English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 15 March 2015, 01:07   #1
xboxown

Issue with my ACA 500 and ECS scandoubler for A500

I always have an issue with the ECS scandoubler. Everytime I attempt to turn my A500 I get guaranteed jibberish characters and picture error with cursor and the rest of the screen. If I switch to kickstart 1.3 I have no problem with it, but the second I enter kickstart 3.1 even boot menu screen or any screen there is jibberish and picture error from cursor to windows, etc. If I attempt to do directory and list files and it comes to scrolling the screen, the issue becomes so severe it is unreadable. I have to go back to configuring ecs, attempted to change from normal to scanline to tv emulation, back to normal to save, to quit before it fixes itself, sometimes it does not. if I boot my A500 and get the ACA500 MENU screen there is no problem with it what so ever...only when it uploaded kickstart 3.1 in memory and boot then I have issues.

Another problem I have with my A500 is that with the combination of ecs scandoubler and aca 500 if I switch to kicstart 1.3 and I await for the kickstart 1.3 disk screen I do not get it...just full white screen and disk drive ticking. If i put disk in the disk drive it loads for a second and nothing else, I have to soft reboot before it boots to disk and everything runs fine.

I have another issue with aca 500 and ecs scandoubler. If I switch to kickstart 3.1 and the A500 needs to crash, the power LED turns off, disk clicking turns off and nothing else. I have to soft reboot again in order for this to work all over again.

Another issue I have with the ecs scandoubler and aca 500 I keep getting software failure with DF0 being at fault and have to click between suspend or reboot as the choice if I attempt to go operating system beyond workbench 3.1.

So there....I feel I expressed my issues now all I ask is for help in this regard. Anyone can help me please?
Old 15 March 2015, 18:49   #2
Zippy Zapp

Hi, I don't see these issues with my newly purchased ACA500 but I don't have the scandoubler. What revision is your A500? Have you tried it on a different 500 to try to isolate if it is the card or the Amiga? Is the card on the latest firmware? Since mine is new it came with the latest but worth a check. Have you tried removing the scandoubler?

Just some thoughts...
Old 15 March 2015, 23:48   #3
xboxown

Ok the revision of my Amiga 500 is revision 5. I am sticking with this revision for life. I have no intention of going any revision than 5. Second my ACA 500 is working 100% there is no issue with my ACA 500 at all.

The ECS have the latest firmware. I removed the scandoubler and there is zero issues with it.

but when I have the scandoubler then I have issues with it in kickstart 3.1 version but ones I go to version 1.3 kickstart there is no issue at all.

So I am not so sure what is going on wrong here.
Old 15 March 2015, 23:58   #4
Zippy Zapp

The reason I asked what revision is because they are saying NTSC Rev 5 is not compatible with ACA 500. If yours is PAL it is probably fine.

If it were me I would remove the Scandoubler and see if you still have problems. If you don't then you know what to look at.

Hope you get it figured out, that sounds very frustrating.