English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 February 2003, 22:49   #1
Peter Leyland

SCSI CD ROM & Squirrel interface

I have just been given a cd rom and squirrel interface. I know they work because they were operational when I was given them.
I have connected them to my A1200 and run the quirrel software floppy. It installs everything it needs to but doesn't appear to be recognising that the CD Rom is there. When I run the SCSI Mounter it just says <no device present>

Please look/click in link below:

http://www.sthelensphotographs.co.uk/DSCF0004.JPG

Can anyone please help, my mind aint fresh and crisp like it used to be, my brain cells are dying off quick.

Pete
St Helens
England

Old 07 February 2003, 23:54   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
a few things to try...

make sure the squirrel is in properly (some need a lot of force to locate properly)

make sure you turn on the cdrom berfore the miggy

check the dosdriver has the correct device and unit set (look in the icon tooltypes as well as they override the script)

you could try removing your fast ram, some ram boards / accelarators arn't compatible (but I think that was only if 8 mb was installed)

make sure you have no other 'drivers' for any pcmcia cards you might have had still lurking on the system...
Old 08 February 2003, 13:51   #3
Peter Leyland

Thanx for the info, It turned out to be a disaster, one of the pins was bent on the motherboard and it broke when I tried to straighten it. I need a A1200 MB.......Anyone know of a good cheap deal?....Pete

Old 08 February 2003, 15:31   #4
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Have you terminated the last scsi device in the chain? If you dont nothing connected to the scsi interface will show up. You can either terminate the cdrom (this one being external) with a terminator on the back of the enclosure or by using the terminator jumper on the back of the cdrom itself (next to where you pick the scsi ID)

As far as the motherboard find out if the pin that broke is even used.. dont think they all are.
Old 08 February 2003, 16:09   #5
Peter Leyland

Thanx.....The pin thats snapped is the exteme left bottom as you peek down the slot....

Old 08 February 2003, 23:45   #6
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Leyland
Thanx.....The pin thats snapped is the exteme left bottom as you peek down the slot....
iirc, that is pin 34 or 35 both of which are ground as is pin 1, so both the left edge pins are ground.

If you can get at it, remove the rest if the pin (bummer of a job) get another straight pin, push it through the connector and solder it to pin 1.

Probably alot easier to get a new motherboard though
Old 09 February 2003, 00:53   #7
Peter Leyland

I think its going to be easier to do away with the cdrom and squirrel and just network my pc with the amiga. To be honest I don't know why the hell I even decided to dig all my old amiga stuff up and blow the dust off it. I suppose its because they bring back some good old nostalgia, the good old miggy kept me out of the pub many a night....I remember 'Gods' and I was hooked on it but the infinite lives 'Never' worked on it, I would love to be able to finish that game with a cheat, and many more of course.
I will have to find the best and easiest method of networking.

I have got that QNX 6.1.0 OS for the Amiga (Amithlon) I've been having a mess about with that, I find it a very attractive desktop and icons, I just aint got round to sussing it all out yet.
If anyone wants a copy they are very welcome if they care to travel up near St. Helens for it. Yours for free.

http://www.sthelensphotographs.co.uk/DSCF0001.JPG

Pete