English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 May 2023, 05:26   #421
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Do You compared your disks against IPF version of Lionheart? Its identical?
Of course. And they were. SPS got my dumps of lionheart original disks, and they matched IPF 845.

As said, lionheart was full original we never had pirate
Version of original games in France. We had one very big distributor called innelec here. Never mind loriciel and ubi soft too as distributors. They got hold of originals directly from deals with the publishers of the games.

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 27 June 2023 at 19:40.
Old 24 May 2023, 11:34   #422
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's quite interesting that UK adverts for games very often list the price while on French adverts there almost never a price given. Example: https://hol.abime.net/2779/miscshot
Old 26 June 2023, 17:30   #423
Djay
95th User

Ahhh Yeah

and a speedrun to celebrate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold.gif
Views:	605
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	79494   Click image for larger version

Name:	speed.gif
Views:	557
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	79497  

Last edited by Djay; 27 June 2023 at 00:51.
Old 27 June 2023, 10:15   #424
A500

Nice! Congrats
Old 27 June 2023, 10:58   #425
Muzza

Nice to see some enjoyment of the new features and modes thanks for posting DJay.
Old 27 June 2023, 15:34   #426
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A500 View Post
Nice! Congrats
Thank you
Old 27 June 2023, 15:37   #427
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
Nice to see some enjoyment of the new features and modes thanks for posting DJay.
No thank you, for making a wonderful remake of one of my favourite games.
Old 27 June 2023, 19:22   #428
Bren McGuire

i think blaming people for copying the game is ridiculous the amiga was well dead by that point no one could have made a dime out of it but it was easier to resort to shaming the last remaining users and its kinda weird to do that 30 years later like we know the story and how things go, please live in the present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
What do you think guys ?
Old 27 June 2023, 19:39   #429
Dunny

Quote:
THANKS GUYS !!!!!!
You are very welcome!
Old 28 June 2023, 17:35   #430
Djay
95th User

Quote:

Hey Muzza,

a little feature request

Would it possible to add an option to view highscore/speedrun times like the below pic? It would make the process of screen capturing a lot easier...

tiny detail.. the gems for the secrets should be gold not silver

also, how about a different suit colour for completing a speedrun in less than 30 minutes.. like maybe a black suit with silver trims or something (quick and dirty mock ups below)

just some ideas

anyway, thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	high.gif
Views:	363
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	79518   Click image for larger version

Name:	black2.gif
Views:	355
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	79519   Click image for larger version

Name:	black1.gif
Views:	341
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	79520  

Last edited by Djay; 28 June 2023 at 18:16.
Old 28 June 2023, 19:56   #431
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
You are very welcome!
That´s the spirit !

@ Bren McGuire

I would love to still live in the 90s but i was talking about the fact that
Thalion had put so much effort into Lionheart and yet (some) people did copy Lionheart
instead of buying it; thats all.

When i was asking "What do you think guys ?"
I was talking about maybe playing Turrican 2 AGA for a Lemon challenge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, Muzza´s Turrican 2 AGA is just fantastic,

and i am so glad that i could help to make it even better.

Turrican 2 AGA = one of my all time favorite AMIGA games

Thank you so very much Muzza

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 28 June 2023 at 20:05. Reason: Better Text formation
Old 28 June 2023, 20:27   #432
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
That´s the spirit !

@ Bren McGuire

I would love to still live in the 90s but i was talking about the fact that
Thalion had put so much effort into Lionheart and yet (some) people did copy Lionheart
instead of buying it; thats all.

When i was asking "What do you think guys ?"
I was talking about maybe playing Turrican 2 AGA for a Lemon challenge.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, Muzza´s Turrican 2 AGA is just fantastic,

and i am so glad that i could help to make it even better.

Turrican 2 AGA = one of my all time favorite AMIGA games

Thank you so very much Muzza
Lionheart was always going to be copied. However, some things to consider before we remotely think piracy was the ill of everything.

1). Lionheart had no copy protection whatsoever.

2). Thalions distribution was TERRIBLE, and I mean DIRE!

The reason why Psygnosis, Ocean, Domark, Electronic Arts did so well, is because their distribution was spot on, everywhere, all over the world.

Team 17 were pretty good, but even they sought out Ocean to deal with because their distribution was so good.

If people cannot find a game in the shops, they can't buy it, and by the time they do see it in the shops, the copied version has already found its way to them.

Had Thalion sought out a better distribution partner in their early days (i.e. not fucking Grandslam!!!), they would likely have been more successful.

They certainly didn't lack talent, and would have seen some of their games released on console as well.
Old 28 June 2023, 21:02   #433
Dunny

The holy grail of copy protection is not to be unbreakable. It's to remain intact long enough for 90% of the people who are going to buy it to do so, before the pirated copies start to flood the market. No protected software remains uncracked.
Old 28 June 2023, 22:16   #434
Torti-the-Smurf

100% agree with Galahad & Dunny

Btw; I did a SpeedRun.

