English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 March 2022, 11:07   #381
axilmar

Apparently, Amigas don't have hardware scaling because the Commodore responsible people 'didn't think it was needed'.

http://www.verycomputer.com/2_d6b214ab9ee62b5f_1.htm

Who is this Michael van Elst guy that thinks Amigas didn't need scaling???

Let get in my time machine and explain a couple of words to him (ahem Outrun ahem :-))...
Old 05 March 2022, 15:02   #382
kjmann14

hello. I've been working on new mod versions of the OutRun soundtrack and was told by someone that it might be useful to someone here. I'm a musician and have been using my original Amiga 500 since 1990.
is there any interest in this here?
Splash Wave....
[ Show youtube player ]

WIP - Magical Sound Shower....
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by kjmann14; 07 March 2022 at 11:56.
Old 05 March 2022, 18:29   #383
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by axilmar View Post
Apparently, Amigas don't have hardware scaling because the Commodore responsible people 'didn't think it was needed'.

http://www.verycomputer.com/2_d6b214ab9ee62b5f_1.htm

Who is this Michael van Elst guy that thinks Amigas didn't need scaling???

Let get in my time machine and explain a couple of words to him (ahem Outrun ahem :-))...
Well, probably not a gamer-guy, but you might recognize him as (among other things) author of mpeg decoder for ECS/AGA/ and some graphics cards.:
http://aminet.net/package/gfx/show/m...gfx/show/mp103
Old 07 March 2022, 10:20   #384
buggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmann14 View Post
hello. I've been working on new mod versions of the OutRun soundtrack and was told by someone that it might be useful to someone here. I'm a musician and have been using my original Amiga 500 since 1990.
is there any interest in this here?
Certainly. I've been tinkering with the Cannonball code base a while ago and one of the approaches to get a somewhat playable performance on 68060 was the replacement of the music by a mod player. Sadly, I didn't have a full complement of tunes to be included.
Hence, I'd be very pleased to get some tunes for the game. I keep my Cannonball port at https://github.com/HenrykRichter/Cannonball-C
Old 07 March 2022, 11:50   #385
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Certainly. I've been tinkering with the Cannonball code base a while ago and one of the approaches to get a somewhat playable performance on 68060 was the replacement of the music by a mod player. Sadly, I didn't have a full complement of tunes to be included.
Hence, I'd be very pleased to get some tunes for the game. I keep my Cannonball port at https://github.com/HenrykRichter/Cannonball-C
Not sure if you saw the report, but it seems only first two .mod files are played in the game (2nd is played instead of the 3rd) ... You can check in the F5 test sound menu...
Old 07 March 2022, 11:55   #386
kjmann14

Quote:
bummer for me it won't run on a 68020
=)

Quote:
ok. shall I upload the MODs here or do you have an email address that I can send them to (pm it to me, if you like)?

I'm starting on passing breeze today,since I'm done with Magical Sound Shower and Splash Wave.
Old 07 March 2022, 19:02   #387
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
bummer for me it won't run on a 68020
=)

ok. shall I upload the MODs here or do you have an email address that I can send them to (pm it to me, if you like)?

I'm starting on passing breeze today,since I'm done with Magical Sound Shower and Splash Wave.
There is a port ongoing especially for base 1200 AGA, however the soundtrack there is taken care by DJ_METUNE already

Then there is the Atari STE improved version by FedePede04 that could be ported on OCS/ECS and i see as the most viable candidate in the short term but until that happens is all unknown
Old 09 March 2022, 03:30   #388
kjmann14

Here are the 2 MODs I have finished from OutRun. I'm currently in the middle of doing Passing Breeze. Any of the OutRun Projects are welcome to use them as long as I get some Screen credit. lol =P

- Sal "Kjmann" Esquivel
Attached Files
File Type: 7z OutRun-MODs-1.7z (83.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 09 March 2022, 17:16   #389
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Here are the 2 MODs I have finished from OutRun. I'm currently in the middle of doing Passing Breeze. Any of the OutRun Projects are welcome to use them as long as I get some Screen credit. lol =P
- Sal "Kjmann" Esquivel
Please take a number and wait in line to be served
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 March 2022, 11:03   #390
kjmann14

here's the version that I sent to the cannonball project.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 March 2022, 13:12   #391
eXeler0

Just realized (30 years late or so) that I never played Out Run Europa on Amiga. (Just the c64 version back in the day for some reason). Stumbled over Amiga gameplay of it on youtube and it seems much better than the original engine used for Out Run.
How does the "Outrun Europa" engine compare to Lotus and other good racing games on a vanilla A500?
Old 20 March 2022, 14:09   #392
rothers

There is a lot of weird stuff going on in the Outrun Europa engine. It appears to support more features than Lotus, but the game itself is iffy.

