23:47   #30
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, one comment Marz made was in regards to why TG (me) and Cody never ask for games. Well, we do occasionally. But here's the deal: we have a MIA list which we intend to post soon, but we have been taking this list and hunting down its contents before posting it here. In the process, we have acquire at LEAST one fourth of the original list and quite possibly more than that. Likewise, we use many search methods to find info on the games for our databases.

Most of the old games from my BBS days, I still have but really haven't xferred much from the Amiga to the PC yet, so the way I have them available for requests and such has been acquired mostly from the net. I hope to have my old collection dumped to the PC soon, but thus far have only dumped a couple hundred megs or so...