English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 September 2010, 19:17   #1
systmcrsh

connecting 2 amigas via serial cable (midi/octamed)

i have 2 a600s and had read somewhere that you could connect them together via a serial cable to transmit midi data and sync octamed on 2 machines, giving you a total of 8 channels of audio.

the octamed manual doesn't mention a serial cable specifically, but i thought to give it a shot because i only have 1 midi interface and its broken.

anyone know if this is possible? would it be a null modem cable? im not opposed to hacking together my own cable, but i dont want to blow anything up
Old 20 September 2010, 19:45   #2
systmcrsh

um nevermind... i found this: http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/SerialCable and this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995...miganotes.html
Old 20 September 2010, 21:52   #3
XimeR

Isn't Octamed already 8 channels, hence the Octa part?
Old 20 September 2010, 22:24   #4
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by XimeR View Post
Isn't Octamed already 8 channels, hence the Octa part?
Actually, that's a common misconception.

The story behind the naming is an interesting one.
The author was vacationing with his family one summer.
While sailing on the Mediterranean Sea, he was accidentally knocked into the ocean. Unfortunately, his family had just competed in a round of Uzo drinking games, and it went unnoticed.

As he sank to the bottom of the sea, he was rescued by an Octopus, who explained that he was the King of that domain and that the author would be his prisoner. As things were going so badly for the kingdom, he would have to trade the prisoner.
Intrigued, he asked the King what was going wrong.
The King explained that they were once a very musical kingdom. However, they had lost their Lobster musician (who had said something about going to Hollywood and making it big with Disney) and the kingdom was crumbling without music.

The author explained that he was working on a piece of magic (he called it "software) that would allow the simple creation of music. If he were released, he would finish it and collect all the music created and provide it to the King.

The King was hesitant, but he trusted this young man, so he did as requested.

As a result, the author released this software, named it OctaMed in honor of the King, and began collecting music to save the kingdom.

When he finally returned will all the music he had collected, he swam to the bottom of the ocean, only to find out that the entire area was accidentally destroying when someone was laying an oceanic fiber optic cable.

desiv

(Hmm.. Maybe I should start taking my meds again..)
Old 21 September 2010, 03:52   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
And quit smoking mary...
Old 21 September 2010, 08:54   #6
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Actually, that's a common misconception.

The story behind the naming is an interesting one.
The author was vacationing with his family one summer.
While sailing on the Mediterranean Sea, he was accidentally knocked into the ocean. Unfortunately, his family had just competed in a round of Uzo drinking games, and it went unnoticed.

As he sank to the bottom of the sea, he was rescued by an Octopus, who explained that he was the King of that domain and that the author would be his prisoner. As things were going so badly for the kingdom, he would have to trade the prisoner.
Intrigued, he asked the King what was going wrong.
The King explained that they were once a very musical kingdom. However, they had lost their Lobster musician (who had said something about going to Hollywood and making it big with Disney) and the kingdom was crumbling without music.

The author explained that he was working on a piece of magic (he called it "software) that would allow the simple creation of music. If he were released, he would finish it and collect all the music created and provide it to the King.

The King was hesitant, but he trusted this young man, so he did as requested.

As a result, the author released this software, named it OctaMed in honor of the King, and began collecting music to save the kingdom.

When he finally returned will all the music he had collected, he swam to the bottom of the ocean, only to find out that the entire area was accidentally destroying when someone was laying an oceanic fiber optic cable.

desiv

(Hmm.. Maybe I should start taking my meds again..)
Or writing kids books..

Chris
Old 29 October 2010, 16:14   #7
systmcrsh

finally got around to making this... im terrible at soldering, so i decided to get 2 modular rj45/db25 adapters and link them via a standard ethernet cable (after pinning the adapters appropriately). nice thing is the cable length can be adjusted easily by just swapping the ethernet cable.

i havent tested it out yet, but i'm sure its gonna work.

Old 29 October 2010, 17:32   #8
desiv

It should as long as they are wired correctly.
That's what I use for serial transferring ADF's using transwarp.
Cisco includes (or used to anyway) those ready made with their routers/switches, so I had some lying around...

desiv
Old 06 November 2010, 15:13   #9
systmcrsh

tried it out last night + worked perfectly... just thought id update the thread confirming that it works