English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 31 December 2008, 11:51   #1
HonoredShadow
Zone Friend

Sound problem with WinUAE

I have been using WinUAE for a fair few years now and never had any sound problems at all with my Creative Audigy 1 card.

I noticed a few versions ago that now when I play games that I get a strange distortion in and at the end of sounds. For example music playing in a game will crap out at the end with a fart noise (come on, be more descriptive lol).

Anyway I put it down to reading on this site that WinUAE has gone through some changes recently with the sound and was leaving it till a later date and version to see if the problem fixed itself. It has not.

So my question is what is the best way of fixing this? I could change the buffer but is that the best way?

Btw my drivers are ALL up to date as im mad like that and I have a fresh up to date version of 32bit XP SP3.

My PC:

E4500 Core2Duo
2 gig RAM
640meg 8800GTS graphics card
Audigy 1 (gamer) sound card

Fresh install of WinUAE (latest and beta)

Thank you all in advance.

Sy.
Old 31 December 2008, 12:35   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Just checking the basics first, does it happen if you use A500 quickstart configuration, some basic A500 game or demo in windowed mode without any filters?

What does SND% and CPU% show when the problem happens? (SND% should stay between -15% to 15% and CPU% under 100%)

Does same happen if you use OpenAL sound mode? (http://connect.creativelabs.com/open...ds/oalinst.zip if driver does not have it built-in)
Old 31 December 2008, 13:31   #3
HonoredShadow
Zone Friend

I know why it's doing it now (cause of me) but I don't know how to fix it and get the display right.

Basically the SND is going to +300 or so and the CPU up to 100%. The reason I have found is this. What I have been doing is trying to set the screen correct for my HDTV so I have been clicking quick start, A500 then set configuration.

Then I have been going into Fullscreen+VSync and selecting my res of 1280x768 32bit. Then clicking double line mode and Horizontal and Vertical centering.

Then its still not right so I have to use Null Filter and 4:3 and all is great! The screen is always centered and take up all the room in the centre of the screen! BUT. As soon as I enable Null Filter that is when the numbers go through the roof. But that seems the only way to set it up for my screen unless you know another way to centre it correctly and take up the full 4:3 screen (ish).

The sound stutter happens even if I pick OpenAL or any other option but as soon as I deselect Null its stops stuttering.

How do others get the screen correct for a HDTV?

EDIT: If I select Direct3d or OpenGL I get garbage at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks.
Old 31 December 2008, 13:38   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoredShadow View Post
As soon as I enable Null Filter that is when the numbers go through the roof. But that seems the only way to set it up for my screen unless you know another way to centre it correctly and take up the full 4:3 screen (ish)
Try adjusting "Display buffer" setting in Misc-panel. Do you have PCI-E or AGP display card?
Old 31 December 2008, 13:42   #5
HonoredShadow
Zone Friend

PCI-E. The card is 16 X but the mobo is only 4X so its set to that in bios. Will try what you suggested.

The card works brilliant with Doom3 and Oblivion etc...

Thanks.
Old 31 December 2008, 13:51   #6
HonoredShadow
Zone Friend

I set the Display buffer to System memory at it worked! Thanks a bunch Toni. You just made my girlfriend very happy

She can now play Flashback again.

I have been reading this site for a few years and I think the work you do is amazing. I just want to say thank you for all the hard work and effort you put into this program and the time spent helping people out.

All the best for the new year!

Sy.