English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 January 2019, 10:12   #21
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShK View Post
Standalone will give you a chance to buy a new Amiga instead of Windows PC.
To do what? work on the Workbench while watching a TV in streaming or working on Office while doing a rendering, we are objectives and we look at today's reality
Old 24 January 2019, 10:13   #22
grond

WinUAE may be faster and, as it is more mature, more compatible at the time being, however, the WinUAE uses JIT to reach its incredible speed which means that a lot of things will behave non-linearly. The 080-CPU of the Vampire, on the other hand, is a real CPU directly executing 68k code without a big translation layer running in a big operating system to then execute AmigaOS and thus gives a more accurate overall AmigaOS experience. This may sound slightly esoteric but it is my personal perception. Furthermore, with WinUAE you will always be bound to Windows's screenmodes which will almost certainly not be 50 Hz modes while the Vampire can output 50 Hz digital graphics modes. This alone will make playing games a better experience on the Vampire because you can avoid the microstutter this way.
Old 24 January 2019, 10:19   #23
Taylan Can

Availability:

Apollo Team expects first batch of Vampire V4 to be available in Q4’17. An official ETA will be announced once first batch order is processed at factory.

hopeless waiting....
Old 24 January 2019, 10:22   #24
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes grond, theoretically it should be like that, but at the moment the less potential, less compatibility and its cost makes WinUAE prefer that he too has a "daily" flow
Can not a modern computer have performance of 30 years ago and be less than an emulation, no modern computer has lower performance than its emulator
Old 24 January 2019, 10:33   #25
grond

Well, it just comes down to personal preferences. To me UAE (I don't run Windows) is a very useful tool. I can use it to write code in a computer that doesn't need rebooting each time my code crashes and that doesn't corrupt my harddisk while crashing. Once the code does what I expect it to do, I can test the program on the real Amiga and see whether it does the same as in UAE. Very comfortable and probably the way most people write code for Amiga these days.

However, I just don't want to use UAE for anything else. It just doesn't feel Amiga to me other than showing the horrible limitations of 30 years old software. It doesn't smell like an Amiga, it doesn't look like an Amiga, it doesn't behave like an Amiga, it doesn't click like an Amiga, it doesn't feel like an Amiga when typing etc. etc.

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that UAE just doesn't meet my personal preferences.
Old 24 January 2019, 10:37   #26
ShK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
To do what?
e.g take your Amiga with you to LAN parties and do an amiga things with your Amiga.

Old 24 January 2019, 10:45   #27
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
However, I just don't want to use UAE for anything else. It just doesn't feel Amiga to me other than showing the horrible limitations of 30 years old software.
UAE is not WinUAE, you should try it instead, if you love AmigaOS you will be at home. I have so many Amigas A4000/060 A1200/060, A600HD, A500Plus, A500, CD32 SX32 i have not used for 25 years, but I use WinUAE daily, for me it is the fastest and most performing Amiga ever.
Old 24 January 2019, 10:50   #28
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
e.g take your Amiga with you to LAN parties and do an amiga things with your Amiga.
Yes, I take my AfA-OS to a PenDrive and start it anywhere on any computer, I can also bring coffin from me reconfigured, see video

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 April 2019 at 09:59.
Old 24 January 2019, 10:51   #29
ShK

Thank you for your input, but this thread is not about Windows PCs nor emulators. Not even of the traditional accelerator boards, but about the something new which is coming.
Old 24 January 2019, 10:52   #30
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
UAE is not WinUAE, you should try it instead, if you love AmigaOS you will be at home.
There is nothing that would EVER make me consider buying Windows. No WinUAE for me.
Old 24 January 2019, 10:57   #31
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Thank you for your input, but this thread is not about Windows PCs nor emulators. Not even of the traditional accelerator boards, but about the something new which is coming.
I just replied, pity that with those who love vampire you can never discuss
Old 24 January 2019, 11:02   #32
grond

Well, we all understood your point and assume you understand ours. If not, there is no need to discuss further. If yes, we simply agree to disagree. It is that simple. There is no one-size-fits-all-Amiga. Neither the Vampire nor UAE will satisfy each and everyone's Amiga needs.
Old 24 January 2019, 11:45   #33
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Thank you for your input, but this thread is not about Windows PCs nor emulators.
The Vampire if it is not very different from an Emulator, since it starts more OS and uses a similar strategy to the emulator
Old 24 January 2019, 11:53   #34
ShK

Do not get me wrong, I really like WinUAE. I have even supported WinUAE development with a PayPal donation, but I find this discussion totally off-topic.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:04   #35
AMIGASYSTEM

The discussion is civil, everything can be useful for information, I think this was appreciated by those who had some doubt or little knowledge.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:23   #36
Daedalus

Quote:
Do not get me wrong, I really like WinUAE. I have even supported WinUAE development with a PayPal donation, but I find this discussion totally off-topic.
But you raised a point that deserves to be answered. In what way would a standalone be a substitute for a new PC?
Old 24 January 2019, 12:27   #37
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
But you raised a point that deserves to be answered. In what way would a standalone be a substitute for a new PC?
He didn't say that. He said that you will be able to buy a new Amiga (=V4) and not buy a Windows PC instead which you would need to run WinUAE. Obviously the mere idea that people do not own Windows PCs seems unthinkable to some.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:30   #38
Daedalus

But that's exactly what he is saying, that the stand-alone will mean some people won't have to buy a windows PC. I'm well aware that there are many people who don't own Windows PCs. I'm also aware that UAE variants are available for almost every computing device out there. It seems very strange to consider the possibility that someone would buy a windows PC exclusively to run WinUAE.
Old 24 January 2019, 12:35   #39
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Obviously the mere idea that people do not own Windows PCs seems unthinkable to some.
If 90% of the world's people use it there will be a reason, I know and use many OS but Windows is the only one that offers me and satisfies my needs
Old 24 January 2019, 12:51   #40
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
But that's exactly what he is saying, that the stand-alone will mean some people won't have to buy a windows PC.
What's there not to understand? I don't own a Windows PC. However, I do own a PC that suits all my daily computing needs and that is NEITHER a Windows PC NOR an Amiga. To run WinUAE I would have to either buy Windows or a Windows PC. Buying a V4 to do Amiga things (and very fast at that) is an alternative to having to get a Windows PC. This is not the same as saying that the V4 will make ANY type of modern PC superfluous.

Are you getting it now or are you just here to troll another Vampire-related thread?