English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 March 2018, 16:50   #1
IvanEBC

Shapeshifter <-> Amiga = damaged files

Hiya.

Finally got Shapeshifter up and running on real hardware (A4000). There's no real technical issues running it.

I used a pre fab "Games" drive but found it (cammies on EAB FTP) but was missing a few classics i wanted to play, i couldn't see a non destructive way to increase the HDD size so i did the following:

"Copied" the contents from within Shapeshifter to the Amiga using the DOSdriver supplied.

Created a new Mac partition to the larger size i wanted.

Copied a few games from the Amiga back into Shapeshifters new drive i created.

The folders appear in SS but the programs don't run, not even basic readme type text files (Always Error -39). I noticed alot of filenames seem replaced with a box and wonder if this is what is destroying the files and if there is a way to do this process without damaging the files. Of course other suggestions i'm open too as well.

SS 3.11
MacOS 7.6.1
Old Size 200mb - new size 850mb (despite me pretty sure saying 500mb) - but 800 is fine

Thank you.
Old 15 March 2018, 18:28   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

Oh noes. You can't copy mac files this way !

Mac files are split in two : resource fork and data fork. And with the supplied driver only one can be accessed at a time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork
Old 15 March 2018, 19:18   #3
trixster
Guru Meditating

With SS running I'm pretty sure you can flip back to workbench and mount the mac hardfile, and it's just a matter of then copying your mac archives (sit files iirc) onto the mac partition. flip back to SS, uncompress et voila.

At least that's how i remember copying stuff onto my various mac hardfiles. there's instructions in the SS docs i think.
Old 15 March 2018, 22:10   #4
zipper

Yes, using the MAC-handler. >> - File handler to access Macintosh volumes from the Workbench <<
Old 15 March 2018, 22:30   #5
fgh

Also, if you use a real partition (not a hardfile) , it should be within the first 4gb of the drive, as shapeshifter doesn't use the >4gb system patches.
Old 15 March 2018, 23:26   #6
grelbfarlk

What I would do is make a new hardfile of 2GB. Copy the boot hardfile to the new 2GB hardfile in MacOS. Then copy the games hardfile to it again in MacOS. Create another hardfile for your secondary hardfile, also 2GB.
Alternately you can then move your games from the new 2GB boot hardfile to the secondary 2GB hardfile. Or whatever you want to do.

Copying mac partitions is pretty easy you just drag the contents from one to the other. Or you can just move the system folder over, change your startup disk in the control panel as needed.

To install new stuff, mount the hardfile via mac-handler and copy your .sit files over and extract with Stuffit Expander in MacOS. The other option if it is an ISO is to mount it on the Amiga side and add the virtual CD as the CD-ROM in Shapeshifter preferences. Or you can copy the ISO over via the mac-handler and mount it on the Mac side with Virtual CD. The first option if it works involves less copying but doesn't always work.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 16 March 2018 at 04:06.
Old 16 March 2018, 08:17   #7
IvanEBC

Trickster - Zipper

That's actually how i'm doing this and the files return damaged....likely something to do with what meynaf said.... Also I'm using hardfile.
Old 16 March 2018, 08:22   #8
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
What I would do is make a new hardfile of 2GB. Copy the boot hardfile to the new 2GB hardfile in MacOS. Then copy the games hardfile to it again in MacOS. Create another hardfile for your secondary hardfile, also 2GB.
Alternately you can then move your games from the new 2GB boot hardfile to the secondary 2GB hardfile. Or whatever you want to do.

Copying mac partitions is pretty easy you just drag the contents from one to the other. Or you can just move the system folder over, change your startup disk in the control panel as needed.
This might be the go - if i got this right... basically, with only the system disk installed - create a second large partition, when inside SS - simply drag all the files from the old system to the new large drive...

exit SS - and switch the disks to the new one, and it should boot.... then mount the second OLD games drive and copy them to the new large drive too (having a single hard file is preferable now i think about it.), and moving them into a folder called games will be okay?
Old 16 March 2018, 09:51   #9
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Use HFV explorer under Windows.
Old 16 March 2018, 15:36   #10
IvanEBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Use HFV explorer under Windows.
for what?
Old 16 March 2018, 16:15   #11
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
This might be the go - if i got this right... basically, with only the system disk installed - create a second large partition, when inside SS - simply drag all the files from the old system to the new large drive...

exit SS - and switch the disks to the new one, and it should boot.... then mount the second OLD games drive and copy them to the new large drive too (having a single hard file is preferable now i think about it.), and moving them into a folder called games will be okay?
Correct.
Old 16 March 2018, 16:35   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanEBC View Post
for what?
To copy files to and from the HFV Hardfile