That said it looks like it's perfectly capable of being a great engine to run the original outrun. It even has the outrun car in it, the road splits, everything.

If you look here: [ Show youtube player ]

They have a clever way of handling those stone henge things the original had. Similar to how outrun 3D does it on the SMS.
Old 20 March 2022, 17:21   #393
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

It indeed moves a great deal of stuff! Since i only seen it once in a real machine i forgot whether runs at 25 or 17 FPS but is still good - if keep the engine at 17 fps makes you move a bunch more why not? Even the arcade original was running at 30 instead of 60 due to all the objects on screen

(btw eXeler0, i told this same thing, like, twenty pages ago?)
[EDIT] actually was in the Outrun with Lotus Engine thread not here ^^

According to FedePede04 [PeterJ here on EAB] when i asked it MIGHT be the same engine of Outrun and Enduro raced later on improved and optimized to the most, since Probe seemed to reuse a lot of material, and considered the performance of the original engine once optimized by the same FedePede04 on STE i tend to believe so

Last edited by saimon69; 20 March 2022 at 18:10. Reason: punctualization
Old 20 March 2022, 18:17   #394
buggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Not sure if you saw the report, but it seems only first two .mod files are played in the game (2nd is played instead of the 3rd) ... You can check in the F5 test sound menu...

Thanks to KJMann, the Cannonball port I'm maintaining now has a full complement of music scores. I've also fixed some issues with the music selection screen and in the PT player itself. Version 1.4 is up on my github page https://github.com/HenrykRichter/Cannonball-C. Please don't forget to copy the contents of the "data" subdirectory in addition to the Cannonball executable when upgrading earlier installs.
Old 20 March 2022, 19:29   #395
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
Thanks to KJMann, the Cannonball port I'm maintaining now has a full complement of music scores. I've also fixed some issues with the music selection screen and in the PT player itself. Version 1.4 is up on my github page https://github.com/HenrykRichter/Cannonball-C. Please don't forget to copy the contents of the "data" subdirectory in addition to the Cannonball executable when upgrading earlier installs.
Thank you for the new version. The modules now load in the SOUND TEST menu without any problems, but they don't load when you start the game and you select them in the car radio selector before the game starts at all for some reason.
Old 21 March 2022, 10:41   #396
buggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Thank you for the new version. The modules now load in the SOUND TEST menu without any problems, but they don't load when you start the game and you select them in the car radio selector before the game starts at all for some reason.
You might need to hold the steering wheel a little longer left/right in the car radio selector screen. The game engine has got an in-built delay for tune switching (which I didn't reduce).
Old 21 March 2022, 10:49   #397
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:
You might need to hold the steering wheel a little longer left/right in the car radio selector screen. The game engine has got an in-built delay for tune switching (which I didn't reduce).
Yes, I noticed that before (it was around 2 seconds delay), but in this version one can hold the left/right for a minute and the tune is not heard, so definetly a bug somewhere

If you do F5 menu and sound test the tunes are heard normally.
Old 06 April 2022, 19:16   #398
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I remember mcGeezer got a copy of the outrun source by fedepede04, wonder if he ever analyzed it for portability
Old 07 April 2022, 12:43   #399
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I "fixed" the issue with No sound selection inside the game (before starting) while it worked in sound test. It is a configuration option in the .config file:

# audio
SNDPREVIEW = 1

For some reason it was set to 0 in my config. Now everything works fine.
Old 14 April 2022, 17:56   #400
mrupp

Quote:
I really like the conversions by KJMann, but to be honest, I like the versions done by TuRRIcaNEd aka Mr. Rhythm Master/AIS better. You can check them out here:

http://psychodelicacy.net/modplayer.php
(once there, click "load song")
He posted that link in post #181 (https://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p...&postcount=181) in this very thread.

Maybe you could PM him and ask if it would be OK to include them with Cannonball?

Last edited by mrupp; 14 April 2022 at 18:04.