English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 September 2015, 15:15   #81
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

This looks really nice and is exactly what I was looking for: using the original Amiga mouse is a horrible experience when one is used to much more efficient modern ones.

However I initially got confused by the term joystick: in the Amiga world this refers to digital ones but most PC ones will be fully analog. So I think it would not hurt if it was precised somewhere that this device can properly emulate an Amiga analog joystick.

I would also have two more questions about it:
  • Is it possible to emulate an Amiga analog joystick when plugging in a pad with analog sticks?
  • How hard/easy would it be to update the firmware to support additional joystick protocols? The CD32 protocol is supported but others like the MegaDrive or Saturn ones would be really nice as well. (These would require WHDLoad support but this part is easy).

Thanks!
Old 01 October 2015, 10:17   #82
spidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Ok, that was what I expected. Then one of these should work:

Or should it be inversed? This looks like it is straight-through.

How much work is involved in reflashing the software from one mode to the other? Just connecting to a USB port and running the software?

This one works for sure (your looks the same).

Run the software, press the switch on RyśMKII and connecting the USB A-A cable to the PC.
Old 01 October 2015, 10:22   #83
spidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
This looks really nice and is exactly what I was looking for: using the original Amiga mouse is a horrible experience when one is used to much more efficient modern ones.

However I initially got confused by the term joystick: in the Amiga world this refers to digital ones but most PC ones will be fully analog. So I think it would not hurt if it was precised somewhere that this device can properly emulate an Amiga analog joystick.

I would also have two more questions about it:
  • Is it possible to emulate an Amiga analog joystick when plugging in a pad with analog sticks?
  • How hard/easy would it be to update the firmware to support additional joystick protocols? The CD32 protocol is supported but others like the MegaDrive or Saturn ones would be really nice as well. (These would require WHDLoad support but this part is easy).

Thanks!

I think [ Show youtube player ] movie should answer one of your questions
Old 01 October 2015, 23:07   #84
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidi View Post
I think [ Show youtube player ] movie should answer one of your questions
Does Galaga accept analog joysticks or is the device converting analog pad input to digital?
Old 01 October 2015, 23:14   #85
spidi

Quote:
Does Galaga accept analog joysticks or is the device converting analog pad input to digital?
It works using the RyśMKII interface. This interface makes the conversion.
Old 02 October 2015, 01:15   #86
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Spidi, offtopic but can you tell something about the progress with your sound card please?
Old 02 October 2015, 03:31   #87
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
It works using the RyśMKII interface. This interface makes the conversion.
I apologize if I am as dense as a brick but I still do not get it.

The page lists these joystick modes:
Quote:
  • 1 blink – „Joystick” mode
  • 2 blinks – „Pad” mode
  • 3 blinks - „Pad - mouse emulation” mode
But I have a hard time mapping them to the kind of inputs the Amiga sees in each mode. Let me try to explain why I am confused.

The Amiga can distinguish (roughly) three types of inputs in its DB9 ports:
DIGITAL: digital joystick, two digital axis plus three digital buttons
ANALOG: analog joystick, two analog axis plus three digital buttons
MICE: kittenmouse, two quadrature encoded analog axis plus three digital buttons

I guess that the mapping is the following:
  • 1 blink
    ->
    DIGITAL.
  • 3 blinks
    ->
    MICE.

But I am not sure whether "2 blinks" generates DIGITAL or ANALOG types of input.

Also, ideally I would love to be able to generate ANALOG inputs from a digital joystick (off = 0, on = 255), and vice-versa.

I hope I managed to be clearer this time.
Old 04 October 2015, 21:32   #88
spidi

Quote:
I apologize if I am as dense as a brick but I still do not get it.

The page lists these joystick modes:

But I have a hard time mapping them to the kind of inputs the Amiga sees in each mode. Let me try to explain why I am confused.

The Amiga can distinguish (roughly) three types of inputs in its DB9 ports:
DIGITAL: digital joystick, two digital axis plus three digital buttons
ANALOG: analog joystick, two analog axis plus three digital buttons
MICE: kittenmouse, two quadrature encoded analog axis plus three digital buttons

I guess that the mapping is the following:
  • 1 blink
    ->
    DIGITAL.
  • 3 blinks
    ->
    MICE.

But I am not sure whether "2 blinks" generates DIGITAL or ANALOG types of input.

Also, ideally I would love to be able to generate ANALOG inputs from a digital joystick (off = 0, on = 255), and vice-versa.

I hope I managed to be clearer this time.
RyśMKII translates the signals into only digital form on port DB9.
Old 04 October 2015, 21:35   #89
spidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Spidi, offtopic but can you tell something about the progress with your sound card please?
I'm adding FIFO buffer for data. Temporarily stopped work because I am finishing another project.
Old 04 October 2015, 22:36   #90
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
RyśMKII translates the signals into only digital form on port DB9.
I see, thanks for your answer.

Would you eventually make a version which can support all three modes?
I would definitely be a customer. (*)

Being able to use a PC USB analog joystick as an Amiga digital one is nice but being able to use it as analog for games which support it would be great.

