English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 May 2010, 00:43   #1
terexuk
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

what do you do ?

first off , i love the miggy, supported it right to the end of its natural life.But now whats the attraction? picked up a 1200 last year put in extra ram and hard drive but just didnt get that buzz from it, things have moved on so much so what is it that drives you ??
Old 11 May 2010, 04:47   #2
Matt020

I made a similar post early in the year asking what people do with their Amiga's. Mine are stored away in a quiet place and once a month I bring them out, set them up and have a play for an hour or so, then put them away again.

For me, back in the day, I was a teenager in the 90's and I could only afford so much. Certain things, like accelerators, were only a dream to me. Now, in my 30's I am able to re-live those dreams as I work full time and I can finally buy those accelerators and flickerfixers and see how it all really worked.

Further, there are people still developing hardware for the classic Amiga's. One dude has created an RGB to S-Video adapter so the Amiga's can be used on nice 50 inch plasma displays with a crystal clear picture. Another dude has just made a cpu plug in card for the A500 that adds 2mb of memory leaving the trapdoor slot and side slot free for other expansions. There's a load more, it's exciting.

Then, there are the next versions of Amiga OS. Back in the 90's I only got to play with Workbench 3.1. Well there is 3.5, 3.9 and one day when I have a PowerPC chip, I can play with OS4.0.

There's still LOADS to discover from these machines.
Old 11 May 2010, 08:55   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@terexuk
No one forces you to use a Miggy. Don't get me wrong, but you should know why you stick to it (games, apps, demos, music, etc.). If you just bought it because it seemed like there is anything 'hip' about it, maybe that was the wrong decision. I use it for playing games and watching demos mainly. That is WinUAE and my A500 for those 'special' moments
Old 11 May 2010, 09:04   #4
Fabie
Banned

sincerely I use my A1200 a cup one in a month like matt020
I have a 80 mb hd in my A1200 and a 020/28mhz accelerator with 8mb ram......and that's enough for me
and I have lots of floppys,originals and pirated copies
I play always the best games which I know how to play

I play always Turrican 3 because it's easy and the music is amazing
also I play superfrog,PPhammer,one step beyond,Alladin,chaos engine,brian the lion,Fire and ice CD32,pushover,troddlers

I don't experiment very much with new amiga games or new programs because I know that the best gems were made in the past and nobody can superpass the talent of that people
The talented people who created that games are now working for other platforms or working in other projects....
so for me ...only classsic Amiga games.....that's all for me
I hope this answer your question terexuk
Old 11 May 2010, 09:27   #5
Jope
-

Mine are used mainly for archival purposes. Lots and lots of disks become ADFs, then the ADFs go to Break's and Zeg's demo collection.

Oh yeah and I also organize the compos at Finnish Amiga Party and the oldskool/extreme compos at Assembly Summer, so the machines get some use there too.

Of course I fire the A3000 up for the occasional game every now and then..
Old 11 May 2010, 15:07   #6
junkmanuk
1989 = win

I'm teaching my kids about the old computers, not that they're interested; I've come to realise I'm just 'dad who likes old things' .

Max (my 6 yr old) did play Superfrog and wizkid the other day but complained they were too hard. He's quite capable of Lego Batman, LittleBigPlanet etc... though but it seems that the old games were much less forgiving (I'll have to search the forums as there's bound to have been discussions over that in the past!). In the end they loved wizkid with the unlimited lives/stars trainer.

Other than that - I'm really happy now to be able to have a study, and a 4000 which I can network up and use without the cumbersome transfer problems. It's now a permanent fixture. I still fire up OctaMED because it has that great nostaglic vibe to it... other than that I use it for gaming, and hopefully (when I get real time) coding.
Old 11 May 2010, 15:33   #7
Thorham
Computer Nerd

For me it's assembly language programming (although I haven't done much for a while now, no inspiration and motivation, this applies to peecee programming as well ) and old games (they really don't make them like that anymore ).

Although things have certainly advanced, it's always the usual: better graphics and more cpu speed, boring While cool in a way, it's all not very mandatory for me.

Some people use Amigas as their main machine for everything, and until I got my first peecee in 2005, my main machine was an A1200 with Blizzard '030 with 16 mb ram, and back then I used it a lot.
Old 11 May 2010, 15:35   #8
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
General tinkering with my own WB-setup. I don't use any package like Amikit, ClassicWB, AmigaSYS they are just not my cup of tea, i like to set up things myself (no offense to these great preinstalled packs!) and playing games, watching demos etc. Installing another patch that is *supposed* to make thing better .

