English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 05 October 2006, 02:00   #1
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

which one is the fastest transfer tool for Amiga disk to ADF or DMS ?

Since I have now been persuaded to transfer my disks to files to be able to compare them with TOSEC, instead of just comparing my versions with a .txt file of what is already in TOSEC, I am now in the need of the fastest possible transfer tool !

I am now transferring the disks to a CF card, which is attached to an A-600's pcmcia port via an adapter. The tranfer tool I have always used is the old and simple TRANSDISK.

I know there are a lot of other tools, some with grafix and easier to use, but which one is the fastest ? Speed is very important for me in this case, because it is some hundred, maybe thousands of disks to convert !!

Also, are there some DMS tools which are faster ? However, I don't think so because DMS is compressed and that takes time, but who knows ?!?

Thanks for any suggestions !
Old 05 October 2006, 03:48   #2
demoniac

Having never used transdisk, there's ADF Blitzer and TrackTool. I don't know if these are faster. http://action.reversers.net/utilities.html
Old 05 October 2006, 05:48   #3
Galaxy

Transdisk is pretty good, esp if you set it up as a button in Dopus. Just make sure you turn the verify option on as there is nothing more annoying than a bad dump!
Old 05 October 2006, 08:24   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Whatever you do, don't use DMS - it is buggy and unless you use no compression (in which case you might as well just use an ADF utility) it can create images that will not be the same as the source disk when unpacked!
Old 05 October 2006, 11:21   #5
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Thanks for making me aware about DMS ! Have heard it was buggy, but didn't know that it was that bad !!

Anyway, I have read that trackdisk.device is not as fast as it could be, and it can be speeded up a lot.
So, my question is, does TRANSDISK and other transfer tools make use of trackdisk.device ? Or is that for filesystem only ?
If it makes use I could perhaps swap the original trackdisk.device for a faster one and speed up TRANSDISK that way ?

Thanks !
Old 05 October 2006, 12:22   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Whatever you do, don't use DMS - it is buggy and unless you use no compression (in which case you might as well just use an ADF utility) it can create images that will not be the same as the source disk when unpacked!
I believe you, but I used DMS for years and never really noticed any buggered disks.... was it pure fluke? Was it I because I had a short attention span and never get off level X? (error were always on track N which was usually later in the game)

Just curious
Old 05 October 2006, 12:46   #7
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I have several disks that I save for my DMS/ADF converting tools. I have one that writes an ADF to FF0 then calls DMS on it, then unpacks the DMS and compares with the original. And unless you use no compression, the disks compress and appear to be OK but the original ADF and final version are different!