English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2014, 12:00   #141
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well seems I've missed out on this big news!

Awesome stuff! Have to give it a go!

Massive thanks to everyone involved.
Old 04 February 2014, 13:55   #142
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
@killergorilla
Hey what's up dude?
Any status update on KGLoad?
Old 12 February 2014, 18:40   #143
zzap64

I've just had quite a bit of trouble getting the WHDLoad install file to work on my setup (WB3.0 A1200) so I'm just going to document what I had to do here. The game does now work but I couldn't be positive it's 100%

I downloaded the ADF files from System 3's website and the WHDLoad installer. When running through the installer, the first problem was the version of my installer program (I did later upgrade it to version 44.10 on the KGWHDLoad page but that didn't change anything that I noticed).

The next was the installer complaining I didn't have WHDLoad installed and/or available on path, but I did and I also added the path to user-startup and checked in the shell with "which WHDload", so I had to delete the lines checking for it in the installer!! (lines around 353 I think)

Then after doing some file copying, it said it couldn't get rawDIC up (around lines 141 I think). I added TrackWarp to the libs folder in Sys: just in case that was the problem, but that didn't help.

So instead I opened a shell and did "rawdic SLAVE=PuttySquad.islave" and selected the two ADFs and they were converted. I then found the data files etc. in the directory I was in and copied them to "PuttySquad/data".

I tried running "PuttySquad/PuttySquad" and the game come up and worked!

I wonder are the problems down to my current Workbench state or what? It's my original one from 1993-1996 and have only just copied it over to a CF HD. Hopefully I won't have to run another WHDLoad installer for a while!

On a side note. It was the announcement of the Putty Squad game on the Amiga that got me to set it up again and get a CF card working in the PCMCIA slot and then go onto WHDLoad and getting a CF HDD. I was pleasantly surprised that the KS3.0 / WB3.0 install didn't freak out altogether at having a 4GB hardidsk! ;-)

Old 16 February 2014, 01:30   #144
Steve T

Long overdue thanks to System3 and Galahad, this release totally scuppered my plans to make an amiga 'christmas card' for my better half late on christmas eve, but oh well.

Some of her family visited today and her 11 year old nephew spent about an hour on the amiga (he'd probably never even seen one of the machines before) and loved every minute of it. Within a couple of goes on Putty Squad he'd managed all the putty moves I'd discovered and then some more - inflating into a balloon and using nitro to blow up the frogs on level 1. He left thinking Amiga is totally cool, and I wondered what the hell has gone wrong with me that I hadn't discovered all the moves yet, and had to have a child teach me how to play a computer game.
Old 16 February 2014, 07:29   #145
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 View Post
I wonder are the problems down to my current Workbench state or what?
I would bet on that.
Old 17 February 2014, 04:27   #146
Djay
95th User

Galahad...

I know I have said thank you for your previous works, but this time you really have outdone yourself...

you sir, are Legend.

'When dreams come true'

I've used the WHDLoad installer to create the WHDLoad version, all working beautifully!!! What a great game!

Well done to the 'secret team' for your efforts in getting the community a long lost classic released...

...I have liked System 3 on FB and sent them a PM too! (gonna buy the x360 version)

I would put a smiley in this post, but none of them define the epicness of this project!

So what's next?

Last edited by Djay; 17 February 2014 at 05:25.
Old 17 February 2014, 15:19   #147
zzap64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I would bet on that.
Something probably got messed up back in 1995 when my 80MB HD was copied to a 160MB one. I get some errors when booting up my old BBS as well.

Or it could have been when I tried to install a TCP/IP stack on the machine circa 03 / 94. I remember changing loads of setting with that trying to get it working and getting no where...

Anyway, all my preinstalled WHDLoad stuff works so I'm happy enough. Too late in the day to try and fix my Workbench install for not much benefit.

Old 19 February 2014, 21:22   #148
jezry

great game thanks to you and all others involved.
Old 04 April 2014, 00:58   #149
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
@killergorilla
Hey what's up dude?
Any status update on KGLoad?
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to do anything on that for a while. Too much other stuff going on!
Old 10 April 2014, 00:16   #150
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Just to let everyone know, Embargo on this game is now lifted.

Thanks to everyone that with only a little grumbling allowed it to only be hosted by System 3, i'll speak to John this week about how many downloads the game got.

Feel free to host wherever
Old 10 April 2014, 12:30   #151
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Really excellent stuff

I have added the zip file to http://oagd.net/amiga/putty-squad and enabled automatic download (download on demand) for the game.

So all users of FS-UAE Launcher w/ online game database should see the game appear automatically in the game list
Old 12 February 2015, 13:09   #152
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Cool

Wow. Just been visiting for the first time in a longtime & came across this. Haven't gone looking for it yet,but well remember the numerous threads talking about this one through the years. Though shocked to see its release after all these years,not that shocked at the names credited,given the great help you always gave in my visits here yonks ago.
As you said Galahad,a big thumbs up & credit where its due to System 3 for allowing this!
And an even bigger thank you to Galahad,& the rest of the oldtimer's for pulling this off!
Old 01 October 2015, 13:20   #153
LuMan
Amigan - an' lovin' it!!

Apologies for the bump, but I finally got this working!!!

Using the latest FS-UAE (complete with Blizzard ppc settings) I created a copy of my A1200T, using the A1200T's self-same WB39 drive. The game ran straight away, with no tinkering.

However, running it on my original 1200T, the game would hang just as Level 1 starts. A quick squiz through this thread and the 'NOCACHE' Tool Type option did the trick.

Oddly, the Tool Types for the game had 2 entries for preload ('Preload' and 'PRELOAD'). Commenting out either (or both) of these didn't seem to affect gameplay, although the System 3 loading screen flashed a bit with 'Preload' commented out.

Anyhoo - It's working and I'm chuffed, and I'm playing it while I should be working!
Old 03 January 2016, 16:14   #154
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Can't believe that this finally got released! Kudos to Galahad.
Old 12 December 2017, 07:44   #155
wairnair

Great game, awesome release. This is my Christmas present for 2017, thank you.
Old 12 December 2017, 17:27   #156
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
Um....Merry Christmas!
Old 12 December 2017, 17:44   #157
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Um....Merry Christmas!
...hopefully you give us another game this Xmas Sir Galahad?
Old 12 December 2017, 17:47   #158
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
Better late than never