One try,no autofire and no gold suit usage.

29:38

Greetings Torti

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 02 July 2023 at 13:24.
Old 29 June 2023, 00:53   #435
Djay
95th User

Just had a "Out of Chip Ram" crashed to workbench 3.1 error

WinUAE (with 8mb chip ram)
1.18 (WHDLoad version)
New Game Plus
4th lap
Crashed just after defeating Level 1-2 World Boss
Lives - 48
Score - 8 and bit million
Old 29 June 2023, 01:15   #436
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
Just had a "Out of Chip Ram" crashed to workbench 3.1 error

WinUAE (with 8mb chip ram)
1.18 (WHDLoad version)
New Game Plus
4th lap
Crashed just after defeating Level 1-2 World Boss
Lives - 48
Score - 8 and bit million

Damn. Hopefully you were able to continue using the saved progress.
WHDLoad allocates a predefined amount of RAM at start-up (about 1.7MB in this case). So more Chip RAM in your system does not make a difference. It is likely memory fragmentation that only shows up after many play through's. The game does test for this and de-fragments, but this must be a scenario that was never tested until now.
Old 29 June 2023, 02:19   #437
Djay
95th User

Quote:
WHDLoad allocates a predefined amount of RAM at start-up (about 1.7MB in this case). So more Chip RAM in your system does not make a difference. It is likely memory fragmentation that only shows up after many play through's. The game does test for this and de-fragments, but this must be a scenario that was never tested until now.
Ahh, that makes sense.. thank you for your feedback.

Wow, didn't even know that the game saves your progress... just checked and indeed it displays continue game and it looks like its the level it crashed on! Very cool. I'll try to continue at some point and I'll let you know what happens.

How do you go about saving your progress normally, is it restricted to NG+ only and i'm guessing if you start new game (other game mode) instead the progress is lost?

Also do you plan on continuing development with T2AGA, i mean its a pretty complete and solid package already but is there anything you would like to add (or open to ideas)?

Last edited by Djay; 29 June 2023 at 03:06.
Old 29 June 2023, 02:49   #438
Don_Adan

Quote:
Allocation and deallocation memory via exe calls is never good solution for programs which calls these many times. Because no memory available problem will be always occured after some calls. For me the only good solution for allocating memory is using 1 BSS and 1 BSS_C hunk, or 1 call for alloc all necessary chip memory area and 1 call to alloc all necessary fast/other memory in init routine. Your program can handle allocated memory. Of course You must alloc the biggest chip and fast area used by game in same time. I prefer to use BSS version, because is shortest, and You can see "not enough memory" information at begining, if not enough memory is available.
Old 29 June 2023, 04:49   #439
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Allocation and deallocation memory via exe calls is never good solution for programs which calls these many times. Because no memory available problem will be always occured after some calls. For me the only good solution for allocating memory is using 1 BSS and 1 BSS_C hunk, or 1 call for alloc all necessary chip memory area and 1 call to alloc all necessary fast/other memory in init routine. Your program can handle allocated memory. Of course You must alloc the biggest chip and fast area used by game in same time. I prefer to use BSS version, because is shortest, and You can see "not enough memory" information at begining, if not enough memory is available.
That is what the game does. It allocates a single block of Chip and Fast and then manages it internally. It doesn't solve fragmentation though, in fact it makes it worse in cases like this where the system has plenty of additional free RAM. WHDLoad only allows a single block to be allocated and it happens before the game code even starts running.

Consider that when the player transitions from level A to B, some game assets are required in both (so are preserved in RAM), other game assets are no longer needed (so are free'd), and then new assets are allocated.
Then when you go from level B to C, the same again, but different. Even the main display gets reallocated, for different colour/fetch modes.

Having every level release all allocations, and then the next level re-load/re-create them would solve it, but at the expense of loading times.
My less than ideal compromise was to check the largest free block size during each loading phase, and once it gets to a critical low point, do complete release and re-load of that level. It only really happens once you've done multiple play-through's of the game, and it seems I didn't tune it perfectly - although it is the first report of it in seven months of release so not all that common.
Old 29 June 2023, 05:00   #440
Muzza

Quote:
How do you go about saving your progress normally, is it restricted to NG+ only and i'm guessing if you start new game (other game mode) instead the progress is lost?
Speed run and Challenge modes don't save. Every other game mode saves the progress at the start of a level.
If you start a new game, the progress on your last game is lost, yes.

Quote:
Also do you plan on continuing development with T2AGA, i mean its a pretty complete and solid package already but is there anything you would like to add (or open to ideas)?
I may re-visit it, but I'm not sure what I'd do with it beyond some minor bug fixes. Players did seem to appreciate the new features, but I think only a small number really played the new game modes.