And i like the Amiga-spirit if you know what i mean...
Old 11 May 2010, 18:21   #9
SubM00nS

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmanuk View Post
I'm teaching my kids about the old computers, not that they're interested; I've come to realise I'm just 'dad who likes old things' .
That describes me as well. I also use my Amigas for music sometimes. I love the sound of the 8-bit Amiga audio because so much indie music loves the lo-fi electronic sounds that are so easily made by the Amiga's audio circuitry. It's also much less expensive than obtaining this or that vintage synth or drum machine from some auction site. I also have a mind to do some retro video titling and of course I love retro gaming.
Old 11 May 2010, 19:10   #10
Djay
95th User

my A1200 and A600 are set up in the corner of my daughter's playroom (or dumping ground for toys and suchlike), my A600 was bought on ebay about 5 years ago and my A1200 is the magic pack from amigakit.com... its new, with a 4gb HD, extra floppy drive, EasyADF transfer kit and a new Samsung 22" LCD

i generally transfer adf to real disks and enjoy playing all my old favourites, plus quite alot of games i never managed to get before (i was a poor teenager first around) i'm going to create some stuff... but thats just at the planning stage right now

i'm currently play more modern stuff like Modern Warfare 2 and TESIV Oblivion on xbox 360 and my daughter has my ps3 in her bedroom

i am also like most fathers here, showing my daughter the wonders of the Amiga (we played Wiz 'n' Liz the other day)
Old 11 May 2010, 20:07   #11
terexuk

first off some great replys and interesting uses out there gave me plenty of food for thought!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@terexuk
No one forces you to use a Miggy. Don't get me wrong, but you should know why you stick to it (games, apps, demos, music, etc.). If you just bought it because it seemed like there is anything 'hip' about it, maybe that was the wrong decision. I use it for playing games and watching demos mainly. That is WinUAE and my A500 for those 'special' moments
never really thought of the amiga as 'hip' and was,nt meaning to have a go at anyone just interested in what others do with it
Old 11 May 2010, 20:08   #12
terexuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
my A1200 and A600 are set up in the corner of my daughter's playroom (or dumping ground for toys and suchlike), my A600 was bought on ebay about 5 years ago and my A1200 is the magic pack from amigakit.com... its new, with a 4gb HD, extra floppy drive, EasyADF transfer kit and a new Samsung 22" LCD

i generally transfer adf to real disks and enjoy playing all my old favourites, plus quite alot of games i never managed to get before (i was a poor teenager first around) i'm going to create some stuff... but thats just at the planning stage right now

i'm currently play more modern stuff like Modern Warfare 2 and TESIV Oblivion on xbox 360 and my daughter has my ps3 in her bedroom

i am also like most fathers here, showing my daughter the wonders of the Amiga (we played Wiz 'n' Liz the other day)
nice setup there , what settings do you use with the samsung for the best image quality ?
Old 11 May 2010, 20:34   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Sorry if I got the 'whats the attraction' and 'didn't get that buzz from it' bits wrong. Just sounded to me like there was some essential problem here Launch the Turrican 2 WHDLoad version and hopefully it tickles something buried deep in you
Old 11 May 2010, 21:15   #14
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terexuk View Post
nice setup there , what settings do you use with the samsung for the best image quality ?
ok.. latest photo with new LCD

Settings:-
Mode : Standard
Backlight : 8
Contrast : 95
Brightness : 45
Sharpness : 0 (having this higher actually makes picture blur?!?!)
Colour : 50

Picture Options:-
Colour Tone : Normal
Size : 4:3
Digital NR : Auto
HDMI Black Level : Normal (n/a)
Film Mode : Off

Advanced Settings:-
Black Tone : Dark
Dynamic Contrast : Medium
Gamma : 0
White Balance
Flesh Tone : 0
Edge Enhancement : Off (on makes edges move?!?!)

Connected using RGB scart

(screen image is 99% stable, this sometimes goes to 100%)

Last edited by Djay; 01 July 2011 at 21:30.
Old 11 May 2010, 21:32   #15
Peter
Still an Amiga user

In an ideal world I would link several Amiga's together via Super Skidmarks and have a big multi lap Wheel Chair race... for money - you just don't get that sort of thing on the Xbox360...
Old 11 May 2010, 22:09   #16
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
In an ideal world I would link several Amiga's together via Super Skidmarks and have a big multi lap Wheel Chair race... for money - you just don't get that sort of thing on the Xbox360...
now that would be worth 800 points
Old 11 May 2010, 22:32   #17
terexuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Sorry if I got the 'whats the attraction' and 'didn't get that buzz from it' bits wrong. Just sounded to me like there was some essential problem here Launch the Turrican 2 WHDLoad version and hopefully it tickles something buried deep in you
yes reading back my original post it does appear to be a bit negative but that is not what i meant. got some good replys which im going to follow up , turrican 2 you say
Old 11 May 2010, 22:34   #18
terexuk

Quote:

White Balance

thanks for that, going to rig the miggy up to mine and give it a shot on that
Old 11 May 2010, 22:35   #19
Djay
95th User

if your using RGB scart then LCDs dont work well with un-doctored scart lead, there are some threads here about it (although i am using a standard lead, it works ok, others have reported no picture at all)

i hope thats a sarcastic wink, if you haven't Turrican 2 you haven't lived
Old 12 May 2010, 01:15   #20
terexuk

Quote:

White Balance

just had another look at your pic, love the 600 nestled at the back, my first miggy