English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 03 August 2015, 12:50   #1
Daedalus

Blitz Basic / AmiBlitz on AmigaCoding.com

Hi all,
Just to let you know that I've started adding content to the Blitz Basic / AmiBlitz section of AmigaCoding.com in the hope that it might help some people looking for some basic information and guides to programming in Blitz. It was initially just a couple of links and a few lines of information, but I think it's fleshing out nicely now...

I'll be working on it on and off in my spare time, but for now, you can check it out at http://www.amigacoding.com/index.php...Basic/Amiblitz. Plan is to add sections for GUI programming, detailed descriptions and examples on how to use the Amiblitz includes, ARexx, MUI, native OS calls and so on.

Feel free to add information too if you're a Blitz programmer!
Old 03 August 2015, 15:21   #2
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Hi all,
Just to let you know that I've started adding content to the Blitz Basic / AmiBlitz section of AmigaCoding.com in the hope that it might help some people looking for some basic information and guides to programming in Blitz. It was initially just a couple of links and a few lines of information, but I think it's fleshing out nicely now...

I'll be working on it on and off in my spare time, but for now, you can check it out at http://www.amigacoding.com/index.php...Basic/Amiblitz. Plan is to add sections for GUI programming, detailed descriptions and examples on how to use the Amiblitz includes, ARexx, MUI, native OS calls and so on.

Feel free to add information too if you're a Blitz programmer!
Thanks for your hard work Daedalus, this is a very useful resource - well written and nicely structured. There's precious little information on Blitz out there beyond the PDF manual, and that's not exactly the greatest manual ever written. Looking forward to seeing the updates.

Chris
Old 03 August 2015, 23:07   #3
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Deadalus, great to see I'm not the only one adding to www.AmigaCoding.com (though I'm on the dark side... AMOS!)
Old 04 August 2015, 09:56   #4
Daedalus

Cheers guys!

@Lonewolf10
I'm sure we can get along just fine
Old 11 December 2015, 04:07   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

That's really fine.. I just took a look and already saw some stuff explained a lot better than in Blitz Basic manual.

Thank you for this work!
Old 11 December 2015, 12:02   #6
Daedalus

You're very welcome! And if you have suggestions for anything else to add, feel free to let us know.
Old 15 November 2020, 16:15   #7
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Hello Daedalus,

I was looking in Blitz Basic examples from Amiga Coding (very useful site) for the ReadMem function and saw that the given example have round brackets: ReadMem(file_number,memory_address,number_of_bytes)
but in BlitzBasic 2 Manual and in AmiBlitz Help the same function have no brackets at all: ReadMem File#, Address, Length

I googled for Blitz Basic ReadMem and could see some older examples with round brackets.

I have tried with round brackets and it gives me errors in AmiBlitz V3.7.4. I could only use the ReadMem function without brackets.

It is a typo in Amiga Coding or in older versions of Blitz Basic ReadMem was using round brackets??

Also, there are no examples for WriteMem in Amiga Coding?

Last edited by AlfaRomeo; 15 November 2020 at 16:22.
Old 15 November 2020, 22:01   #8
Daedalus

Ah yes, good catch, thanks Brackets are usually only used with functions (commands that return a value), but ReadMem and WriteMem are commands in this case, and so don't use the brackets. I'll fix the entries on AmigaCoding.com shortly

WriteMem works in exactly the same way as ReadMem - the same parameters are used, just the data direction differs (RAM -> file instead of file -> RAM).
Old 08 January 2021, 15:56   #9
Amiga1992

Thank you for all this work man, I have just started (finally!) to get my mitts into Blitz 2, and this has been an amazing resource in the past days.

The wiki format can be confusing at times (wish there were ways to go back up levels) but I have managed to find everything I needed so far.