English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 August 2008, 00:09   #1
DarrenHD

Mouse delay/lag

Hi, i am running the just released WinUAE on a quad core amd PC with nvidia 8600GTS and 4 gigs of ram - with Windows Vista.

Anyway, the mouse seems to have a very slight delay, which makes using WinUAE a little bit annoying. It is almost like the DPI of the Amiga Mouse is less than the Windows mouse.

The Windows mouse movement and the Amiga mouse movment is off. It feels like the Amiga mouse movement is less accurate than the Windows side.

It's enough to be, as I said, a bit annoying to use. Is there any fix? I read the other thread but no real solutions...I have tried adjusting everything I can on both on the Amiga side in prefs/input and also on WinUAE configuration with windows mouse, logitech usb mouse (which is what I have), etc...but nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyone have a solution? Do I need a different type of mouse? Like a PS/2 mouse or something? Is there any way to adjust the DPI setting of the mouse? Or is it fixed?

Thanks
Old 17 August 2008, 10:29   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Creating new threads won't help..

You didn't say your winuae environment? Picasso96 workbench setup? Try "p96refresh 100" (program included in "Amiga Programs" directory)
Old 19 August 2008, 00:05   #3
DarrenHD

Hi, that does help, thanks.

I still wish I had more "resolution" on the mouse movement though. It is moving faster now than the windows mouse.

Do you think if I got a higher resolution (DPI) mouse it would help?

You can get laser mice with 1000 dpi...my mouse is just a standard logitech (wired) usb mouse with wheel....probably 200 or 300 DPI only.

I am the latest WinUAE with OS 3.9 and AmiSys 4. On Windows Vista Ultimate. Thanks
Old 19 August 2008, 00:15   #4
DarrenHD

Further to this... p96refresh 300 is even better....
Old 19 August 2008, 08:07   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Amiga mouse updates are synced to refresh rate (which is 50hz or 60hz normally). I can again say, not an emulation problem
Old 27 October 2008, 16:11   #6
woboton

Hi all. Just been getting into WinUAE on my new PC, both of which are awesome! However, I am experiencing mouse lag. It's most evident when WinUAE is active with both the Windows and Amiga mouse pointers visible. When I move the mouse the Windows pointer moves and the Amiga one moves a fraction of a second later. It makes no odds if you click and lose the Windows pointer, WinUAE responds the same.

My specs:
x64 Windows Vista
2GHz Pentium Dual Core
2GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM
ATI HD4850 connected to...
Panasonic Viera TX32LXD85 via HDMI (sound through the ATI, too)

No Vsync and I tried 720p&60Hz windowed and 576p@50Hz fullscreen. I've tried adjusting priorities, mouse settings, turning off JIT... I spent the last couple of hours trying out many settings and dozens of reboots It must either just be the way WinUAE is or there's something wrong with my computer. Can anyone shed light on this phenomenon?

*I should have said, I'm not running RTG mode.

Last edited by woboton; 27 October 2008 at 16:16.

Old 27 October 2008, 22:39   #7
Photon

Your screen has Motion Picture Pro frame smoothing which might take two frames before mixing them to produce the result (and LCDs have a conversion from RGB to picture data, which also incurs a penalty). LCDs in general perform poorly on anything that requires faster updating than 30 fps.

Apart from that, probably the normal graphics card frame buffering and input-to-pixels-move emu delay. Vice and Mame seem be better at this than most emus, and WinUAE is not bad at all.

Things are better with optical mouse on 500Hz USB, CRT @ 50, 100 or 150Hz, and setting the gfx card to "copy" instead of "flip" buffer.
Old 27 October 2008, 23:41   #8
woboton

My telly will have a bit of lag on it, but I just figured out a lot of the reason why it seems much worse than it should be. I had PAL filter enabled all this time. Doh! Now I've switched it off it's much snappier though still not completely lag-free. The direct 3D filter seems pretty damn fast as well.

I had a quick look in ATI Catalyst but it seems like everything is turned off already.