English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 April 2011, 13:21   #1
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Assange is an Amigan

When Julian Assange still went by the name of Mendax and hacked Nortel, he did so with his A500.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~suelette/underground/justin/chapter_9.html

Last edited by gilgamesh; 01 April 2011 at 20:10. Reason: Julian, not Julien
Old 01 April 2011, 13:33   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Famous at last!
Old 01 April 2011, 19:53   #3
TjLaZer

I knew it! He looks like an Amiga freak.
Old 01 April 2011, 21:37   #4
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Earlier in chapter 9 it says he uses an Amiga but then later he is not allowed to keep his now ancient "Apple" computer? Typo or did he have both? Typo methinks. After all, there are only PC and Apple computers right?

And I didn't read it yet (if it is detailed in the book), but what computer did the australian hackers use to hack NASA? Was it a C64 or was it an A1000?

Last edited by Calgor; 01 April 2011 at 21:40. Reason: Added question
Old 01 April 2011, 22:16   #5
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Prime Suspect is the one who got his Apple taken away. The NASA hacker was Electron iirc which was a bit before these guys. I have the documentary about Electron I thought I gave you a copy.
Old 01 April 2011, 23:34   #6
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Ah Electron (listed in wikipedia as suspected to be responsible for the wank worm) had an amiga at least by jan 90 (according to underground book) and the wank worm was in oct 16 1989 (according to theage.com.au). So chances are it probably was an amiga (if it was Electron, of which there is no proof)

You gave me so many docos... I would like to see that one but I don't think you gave it to me???

And I thought there were no amiga users in outer suburbs in those days but there was assange hacking away on his amiga just a few suburbs away! I had a modem in those days too..... a high speed for the times 2400 baud.... but I had not even the slightest inkling about any of this stuff.

Love how they called it a "pokey" $700 computer .... with its multitasking in late 80s a hell of a lot more convenient than a $2000 dos-based PC for doing such things I should think.

Last edited by Calgor; 02 April 2011 at 10:19. Reason: correction to grammar
Old 02 April 2011, 03:12   #7
b0lt-thrower

...among other things...
Old 02 April 2011, 03:24   #8
Leffmann

A man of many talents [ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 April 2011, 04:20   #9
Mr B

Giglamesh, i don't know if i hate you or not. Thanks to you and that great reading i finally figured out a (unrelated) issue i had. Going onwards with something else when your stuck can really trigger you sometimes. And i've been bashing this problem for like 2 days. So you should have thanks for both providing the good read, and helping with a distraction. But on the other hand its well past 4 in the morning, and i'm very tired. It's your fault that i'm not in bed ;- )

Great reading, good find.
Cheers!
B!
Old 13 April 2011, 03:26   #10
magnetic
Banned

Did you guys know that Assange got voted Time magazine man of the year and they chickened out and put that fckink crook loser from facebook instead? They will put Putin on the cover and not Assange. Tells u a lot doesnt it?
Old 13 April 2011, 14:22   #11
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
have thanks for both providing the good read, and helping with a distraction.
It was my pleasure. Distraction, bewilderment and disarray are my key competences.
Old 13 April 2011, 14:30   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
Did you guys know that Assange got voted Time magazine man of the year and they chickened out and put that fckink crook loser from facebook instead? They will put Putin on the cover and not Assange. Tells u a lot doesnt it?

To be fair it was probably his dancing that put them off..... =)
Old 08 October 2012, 05:11   #13
Cammy

There's a movie about him now - http://eztv.it/ep/38421/underground-...pdtv-x264-fqm/
Old 08 October 2012, 06:29   #14
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Watch it and play spot the c-64s and amigas with fake BBS screen graphics

I only caught a bit of it on tv last night, plan to watch it properly tonight.
Old 08 October 2012, 11:54   #15
Drucifer

In one of the news reports on Gary McKinnon (UK hacker with special needs, the yanks want him to be locked up for life or executed!), they briefly show his bedroom and aside from the PC and laptop there is a Amiga 1200, connected to a tv so is this what he used to break into NASA and the pentagon?? are their defences only there to stop Windoze and Mac attacks?
Old 08 October 2012, 22:07   #16
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I downloaded that Assange Channel 10 documentary movie you speak about and I'll take a look at it real soon. Yes there are a lot of C64s and fake BBS screens but it looks ok to watch.

I guess the Amiga is still one of the best computers to hack from as there is no way to hack or damage an Amiga OS via the internet; not like it is possible to hack a PC; as non of the nets trojans and worms were written for it. All the spyware and bots were written with Macs and PCs in mind, so they can't even track you online. They most the amiga will be visible online is the IP address, but without any Windows/JAVA backdoors to push open, the Amiga is probably the safest stealth machine around. Added to that the fact that the file system, OS, and raw machine code is different; and yet the machine language is so easy to learn; it becomes possible to write unhackable and undetectable software for montoring web traffic without someone trying to hack you in return.

At least that was the theory, especially in the early days of BBS systems. These days they use SSL and encryption which is no easy ball-game to crack, but in those days everything was plain ASCII and BBS systems simply required email filtering to find out the backdoor keys.

Those were the days.
Old 08 October 2012, 22:37   #17
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
as there is no way to hack or damage an Amiga OS via the internet; not like it is possible to hack a PC; as non of the nets trojans and worms were written for it. All the spyware and bots were written with Macs and PCs in mind, so they can't even track you online. They most the amiga will be visible online is the IP address, but without any Windows/JAVA backdoors to push open, the Amiga is probably the safest stealth machine around. Added to that the fact that the file system, OS, and raw machine code is different; and yet the machine language is so easy to learn
Security through obscurity is not that much security.
Look! I'm dressed in a clown suit at a meeting of goths. No one will spot me...
Old 09 October 2012, 03:03   #18
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I watched that TV-movie, it was utter crap.

He is supposedly using an Amiga 500 but the supposed screen display is nothing like one, it's monochrome crap like some ancient CP/M box. Whereas when a Crapintosh was in use they actually showed a Mac display, same for when a C64 was in use.
Old 09 October 2012, 09:23   #19
Cammy

I was also pretty disappointed that the A500 wasn't even switched on when it was apparently in use, but apart from that I really enjoyed the movie. The scene where they're watching Koyaanisqatsi in the cinema reminded me of my own first unforgettable experience seeing that film.
Old 09 October 2012, 11:32   #20
strim
NetBSD developer

Assange was also active NetBSD developer around ten years ago