English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 March 2004, 14:25   #1
abelthorne

WHDLoad and NewIcons

I seem to have a problem with WHDLoad and NewIcon icons when the NI system is not installed (i.e. when the tooltypes contain the NI informations after the "do not modify these") : I can't add/change the QUITKEY option ; whatever I put, the slave sticks to the default quitkey (F10).

I don't know if this happens too when the NI system is installed (btw, is there an easy way to install NI, without having to chase some ClassAct package which is needed for the install and that is not on aminet ?), or even if it's a WinUAE-related problem. Does it happen to anyone else ?

I'm using WHDLoad 16.1 (registered) in WinUAE with OS 3.1.
Old 02 March 2004, 15:32   #2
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

If you cant be bothered to install NewIcons Abelthorne, then you can quite easily create some normal icons to reference the slaves instead.

Saying that, am I right in thinking that Whd now has a default prefs file for quit keys and all that?
Old 02 March 2004, 16:08   #3
abelthorne

Yes, I can create/replace icons by non-NI ones, but I'm too lazy for this

Anyway, not that it does matter a lot, I was only wondering if this is a WHDLoad-bug, WinUAE-bug or an only-for-me-bug ?

I don't think there is a preference file where WHDLoad writes default settings. I guess they're included in the program itself (and they cand be changed via tooltypes only for each slave).
Old 02 March 2004, 18:39   #4
Amiga1992

Yes tehre is,

whdload.prefs in S: or something like that. Edit it at will.
Old 02 March 2004, 19:01   #5
abelthorne

Erm... I have no whdload.prefs in s:, c: (where the program is), prefs/env-archive or prefs/env-archive/sys. Also, I can't find informations about this prefs file (its structure, e.g.) in the whdload doc...

Do you have any other information about it ?
Old 02 March 2004, 20:12   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

1. s:WHDLoad.prefs is in the development archive

2. Why not just install newicons? All you have to do is copy a couple of files and run "newicons" - whatever else the installer does is not required.

3. Why exactly do you want to change the quitkey anyway? The only one that annoys me is Dark Angel installs with NumL to quit which you can't press on WinUAE (that I know of anyway!)

4. All quality installs allow you to choose between normal, newicons and OS3.5 colour icons anyway!
Old 02 March 2004, 20:33   #7
abelthorne

Quote:
1. s:WHDLoad.prefs is in the development archive
What do you mean : I have to install the dev archive or is the prefs file useful only to developers ?

Quote:
2. Why not just install newicons? All you have to do is copy a couple of files and run "newicons" - whatever else the installer does is not required.
I've installed NewIcons after my message (I'm not sure I've checked if the quitkey works, as I'm not sure which games had problems and the NI tooltypes are not displayed anymore of course), but that's not the point : as I said, it's not really a problem. All I wanted to know is if it happens to other people in case it needs to be reported to B. Jahn as a bug...

Quote:
3. Why exactly do you want to change the quitkey anyway? The only one that annoys me is Dark Angel installs with NumL to quit which you can't press on WinUAE (that I know of anyway!)
Because I like to set the same quit key ($5d, which is * on the numpad) for each of my whdload-installed games.

Quote:
4. All quality installs allow you to choose between normal, newicons and OS3.5 colour icons anyway!
Yup. But I have a lot of not-so-quality installs that do not include standard icons, or games that I find on the internet that are already installed and that have only NI icons (and I'm too lazy to extract the standard icon from the install archive for the game and use it instead ).
Old 02 March 2004, 22:12   #8
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally posted by abelthorne
What do you mean : I have to install the dev archive or is the prefs file useful only to developers ?
The S:WHDLoad.prefs file that you want to copy is ONLY the developer archive. Hence you will have to download it if you want this file.

Quote:
Because I like to set the same quit key ($5d, which is * on the numpad) for each of my whdload-installed games.
In S:WHDLoad.prefs set

QUITKEY=$5d

And all installs will now quit with PrtSc - however for some games this will be annoying as pressing PrtSc to change the external view etc will quit the game.

Quote:
Yup. But I have a lot of not-so-quality installs that do not include standard icons, or games that I find on the internet that are already installed and that have only NI icons (and I'm too lazy to extract the standard icon from the install archive for the game and use it instead ).
Every install I have created has at least a romicon and a newicon so you can at least fix those ones easily.
Old 03 March 2004, 12:14   #9
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Glad to hear PrintScr is the new default for quit key Codetapper - its always been my preferred choice over F10 or NumLock.

How many Dark Angel installs are there btw? Would it be muchos to update them all?
Old 03 March 2004, 12:44   #10
Codetapper

Arrow WHDLoad stuff

F10 is still the default quitkey used by all WHDLoad authors. This is because PrtSc doesn't exist on the A600 so we prefer not to use this. PrtSc is probably the 2nd most common key!

Dark Angel has made 48 installs himself. The majority of them probably use NumL.
Old 03 March 2004, 12:56   #11
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Ah yes...I forgot the A600 lacked that button! (I expect a slap from Akira now )

Guess old F10 isnt so bad after all then!
Old 03 March 2004, 18:39   #12
Amiga1992

Some games like Lotus use F10, but I preffer it because of the aforementioned reason. Glad to see the WHD team doesn't forget about users of this lovely machine