English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 10 September 2020, 00:29   #1
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Buy from Amazon, get a free Prime trial... whether you want it or not

Has anyone bought something from Amazon, declined the Prime free trial offer and been signed up regardless? It's happened to me twice now. Each time I've had to email them to cancel it. Bunch of scamming...
Old 10 September 2020, 00:42   #2
jmmijo

Yeah I can see that as you DECLINED it.

It should NOT be an automatic function of purchasing from Amazon.

I'm a Prime member and use it mostly for shipping but sometimes I view some videos and such from time to time, even have it signed in on my Comcast DVR as well.

But yeah, it really should not be forced on you if you DECLINED.
Old 10 September 2020, 01:04   #3
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I have a permanent coupon which allows me about 5 euros of discount on deliveries, so no need for Premium for me (a few interesting grocery products can only be ordered from Prime users but I can live with that). I have noticed that before concluding an order, they insert Prime offer ad so that folks in a hurry can subscribe by mistake (placement of buttons). Lately, they sent me a broken umbrella from China, fortunately I had asked for a refund before the plastic tchotchke arrived at my place.
Old 10 September 2020, 04:57   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Used Prime for deliveries, movies, music, free PDF books...

IMHO it is well worth it, if you order stuff often, as I do. Best part is that you can use Amazon to match prices at BestBuy and some other local business.

BTW, Prime Video is only place you can watch The Expanse. That by itself should be enough to get it.
Old 10 September 2020, 10:42   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't get why these plonkers need to be so aggressive. Google is no different, when you use the Youtube app about 10 times a week the app prompts me "Hey, do you want to try premium for free? Youtube music?" - in different ways too. Its not always the same popup, the blighters have different ways of popping the question to catch you off-guard.

But at least when you say no it slinks away for a few days, so I guess Google is "better" than Amazon...
Old 10 September 2020, 12:44   #6
SquawkBox

Amazon Prime ad displays only once, it's not animated nor noisy, just click skip and you're done. YT ads are much more annoying since they tend to break your concentration, personally, I bring down audio volume to spare my ears, then you're supposed to wait for a few seconds having no other choice than to watch the animated stupid ad, then the skipping button appears. Usually, when I order from Amazon, I spend beforehand a few hours carefully choosing my stuff, so I don't mind the interstitial ad for Prime.
For the record, I am not implying the OP clicked the "subscribe" button by mistake, it may or may not have happened that way.
I thought I could have those ads removed by activating the https option in AdGuard. That resulted in all of my WhatsApp messages being deleted since WhatsApp relies on https protocol.
Old 10 September 2020, 13:06   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I never seen YT ads, nor other ads. What are you talking about??

For all details how to get rid of all ads, contact Shooney.
Old 10 September 2020, 14:20   #8
SquawkBox

YouTube app, when using it on Android phone. Such ads don't show up in browser.
Old 10 September 2020, 20:57   #9
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Prime seems like a good deal for anyone who regularly orders from Amazon, but it would be overkill for me personally since I hardly ever do.

I wish I'd screen-captured the opt in/out buttons now to prove to myself I'm not going mad. I did pay extra careful attention though given the last experience. It's like when you go to the till at WH Smith and they ask you if you're interested in buying random junk food just in case you're feebleminded and need help with the most basic decisions... and then they slip it into your bag regardless of the answer when you're not looking.

What bugs me about the YouTube app on Android is that you can't get rid of the damn thing without rooting your phone. Every so often opening links to YouTube will revert back to using the app rather than your chosen browser. Then you go through a phase where ticking 'remember my choice' results in instant Alzeimer's. Infuriating!

The Brave browser does a brilliant job of blocking YouTube ads on desktop and mobile platforms.
Old 10 September 2020, 23:02   #10
clebin

Just don't use the slave-driving, tax-dodging fuckers. I still buy the odd thing from them but I'm finding them easy enough to avoid.

Their prices are not always that great, there's a shedload of tat to wade through, the reviews can't be trusted, places like John Lewis have longer warranties and easier returns, and Argos can often get stuff to you quicker.
Old 11 September 2020, 00:27   #11
SquawkBox

Such freedom of tone always is appreciated, Sir. Personally, there's just too many items and typical food of the South-West region I could not find anywhere else, at least in qualitative terms. I avoid using express delivery, not only because standard delivery is cheaper, but to allow usually exploited workers some more time to prepare and expedite the parcels. A few reviews are useful, but yeah, since a couple of years, you can only vote "useful" for a specific comment.
e.q. here's a made in UK tablecloth I ordered in 2015, still holds up pretty fine :

Last edited by SquawkBox; 11 September 2020 at 00:48.
Old 11 September 2020, 20:33   #12
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

I can't help thinking of Ken Loach's thinly veiled attack on Amazon known as 'Sorry We Missed You'.

Why Bath-based Ken Loach wants you to stop buying from Amazon

If you're not familiar with the thought-provoking social commentary movie, you might like to watch it on Amazon.

On the price issue, I've noticed the same thing recently. I got a DAB radio from Sainsburys the other day because it was the same price as everywhere else and I happened to be in Sainsburys at the time.
Old 12 September 2020, 21:08   #13
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I can't help thinking of Ken Loach's thinly veiled attack on Amazon known as 'Sorry We Missed You'.

Why Bath-based Ken Loach wants you to stop buying from Amazon

If you're not familiar with the thought-provoking social commentary movie, you might like to watch it on Amazon.

On the price issue, I've noticed the same thing recently. I got a DAB radio from Sainsburys the other day because it was the same price as everywhere else and I happened to be in Sainsburys at the time.
I tried to read the review but the webpage was cluttered with in your face Ads and I had to click away. Perhaps I’ll revisit it with Brave. I hate how the web has evolved into Ads everywhere.
Old 12 September 2020, 22:42   #14
SquawkBox

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/sorrywemissedyousg
I cannot have access to the video from my place, maybe you will.
Old 15 September 2020, 20:32   #15
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

That works for me in the UK without any IP trickery. It's a decent film if you're into gritty British drama that centres around every day real life for the working classes. That's Loach's angle after all.

Totally agree, Pyromania. The web is more of a cesspit of pop-ups, automatically playing videos, useless question prompts and cookie nags than it ever has been before. You need to have windscreen wipers installed just to actually get on with doing what you went to the web sites to do in the first place.

And this after installing an adblocker and the 'I don't care about cookies' browser extension.