English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 June 2013, 17:36   #1
vasco_matias

WHDload games not playing with Radeon video card on my A1200T

Hi guys,

I recently started a 1200T project and got myself a Blizzard PPC, a Mediator, Soundblaster and Radeon video card. All's set up and graphics and music are really great.
However when I start a game on my WHDLoad it doesn't show on the screen that is connected to the Radeon card, but it goes instead through the RGB out on the 1200 motherboard.

Is there a way of playing everything through the graphics card?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Old 01 June 2013, 17:46   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
That's correct, Classic Games & Application that use native outputs for the most part cannot be displayed though the Graphics Card.

There is a cool tool you can use to promote some native screen modes called NewMode:

http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/NewMode_V39.lha

Only some Amiga CD titles and later Games/Emulators support RTG, you can read about that in the games manuals normally or readme files.

For WHDLoad Games you need a solution such as a Scan Doubler connected to a Monitor Switch box.

Personally I have an LCD TV with VGA & Scart inputs, and for anything that can't display through VGA I change the channel from PC to AV

Not the best solution, but works for me.
Old 01 June 2013, 17:46   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

Very few games will support the graphics card, so they will need to run through AGA on your 1200. The common way to combine the two is to get a flickerfixer, like the Indivision and then combine the two outputs through an automatic switch.
Old 01 June 2013, 18:20   #4
vasco_matias

I see... thanks!

Old 01 June 2013, 18:37   #5
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
A cheap but nasty method is to add a cheap pci tv card and route aga output through it. Then you can have tv software fire up when you launch a whd game and have it fullscreen or in a window to play through your gfx card.
Old 01 June 2013, 18:45   #6
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
A cheap but nasty method is to add a cheap pci tv card and route aga output through it. Then you can have tv software fire up when you launch a whd game and have it fullscreen or in a window to play through your gfx card.

ive tried this and i couldnt get it to work.(because the tv card opens in a rtg screen in a window)
Old 01 June 2013, 19:34   #7
kriz

The best would to get a scandoubler, but since no passthrough on that gfx card you need an external switch box or if your monitor got two vga inputs just switch on the monitor ..
Old 02 June 2013, 17:05   #8
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
ive tried this and i couldnt get it to work.(because the tv card opens in a rtg screen in a window)
You just need to find the right command line options for SuperTV I think and add to whdload.prefs so that whd opens and closes the tv app fullscreen when a game starts/quits. It can work, but my Amiga isn't setup this way now so I don't remember the exact options anymore.

EDIT: I remember sometimes it wouldn't go fullscreen like it should on first run, maybe because there wasn't enough time to load the exe and send the arexx command the first time around. but quitting game and relaunching usually worked as supertv was already in memory I guess.

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 02 June 2013 at 17:17.