English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 February 2018, 08:57   #21
Gzegzolka

It would be so cool if one day this version would be released
Old 27 February 2018, 11:22   #22
sokolovic

Any news ? That's strange that such a big new isn't stiring the Amiga community.
Old 01 March 2018, 07:47   #23
spacey

i'd certainly love this to see the light of day! many fond memories of HG back in the day
Old 30 April 2018, 20:08   #24
spudje

Any updates? I hoped the retrohour interview led to a release...
Old 30 April 2018, 20:12   #25
Amigajay

No, but good reminder, he said he was putting a video together, but no show on that either!
Old 03 June 2018, 00:45   #26
Anachronist

Still no word? I would do terrible things for an improved Hired Guns.
Old 16 June 2018, 22:05   #27
danwood_uk

Hey all, just an update - I am still working on this. I've got the game booting and burned a successful CD32 image from the archives I received. However, the CD32 enhancements look like an animated intro... which doesn't work currently. It just shows a few still frames then progresses into the main game, which doesn't really look any more enhanced over the original Amiga version from initial impressions except it has CD32 controller support.

I am working with someone who has some good CDXL knowledge to try and get the intro working. The image is around 15MB so there is a good 12 MB of extra data on this version, hopefully we can unlock that goodness.

But at the moment, not really much more to show than a version of the A500 game with CD32 controller support, but it is a work in progress.

That said, I also have some very interesting artwork and internal development notes in the archive which I can hopefully share at some point, they make very interesting reading!

Last edited by danwood_uk; 16 June 2018 at 22:38.
Old 16 June 2018, 22:47   #28
NeoHippie2016
Freak

Happy

Can't waiting for...
Old 16 June 2018, 23:14   #29
Amigajay

Sounds standard for a CD32 enhanced version then, though the rumours of 256 colour in-game graphics dont look like they were true then, or either they werent passed on to the coders for the latest build at the time when they cancelled it?
Old 09 January 2019, 14:48   #30
Lorfarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwood_uk View Post
Hey all, just an update - I am still working on this. I've got the game booting and burned a successful CD32 image from the archives I received. However, the CD32 enhancements look like an animated intro... which doesn't work currently. It just shows a few still frames then progresses into the main game, which doesn't really look any more enhanced over the original Amiga version from initial impressions except it has CD32 controller support.

I am working with someone who has some good CDXL knowledge to try and get the intro working. The image is around 15MB so there is a good 12 MB of extra data on this version, hopefully we can unlock that goodness.

But at the moment, not really much more to show than a version of the A500 game with CD32 controller support, but it is a work in progress.

That said, I also have some very interesting artwork and internal development notes in the archive which I can hopefully share at some point, they make very interesting reading!

Any updates?
Old 07 February 2019, 13:15   #31
Anachronist

One of the things mentioned were improved/more sounds in the AGA version. Have you noticed any or seen any additional sound files?
Old 08 February 2019, 02:05   #32
xubidoo

i hope something comes of this at some point, loved playing it on the A1200 back in the day with the extra sound effects the A1200 gave

Old 13 February 2019, 19:37   #33
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
One of the things mentioned were improved/more sounds in the AGA version. Have you noticed any or seen any additional sound files?
I'm pretty sure the original game had improved/more sounds if you had at least 1M of fast RAM and at least 1M of chip RAM with either ECS or AGA. Don't think it had any benefit from 2M of chip RAM.
Old 16 February 2019, 11:06   #34
Anachronist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
I'm pretty sure the original game had improved/more sounds if you had at least 1M of fast RAM and at least 1M of chip RAM with either ECS or AGA. Don't think it had any benefit from 2M of chip RAM.
Yes that's right. What I'm referring to is an interview where the programmer was describing some of the differences in the unreleased AGA version and one of the things that he mentioned were more sound effects.
Old 16 February 2019, 12:38   #35
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
Yes that's right. What I'm referring to is an interview where the programmer was describing some of the differences in the unreleased AGA version and one of the things that he mentioned were more sound effects.
So was it basically an ECS version that could use 2M chipmem or did it actually use AGA-only features? The existing ECS version wants 2M total (of which 1M is chipmem), so if they did an AGA version it would still only have 2M to work with on a base A1200, but maybe they similarly would enhance the AGA version so it would fill up more chipmem with effects if you had FAST RAM?
Old 19 October 2019, 23:00   #36
xubidoo

i take it this never amounted to anything then, shame as it would have been another gem for the CD32, but sounds like it wasnt really any different from the standard A500 version, just enhanced sound effects with 2mb chip ram (same as the A1200) and maybe a decent intro.

Old 24 August 2020, 09:31   #37
wairnair

Any progress since then?

Actually, I'd gladly play the A500 version with CD32 pad support on the CD32, I don't care much about the intro. Is it available somewhere?

@danwood_uk do you think you could put it in the zone maybe?

Quote:

Old 29 July 2021, 01:32   #38
chocolate_boy

It's out there, anybody played it yet?
Old 29 July 2021, 19:13   #39
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:

you should share the iso with the amiga community asap because there is talented coders etc... everywhere in this community.
A commun effort could lead to a faster solution.
You should share this part of history.
Old 29 July 2021, 21:45   #40
chocolate_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
you should share the iso with the amiga community asap because there is talented coders etc... everywhere in this community.
A commun effort could lead to a faster solution.
You should share this part of history.
https://archive.org/details/hired-guns-cd-32-dev-files