Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 October 2006, 22:33   #41
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You just had a badly wired SCART cable.
Old 16 October 2006, 22:38   #42
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

I think the SCART cable was fine, because it worked as it was with my 1084 monitor, and with the Sony Cube monitor you can see in the photos if you follow the link in my previous post.

Apparently the 1084 and the Sony monitor didn't need pin 16 held high.

Unless of course you can tell me for a fact that the Amiga 500 really does supply the voltage on pin 16. I never got around to checking that out, because I sold the Barco and got the fabulous Sony monitor.

Here's another photo of the Sony monitor, running on a direct 15KHz RGB feed from my Frogger PCB.

Stefan Lindberg, if you're seeing this, I bought the PCB on arkadtorget!

Last edited by Sune Salminen; 16 October 2006 at 22:48.
Old 17 October 2006, 00:12   #43
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen
Unless of course you can tell me for a fact that the Amiga 500 really does supply the voltage on pin 16. I never got around to checking that out, because I sold the Barco and got the fabulous Sony monitor.
I can tell you for a fact that a correctly wired Amiga RGB SCART cable can provide the required signal for pin 16.

Nice Supergun
Old 20 October 2006, 10:00   #44
hexaae
Bug hunter

What happens if you switch to Multiscan\Productivity (29-31KHz, 60Hz) video mode (AGA) on a LCD+TV-tuner connected using a scart cable?
Can display also these resolutions or just PAL\NTSC-Amiga?

Have to know if an LCD+TV-Tuner can display PAL\NTSC and also Multiscan\Productivity Amiga video resolutions. Would be the final solution!
Old 20 October 2006, 17:35   #45
JonSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae
What happens if you switch to Multiscan\Productivity (29-31KHz, 60Hz) video mode (AGA) on a LCD+TV-tuner connected using a scart cable?
Can display also these resolutions or just PAL\NTSC-Amiga?

Have to know if an LCD+TV-Tuner can display PAL\NTSC and also Multiscan\Productivity Amiga video resolutions. Would be the final solution!

Would this not do a similar job?

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/stor...ned&tabIndex=1
Old 20 October 2006, 20:19   #46
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

truth be said Jons, I wouldn`t touch that for many reasons other than the primary that its from the evil galactic empire known as Dixsons group. LOL

I dont doubt it would work well but I doubt it has the flicker fixing feature of the one Alexh had found.

I am personally gonna get a CRT / TFT tuner box and run my miggy through from the RGB to Scart / Svideo (if i can be botherd to hit some project board and solder) for the native and plumb the graphics card through the SVGA in, so in one handy box I have the best of both worlds.. )

19" TFT for my miggy for £140 and the tuner box for £30 hmmm yummy
Old 20 October 2006, 20:57   #47
JonSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
truth be said Jons, I wouldn`t touch that for many reasons other than the primary that its from the evil galactic empire known as Dixsons group. LOL

I dont doubt it would work well but I doubt it has the flicker fixing feature of the one Alexh had found.

I am personally gonna get a CRT / TFT tuner box and run my miggy through from the RGB to Scart / Svideo (if i can be botherd to hit some project board and solder) for the native and plumb the graphics card through the SVGA in, so in one handy box I have the best of both worlds.. )

19" TFT for my miggy for £140 and the tuner box for £30 hmmm yummy
Did you get in that tuner box yet? How is it? Look good and stuff?

Jon
Old 21 October 2006, 01:35   #48
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

lol I expect the parcel of yummyness anytime soon Jon... soon... hopefully next week....

DDNI has one and sware's by it.... in a good way I am sure... not like f*king piece of s*it... more on the positive me thinks *hehe*

will stress though, I honestly dont belive that it will work as a flicker fixer, but hey i may get lucky.
Old 21 October 2006, 11:03   #49
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Yup mines excellent...

I use DBLPAL/Multiscan from the Amigas 23pin video socket via a 23 pin to 15 pin VGA convertor cable from amiga Kit, connected to my Tuner boxs' "VGA in" .

I then have my 15 KHz signals coming from the Yellow video out to the tuner box. One VGA cable then goes from the Tuner box to my TFT screen. I switch between the two with one button press on the remote.

The Mulitscan signal is as pin sharp as AGA allows!
15khz signal is a little soft though, kinda what you would see on a TV.
Old 21 October 2006, 18:36   #50
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen
I just wanted to share this bit of information.
I was trying to use my A500 with a BARCO video monitor that had a SCART input, but it didn't work. I was puzzled, because the same SCART cable worked fine with my 1084 monitor.
Some time later I tried connecting the Amiga and the monitor through the SCART input of a VCR and from the VCR's composite out to the monitor. But that didn't work either, the VCR wasn't accepting (or converting) the RGB signal.
SCART input on the BARCO worked fine when used with the VCR to watch movies and TV (had to use a VCR because the monitor didn't have a receiver).

It then dawned on me that maybe the VCR was sending a composite signal (as opposed to RGB) through the SCART, that's why it worked. I verified this by using a Composite to SCART adapter from the VCR to the monitor - picture quality was identical to when using the SCART to SCART lead.

