English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 June 2009, 22:19   #41
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
That's a very easy question for me, winning the 2001 Kick Off 2 World Cup and receiving the trophy from Steve Screech himself will always be my finest moment:

Old 14 June 2009, 22:24   #42
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@alkis21
That is indeed a great moment (Very) belated congratulations
Old 15 June 2009, 06:52   #43
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

That I can still finish Sabre Wulf on the Speccy without using a map.
Old 29 June 2009, 13:53   #44
trackah123
Amiga User

Not sure if you mean greatest moments in life or Amiga-related.

But.

I had an MSX Sony Hitbit before and i hated it when i was like 10 years old and my uncle had a Amiga 500 i loved it i always stayed there to sleep and play on it.
Amiga related i would say the greatest moment was when i got my first own Amiga 500 with the game Ducktales - Quest for Gold included my parents gave me it
Old 29 June 2009, 14:27   #45
Photon

First time I saw an Amiga (first Nebulus on A1000, which was a $2500 computer and therefore out of reach, then Barbarian (Psygnosis) marsh monster with glowing eyes on A500.)

Making bombs in Exile

Discovering the first add-on weapon in Gravity-Force. Suddenly the game opened up.

Walking in those slanted Giger-levels in Turrican and being absorbed by the music.

First hating the intro music and graphics in Datastorm, and then when I got good at it, I flip-flopped! After that I always played through the intro so I could listen to the music before I started playing Strange.

First time I completed a level in Virus playing with keyboard.

Landing on the sub in F/A-18 Interceptor. Wow. What a game!

Later, on consoles:

Biked to a friend for a week during Xmas, renting a Nintendo 64 every day just to play Mario World 64! Lava levels with sitar music...

Later, on the PC:
Checking for monsters under the bridge to the silver key in Quake, playing with keyboard only on a 486, and tilting my head to peek, instead of tilting the view. Talk about being "in the game"!

SW:JK, Driver, RtCW.

Being scared awake at mornings by Doom III (try it, was better than coffee!)

The big monster in the roman baths level in HL2.

Last edited by Photon; 29 June 2009 at 14:33.
Old 30 June 2009, 10:58   #46
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
The big monster in the roman baths level in HL2.
Huh? Roman baths level? Are you really talking about HL2 here?
Old 30 June 2009, 17:53   #47
Harrison
classicamiga.com

One of my personal greatest moments that sticks in my head was completing Pulsator on the CPC464.

Another that sticks in my mind was the first time I completed Knights of the Old Republic on the Dreamcast.

What else... finally having enough money in Guild Wars to buy a complete Monk 15K armour set.
Old 30 June 2009, 18:53   #48
CongealedWallrs

My best and worst ever gaming moments were when I would rarely get as far as my Atari ST could go in Gods before it would crash at the same bloody point!

It was about 2 stages into the Labyrinth level. Each damn time I would pray that my ST would not crash and it did each time and then BAM!

Eventually I broke my ST and that was my second best ever gaming moment. My third best was breaking Super Mario 3 with my bare heel. Freedom!!

I'm not much good at games
Old 30 June 2009, 20:13   #49
trackah123
Amiga User

Maybe you had a bad release of GODS on ST? or corrupted disk.

I had that with Giana Sisters when i went into the bonus levels (the gaps with the blue dots). once i went in there i got stuck all the sprites messed up on my A500.
Old 01 July 2009, 17:01   #50
Shoonay
Global Caturator

My greatest moment on the PSX? With Soul Blade my best gaming friend got imported from UK.

We ran it, we seen the intro... we've reset the console, watched the intro again.
Reset.
Watched again.
Powered off the console.
Got some hot boiled herbs to calm our excitement.
Powered on, seen the intro again.

