English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 07 June 2005, 18:02   #1
Lomaxx

clean 2xscale with adjustable scanlines?

I am trying to find a WinUAE-display-configuration which satisfies the following needs, but somehow i've got the feeling it is not possible to be set so far:

- the picture should be 100% sharp (i am using a TFT)
- it should show original graphics and not any 'enhanced' modifcations
- adjustable scanlines enabled, i.e not just black once but with 30% intensity
- largest possibly output
- least CPU-usage possible

In order to get a sharp picture i have to run WinUAE with the maximum resolution of my TFT, which is 1280x1024.

Now if i use the nullfilter i get a nice,sharp,centered output with scanlines enabled via "display"-settings. Unfortunately i can not adjust the intensity of these scanlines. They are plain black. Also the picture is rather small and thus it would be nice to be able to show resolutions of less than 640x512 with a filter using a clean 2x-scale. This scale should just make the output larger, i.e. displaying each pixel as 2x2-pixelfield, and not add some enhancement to it. Of course resolutions larger than 640x512 can not be be scaled without making the pictures blurry and messing up the scanline-effect ... or without exceeding the visible area.

The D3D- and OpenGL-filter leave me with the option to adjust the scanlines but stretch the output by non-integer-values. So with them the picture does not look good as already explained above. Even by using the stretch-sliders i can not find settings that leave me with a clean scale of either 1x or 2x. Scanlines always look crappy and the picture is not 100% sharp.

The 2xSal-, Super2xSal- and SuperEagle-filters do a 2x-scale, but use up too much CPU-power and add effects that i do not want. As far as i notice these 'enhancements' luckily are not shown in the scanline-linemode (in oposite to the double-linemode), but still i am cursed with missing adjustable scanlines and a too slow emulation.

Finally the Scale2x-filter doesn't seem to slow down my computer too much, but uses more CPU-power than necessary, i guess. It's enhancement-effect does not show up in scan-line-mode, but still leaves me with no adjustable scanlines.

Recapitulating this means i can use the null-filter for resolutions higher than 640x512 and the 2xscale-filter for those lower than that. Both with scanline-mode activated and without the option to adjust them. There is no setup, that pleases ALL of my wishes. Or is there?

Solutions:

- an option to adjust scanlines in the display-settings (and not in the filter-settings)
- a clean-scale-option for D3D- or OpenGL-filters (as they already offer to adjust scanlines)
- a seperate filter offering clean scaling without enhancement, adjustable scanlines, horizontal- and vertical-centering-sliders (if needed), and maybe option to automate scaling based on the detected output-resolution and the maximum monitorresolution. For future monitoresultions scalings of 3x,4x or maybe even 5x might make sense.

I know that you might reply "go ahead and code a filter like that", but so far i can't code at all and i hope to find someone who can and who things that this would be a good option to have. Or is there already a way to archieve this?

Thanks for reading, feel free to answer.

Old 07 June 2005, 18:44   #2
billy

I've noticed that the D3D and OGL filters have good performance on my machine (1280x800 lcd), in fact when they were merged in the OGL was a huge favorite on my 4:3 screen. Though you are correct in saying that they do not provide a similar default aspect ratio to either 'no filter with line doubling' enabled, or the 'null filter with scanlines'.

The only reason I shy away from the OGL filter on my machines is because I have to twiddle the filter adjustments and still never really 'know' if I've gotten it to the 'correct' aspect ratio.

My question is, is there an easy way to adjust the filters to a "reference" image or similar?

<note:> This is not a Bitch, never was supposed to be a Bitch, and is in no way intended as such.