So, how to get the SCART on the BARCO to accept a RGB signal directly?

called the importer of BARCO in Denmark and talked to a tech there, who explained to me that pin 16 on the SCART (also known as the Fast Blanking pin) needs to be fed a small voltage for the BARCO monitor to switch to RGB mode.
So, I connected a 1.5 volt battery to pin 16 and then the RGB signal from the Amiga 500 worked. Crisp and clear! I never found a more elegant solution for this and eventually I got another monitor:
http://salminen.homepage.dk/ (nice, eh!? It's for sale btw)

So if anyone tried this but got a black screen on their TV/monitor, it's because the Amiga doesn't provide the blanking voltage on the RGB output. You have to find other means of holding pin 16 high.
Hope this helps someone.
I had similar prob but with normal tv with my ps2. in that case it just required adding a wire and 120ohm resistor between between rgb switch pin8 and blanking 16.

my amiga scart lead already provides a blanking signal on pin16 so no modding required. 12v from Amiga rgb pin 22 *same as withch signal 120 ohm to pin 16.
Old 21 October 2006, 18:39   #51
hexaae
Bug hunter

Very interesting, what model is it?
So Yellow video out from Amiga gives scarce results for 15KHz?
Old 21 October 2006, 18:45   #52
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt
I had similar prob but with normal tv with my ps2. in that case it just required adding a wire and 120ohm resistor between between rgb switch pin8 and blanking 16.

my amiga scart lead already provides a blanking signal on pin16 so no modding required. 12v from Amiga rgb pin 22 *same as withch signal 120 ohm to pin 16.
mmh, can you help me with my Scandoubler problem here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26048 ? Maybe the 2 things are connected but I'm not a video-port expert...
Old 08 November 2006, 00:37   #53
Popstar

Hi, sorry to ask a question you've probably heard a gazillion times, but I want to buy an LCD / TFT television that will work with my Amiga 500.

The one I'm quoting below is the only one I've seen that seems to be able to do just that. The problem is that I can't find it anywhere. Even searching on Google on the words lcd, asda and dual doesn't give me any clues as to where I can find one. (Asda doesn't seem to sell them anymore).

So if anyone knows where these can be found, or knows of any other LCD / TFT televisions that will work on an Amiga 500 without a flickerfixer / scandoubler then please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh

Old 08 November 2006, 01:00   #54
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Most will do it... you just need to ask some questions before you buy and make sure that if it doesnt work that you can bring it back.

It has to have an RGB SCART input.

I recommend you get one that has a VGA input too so that you can use it as a monitor (although you wont have a gfx card with an A500).
Old 08 November 2006, 21:15   #55
dambuster
Zone Friend

Bought one of the Digitrex 15" lcd tv's last weekend
Tuner not tried it yet
AV1 Scart RGB/Svid/Comp - RGB excellent pic on A2000 & A1200 640x256 res
AV2 Svid/Comp-RCA + RCA stereo audio
VGA

Plus runs off a 12v power supply so will be great for the caravan - good excuse to the wife for buying it.

Paul
Old 09 November 2006, 12:01   #56
buckrogers

Don't mean to hijack, but can someone tell me the name of the game pictured below?

[/quote]
Old 09 November 2006, 13:55   #57
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Erm.. the name is in the bottom right hand of the screen!

It is XTREME Racing (2?)
Old 09 November 2006, 14:20   #58
Popstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
Most will do it... you just need to ask some questions before you buy and make sure that if it doesnt work that you can bring it back.

It has to have an RGB SCART input.

I recommend you get one that has a VGA input too so that you can use it as a monitor (although you wont have a gfx card with an A500).
I already have a tft tv with RGB SCART input, but it can't display the 15 kHz signal from the A500.

If you have any examples of LCD TVs that CAN do this (apart from the DUAL) please let me know... preferably with details on where I can order one.

Old 09 November 2006, 14:22   #59
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popstar
I already have a tft tv with RGB SCART input, but it can't display the 15 kHz signal from the A500.
It either your LCD TV doesn't have RGB SCART input as you claim or your Amiga SCART cable is incorrectly wired. I favour the latter.

Open up your SCART cable and check what is wired to pin 16.

Pin 16 (Fast Blanking) tells the LCDTV to use the SCART as RGB rather than composite video.

Because the Amiga video connector (23-pin D) doesnt have composite video, Amiga RGB SCART cables do not have composite video and so if pin 16 is incorrectly wired, and the TV you are using relies on it, you get nothing on the screen.

Last edited by alexh; 09 November 2006 at 14:35.
Old 09 November 2006, 15:50   #60
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Finally got 10mins to play with a Mig and a TFTThe Dell 2001FP models handle Amiga composite video just fine. Of course, displaying native PAL wb resolution is blurry on the default monitor setting (its upscaling or aspecting to the TFT's native 1600x1200 res), but at 1:1 its just fine (albeit less than 1/4 of the monitor area).However, when used with the TFT's PiP function, its great for using one monitor between two machiens *without* the need for a video switcher, and of course losing sight of whatever is on the other computer; which is great for troubleshooting the Amiga whilst using the PC to browse the net looking for help.Next step is to bed in the A1200, then run at a higher PAL screen res, then try the S-Video converter I have somewhere. After that, all the Amigas will be hooked up via graphics cards/scandoublers via D-SUB, to the Dells and the other 17" TFT's I have here.Hmm... wonder what I'll get if I take the Amiga RGB out and pipe that into the SPARC's video grabber, or the RT2500 analogue in ports... just because they are there :-)