English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 March 2003, 17:30   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Unhappy Latest WinUAE no-likey UP+LEFT+FIRE

Im using the latest WinUAE with keyboard layout 'B' and when I press fire while pushing up and left it doesnt work (the fire button I mean)
Every other direction is fine except this.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Old 16 March 2003, 21:40   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Have you changed your keyboard recently?

Maybe your keyboard doesn't accept all 3 keys being pressed at the same time.. PC keyboars are crap for gaming because of that, most of them can't read more than 3 keys pressed at the same time.

Try it with another keyboard (From a different manufacturer)
Old 16 March 2003, 23:21   #3
oldpx

I suggest samsung keyboards.

Old 16 March 2003, 23:48   #4
Echo

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
PC keyboars are crap for gaming because of that, most of them can't read more than 3 keys pressed at the same time.
Yeah, and Amiga keyboards are even worse, lol. Can't press more than 1 key on a row. Nightmare for some games. Even the Speccy could handle that, remember the Interface II keyboard equivalents: 6,7,8,9,0
Old 17 March 2003, 01:06   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

No the keyboard isnt the problem because..

When pressing UP+RIGHT+FIRE, everything works fine.
But when pressing UP+LEFT+FIRE, the fire button doesnt work.

It happens with more than just one game as well so its not a game problem.

Any more ideas?
Old 17 March 2003, 02:10   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly

Any more ideas?
This problem happened to me always with my previous keypboard. the up+left+firebutton combination just didnt work. All the others did. For example, while playing R-Type, if I was firing and backing out, I couldn't press UP. I think it might be yer keyboard.
Old 17 March 2003, 02:23   #7
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Akira

Oh man that really sucks!
Old 17 March 2003, 02:27   #8
Amigaboy

It's definately the keyboard. I get button clashes whenever I play X-Men VS Street Fighter (and other VS games) since you need to press 2 punches/kicks as well as multi directions to do a super.

If you hear any type of beeping (as my computer does), then you KNOW it's a keyboard clash

Old 17 March 2003, 02:35   #9
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Theres no beeping coming from the computer, but I agree now that it is deffo the keyboard. :F*@&!
Old 17 March 2003, 02:44   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The only game I used to play using the keyboard on Amiga was Flashback, and it works greatly.

My keyboard is made by Turbo-Cat ... I doubt this brand even still existis today, as the only thing I ever saw from them is this keyboard, but let me tell you, it's just the best keyboard that exists for PC, and I am very lucky to get this keyboard with my PC.

This keyboard is about 5 years old, ALL keys are working perfectly (The space bar is a bit loose, but I think this happens with all keyboards ), and it handles 2 cursor keys pressed together with all most used keys in games (I.E. any diagonal with CTRL, SHIFT, ALT, SPACE BAR..). And this keyboard was THROW AGAINST THE FLOOR at least twice (Long story), suffered many falls, strange liquids were dropped on it, young kids used to play WWF Wrestlemania on it... and it's here, working 100%.
Old 17 March 2003, 05:54   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
Theres no beeping coming from the computer, but I agree now that it is deffo the keyboard. :F*@&!
This problem makes NO beeping. It's not a normal "key clash", seems to be some similar problem/bug created by the shitty matrix of the keyboard. The keyboard I use now is an old HP PS/2 keyboard that works just great.

I suggest you going back to your old keys, Dast!
Old 17 March 2003, 05:56   #12
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
This problem makes NO beeping.
Not all of them beep. All that I've have do (but I buy cheap ass keyboards). I've used some where they stay quiet, but you know it's happening

Old 17 March 2003, 06:18   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
Not all of them beep. All that I've have do (but I buy cheap ass keyboards). I've used some where they stay quiet, but you know it's happening
I mean, if I press 4 or so keys my PC starts beeping, but this doesn't happen when this particular problem occurs
Old 31 March 2003, 15:07   #14
mtb

I've always had this problem, and i always thought it was my keyboard!
I'll try another one ( i have just found an old pc in the trash ( good place for an old pc ) with an old keyboard, but it has a large ps2 connector - if the large to small adaptor is cheap i'll buy it )

Quote:

Any more ideas?
Old 10 December 2005, 21:21   #15
sopia

keyboard probs

I also have exactly the same problem. It is not the keyboard as it is a new keyboard. I have tried other keyboards with the same results. I have tried fiddling with the winuae keyboard settings (version 1.1.1) with no luck. I have tried adjusting the keyboard input rates using the keyboard manager in control panel (win xp) with no luck.

All other keyboard move/fire combinations work except "layout b, diag up left + fire"

It is not the adf as I have tried layout c in which this combination does work but up+right+fire does not work. The problem also occurs on more than one adf.

Any suggestions?

Old 12 December 2005, 18:36   #16
mtb

Quote:
I also have exactly the same problem. It is not the keyboard as it is a new keyboard. I have tried other keyboards with the same results.
2 years later...

Almost all pc keayboards have this problem, it's not your keyboard, it's a problem of almost every pc keyboard.

To say one, i'm using Linux and i have the same problem with euae, xmame and openmsx, using a BTC 9001A ps2 keyboard.

I remember especially playing toki with the keyboard was almost impossible.

If you for example try with mame or with another emu you'll find the very same problem.

In order to avoid the problem i can only say buy a joypad, for 5-10 euro you'll find a 100% digital.

Or you can build/buy an adaptor if you still have your amiga joypads, but there are adaptors even for snes, nes and so on.

E.g. i have bought a thrustmaster with 4 buttons for the right hand and 4 buttons on the front for something like 7 euros.
Anyway buttons are quite hard to be pressed and 6 buttons for the right hand are better for other emulators like mame.