(*) I might actually purchase the Ryś as it is but I'm still evaluating which it's the best USB adapter.
Old 10 October 2015, 10:03   #91
oissery77

Quote:
XBox360 wireless controller still does not work (I'm working on a special driver for RyśMKII). XBox360 controller wired did not check (I do not have).
ok thanks great news for the new driver about XBox360 wireless controller . About the wired XBox360 controller, if you or one of your custumer can test it and if it's working, i'll order one RyśMKII

I've posted a topic on amibay asking if someone have tested it with a wired controller:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...oller&p=729324

Last edited by oissery77; 10 October 2015 at 10:18.
Old 10 October 2015, 12:45   #92
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

my requested addressing of one fire button to "up" for platform games and racing games that use "up" for jumping/accelerating instead of a fire button is still being considered?

i think it would transform for the better the playability of many games.
Old 15 October 2015, 13:53   #93
MrX_Cuci

Is there any latency on the Amiga side of things? I want to use it with a Competition Pro USB (the same one that's in the compatability list)

I might use the CD32 controller in WinUAE on a PC.
Old 15 October 2015, 14:07   #94
Total Eclipse

Sorry, I see there are many questions being asked, but are there any plans to make a version that can also be flashed to run on the Atari ST?
Old 15 October 2015, 18:53   #95
spidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX_Cuci View Post
Is there any latency on the Amiga side of things? I want to use it with a Competition Pro USB (the same one that's in the compatability list)
Software available on my website there will be problems with the service model Competition Pro USB (SL-6603-SPORTS-EU). Other models of this joystick will be supported in an upcoming firmware version.

Quote:
I might use the CD32 controller in WinUAE on a PC.
Currently it should act only in joystick mode.
Old 15 October 2015, 18:59   #96
spidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
Sorry, I see there are many questions being asked, but are there any plans to make a version that can also be flashed to run on the Atari ST?

Here are versions for different platforms (Amiga, C64/C128, Atari ST, PC/MAC).
Old 16 October 2015, 20:13   #97
MrX_Cuci

Quote:
Software available on my website there will be problems with the service model Competition Pro USB (SL-6603-SPORTS-EU). Other models of this joystick will be supported in an upcoming firmware version.
I don't understand. You mean no problems right? It's on your compatibility list. (6603 sports eu edition)
Old 16 October 2015, 22:40   #98
spidi

Quote:
I don't understand. You mean no problems right? It's on your compatibility list. (6603 sports eu edition)
Yes NO problems (sorry, I lost "no"), no support for the SL-6603-SBK.
Old 26 October 2015, 04:02   #99
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

I just bought one RyśMKII from vesalia.de and I must say that I was pretty surprised that all other resellers listed on the site require a login to be able to pay. These people just lost any hope of seeing me as a customer and I am glad Vesalia did not follow this trend.

I will be testing the Ryś with a Razer mouse and an old Logitech Wingman, I see that neither are present in the list of tested devices so I will give you feedback as soon as I can test this kitten.
Old 01 November 2015, 21:32   #100
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

I received the Ryś MKII today and went on to test it with a few rodents I have lurking around the house.

After the initial plug it did not show any LED light (the Amiga was already powered on) and stayed light-less when I plugged in an Saturn-USB adapter. Plugging the Saturn-USB adapter in and out did not change a thing. But after cycling the Amiga on and off and removing the Rys and plugging it back it finally came to life and seems to work just fine. Phew.

I then tested it with:
  • The Raphnet Saturn to USB adapter (http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products...n_usb_adapter/) with a SEGA MK 80-117 Saturn analog stick (https://www.google.ca/search?q=sega+...17%22&tbm=isch) plugged in:

It seems to be recognized as a mouse, the mouse cursor moves erratically whenever any buttons or sticks are manipulated, switching the MK 80-117 between analog and digital modes does not change this behaviour.

I tried to press the START (9) button when plugging the pad in but this did not result in any LED flashing or change in behaviour.
  • A Logitech M-BB48 mechanical mouse:

It works fine with both buttons properly recognized. I have not tested if the third mouse button worked since I do not have appropriate Amiga software for that.
  • An HP-branded Logitech M-UAE-96 mouse (this is the default mouse shipped with most HP computers):

Weirdly enough, is seems to accept only diagonal movements. Although it is definitely possible to position the mouse cursor everywhere on the screen, only diagonal movements can be used to get there.
    This is really weird!
    I also tested it with Space Harrier and the issue is (obviously) also present there: the character moves only along diagonals.
  • A Razer Naga RC30-012301:

Same issue as the HP/Logitech mouse above: as a strong tendency to follow diagonals.
    I actually noticed something interesting while testing this one: its sensitivity is quite high and moving the mouse much slower actually results in correct behaviour:
    • Moving the mouse slowly left/right/up/down results in correct, quick movements of the cursor.
    • Moving the mouse a bit faster results in slower diagonal movements in the general desired direction which seems to be of one pixel per frame. As if some kind of hardware counter was saturated and the mouse ended up storing +/- 1 movement values for each axis.

For now the Logitech mechanical mouse works well enough to replace the horrible tank mouse but clearly I would prefer to be able the optical ones instead.

If you wish to add support for the diagonally-perverted mouses do not hesitate to ask me if you want me to do some more tests.