English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 January 2016, 21:00   #61
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoeki View Post
Unless Cloanto/Hyperion/Whomever plan to retroactively destroy any and all 68k Amiga hardware, I don't see the future being that bleak, really (:
Maybe they're counting on that happening through attrition?
Old 06 January 2016, 21:50   #62
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Which leaves Hyperion with a product they've invested a great deal of time and money in having limited usefulness. They don't want the 3.1 source code out there because they need the lock-in to survive. If some enterprising hacker ports OS 3.X to x86 and includes UAE then OS4 and the PPC ecosystem is dead. It's dying anyway but this source code release leaves them incredibly vulnerable.
This is pure fantasy. The release of this source code is harmless to both Cloanto and Hyperion. No-one can use it for anything besides at a personal unreleased level, and if someone tries, the cost of one lawsuit is easily within the means of the two companies. The amount of work required to make something of it, as demonstrated by Olaf Barthel's description of his efforts, makes it extremely unlikely anyone will bother.

Now should Cloanto and Hyperion go out of business, and there becomes no active party willing to defend the rights, then the game changes. The only real damage it can do them is if they do not hold to their legal requirements, as previously discussed.
Old 06 January 2016, 22:24   #63
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Now just port it to PPC
Old 06 January 2016, 22:52   #64
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I'm guessing it was this Elayahahoo-guy who banned you? You've always seemed level-headed and well-spoken in your posts, I can't understand why anyone over there would even consider banning you for those posts.
I have been a member over on Amiga.org for getting on 20 years, but man the site has gone way down hill over the last few years. It's like a ghost town over there and very little of interest or consequence ever gets discussed. Find myself spending more and more time here.

its a shame after s many years frequenting one site. But these days EAB is soon much better - JJ
Old 08 January 2016, 05:32   #65
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
No-one can use it for anything besides at a personal unreleased level, and if someone tries, the cost of one lawsuit is easily within the means of the two companies.
Maybe they should instead spend that money on actually doing something useful rather than crying that the OS3.1 sources that have been available for years will somehow ruin everything suddenly... but since they're focused on their little niche OS for niche hardware that even the majority of their supposed "target audience" (aka the Amiga community) doesn't care about, I don't see that happening.

And uh, there's always opportunities to release things anonymously and decentralized. Hard to sue someone if you don't know who they are. (:
Old 08 January 2016, 08:33   #66
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
If some enterprising hacker ports OS 3.X to x86 and includes UAE then OS4 and the PPC ecosystem is dead. It's dying anyway but this source code release leaves them incredibly vulnerable.
Just to repeat myself: the source has been available for almost 2 decades (!) already.

And why would anyone want to "port" OS 3.x to X86? Can as well code a completely new OS from scratch!
Old 08 January 2016, 12:33   #67
ptyerman

Yeah, it would make much more sense for someone to take over the X-Amiga source code and continue with that. It is a real shame development stopped on that, it could have been better than Amithlon with a bit more work. I like Amithlon but it's lack of chipset support lets it down for me, X-Amiga had it covered on the x86 front.
Old 08 January 2016, 13:26   #68
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Someone who has code, send it to Jason Scott ( jscott@archive.org ) - I am sure he will post it on Archive, just like he has done with TOSEC and many other things.

They have experience with law and were able to ensure software is kept for safekeeping in archive.
Old 08 January 2016, 13:47   #69
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if he already had it (:
Old 08 January 2016, 14:00   #70
kamelito
Zone Friend

It would be nice to have the source codes of all Amiga demos, tools, games produced by sceners too

Kamelito
Old 09 January 2016, 04:16   #71
Knoeki
Princess Knoeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
It would be nice to have the source codes of all Amiga demos, tools, games produced by sceners too
Some demos have their sources available, at least.
Old 09 January 2016, 09:08   #72
valwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoeki View Post
I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if he already had it (:
They at least do have a copy, as they have a snapshot from a recently cleaned out public /temp/ folder