Seriously, the intro's muzak and graphic quality slammed us with a fist full of rocks and we enjoyed that sadomasochistic experience to the full.
Old 01 July 2009, 17:30   #51
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Achieving 'Elite' level in the C64 version of Elite without cheating and managing to complete all of the special missions... I felt 20 feet tall and l33t as f**k at the time..........
Old 05 July 2009, 12:53   #52
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I quite liked Fade to Black on the PC, but because my PC at the time was a heap of shit, I couldn't ever play it with sound because the game would crash!

Jumping Flash on PS was a good but short one, and i've completed god knows how many games on PS2 and PS3 now
Old 05 July 2009, 12:56   #53
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Jumping Flash on PS was a good but short one, and i've completed god knows how many games on PS2 and PS3 now
Oh yeah, forgot about that one, thanks G.
JF, the first and only game where I felt afraid of high places.
Old 05 July 2009, 13:22   #54
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
you mean a simple "game over"?
No, there are 3 endings in Gothic III, good, bad, and "neutral"
Old 05 July 2009, 15:12   #55
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

My greatest gaming moments (all without cheats or hints):
1. completing Faery Tale (what a bloody huge game)
2. getting to the end of Shadow of the Beast (before getting killed by the big toe)
3. completing Dune II (last level is a bastard!)
4. beating Super Nashwan in Speedball II: 702 to 2! (bit upset they scored in the last few seconds)
5. winning F1 Grand Prix by smashing all other cars

Non-Amiga (not cheating):
1. completing Half-life (many times), Halo, DOOM (many times, many ways), Warcraft II, Quake II
2. completing Rad Warrior a.k.a Antirad (CoCo 3), Blue Max (Atari 800), looping level 9 many times in Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 800)
3. Half-life: getting all three scientists into the lift, then sending it up with a bomb in it. (kaboom!)
4. Half-life: getting a scientist to follow me into an end-of-level revolving door, which then crushes him (usually impossible)
5. Doom: blasting all monsters from one level into a lava pit they normally don't get into

(lots of other funny Half-life and Doom achievements I can't remember at the moment)
Old 05 July 2009, 15:22   #56
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
getting past bloody april at wings (my savedisk got corrupted before completing the game though ) I swear I was there trenched before my A500 for three days
Old 07 October 2009, 05:01   #57
Mogilny

I have three moments which stand out:

1. Finishing KGB on the Amiga (jeez, a great game but it was 100 percent frustration at times)
2. Finishing Airwolf on C64 (pretty short game but damn, this was tough as a kid)
3. Managing to land the plane on the ship in Wings of Fury (probably a piece of cake for some but as a kid I found this very hard)
Old 07 October 2009, 16:20   #58
BrooksterMax

Amiga greatest moment,

The first day we got an Amiga. I remember my parents came home - maybe it was my Dad walked in through the door with this huge box. It was the Cartoon Classics A500+ pack.

I remember the first arguments with my sister over using it, damm I hated her for that.

I think the best moment was find the say program on Workbench and making the Amiga speak very rude words hehe that was funny (well if you are 10) and my parents were not impressed.
Old 07 October 2009, 16:31   #59
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Quote:
making the Amiga speak very rude words hehe that was funny (well if you are 10) and my parents were not impressed.
oh really

damn parents they're all the same, always missing the fun when you're below 14 years old
Old 07 October 2009, 16:51   #60
AB Positive
kachou ON!

My favorite is beating Final Fantasy (NES) for the first time. Using my favorite config (Warrior/Red/White/Black mages) and going in to fight Chaos WAY early, I think I was only around lvl. 19 or so when the guide recommended 25ish or something.

I knew it'd be a slaughter. Chaos got my party down to just the warrior hovering at 2HP, no items left. "Well that's it" I thought as I chose "Fight" and... BOOM - Down goes Chaos! I ran out my house and did a lap around the block for that one.

Other favorites - my first AAA in Dance Dance Revolution... getting the 108 stars ending in Suikoden I... and another favorite although a recent accomplishment - No-Hit full victory in Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

... yep... didn't get hit once. I've tried to redo it in front of an audience for witnesses but always get nervous and get nailed by that wonky Soda Popinski somewhere down the line. Grarg.