English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 February 2017, 16:06   #1
fgh

CDTV - SCSI trouble

Hi there wizards,

I'm struggling a bit with my newly aquired CDTV, and hope you guys can help me figure it out.

I cannot make it see my SCSI HDD for some reason.
Early boot menu sees the SCSI board (514 / 3) and the RAM expansion (I think it must be the ram, ID 3586 / 0), both 'working'

Setup
  • KS 3.1 (40.72 hyperion)
  • Cloanto extended roms v2.30 (New 'red screen'-fixed version)
  • SCSI kit from amibay, terminators on (I've assembled two of them, both act the same)
  • 8mb fast ram by hikey (diag port, latest version)
  • 1GB SCSI HDD (term on), with one FFS and one PFS2AiO boot partitions, boot pri 5, working fine in A590 (with GURU ROM, 68010 and same KS version) and A3000
  • Simple internal mouse/joy adapter (old aminet Y-type)

Behavior
  • If I leave JP15 connected, I just get the CDTV screen, I cannot enter early boot menu for some reason (In mouse mode - both mouse buttons + movement work in CDTV menu)
  • If I remove JP15, I can see KS3.1 screen and enter early boot menu, but not see any partitions.
  • Edit: HDD spins up, and I have tried warm restarting to rule out it being too slow

Questions
  • The driver for the SCSI controller resides in the extended ROM, right?
  • Will removing JP15 disable the entire ROMs (and therefore SCSI driver), or just parts of it?
  • Should I be able to enter early boot menu with JP15 on?
  • Why the *** did I leave my external floppy drives across the country
  • Edit: I forgot to check sync and reselection flags. Should they matter here?
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDTV.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	52088   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM_SCSI_working.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	52089   Click image for larger version

Name:	No_HDD.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	52090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyperion.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	52091   Click image for larger version

Name:	CDTV_boot.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	52092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDD_in_A590.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	52093  

Last edited by fgh; 14 April 2017 at 09:38. Reason: typo
Old 19 February 2017, 20:21   #2
grelbfarlk

Yes the scsi.device for the CDTV SCSI is in the extended rom, if you disable the extended ROM then no CDTV SCSI (unless you find some other way of loading the scsi.device.)

I don't think you'll see the early boot menu when the CDTV ROM is active, not sure though since my CDTV is not in a state that I can turn on the CDTV ROM.

You're saying if you have the CDTV ROM on, it should be booting off of the SCSI HDD and it is not? Set the HDD boot priority higher than 5 so you're sure it's not just trying to boot of the CDTV CD.

Best thing that helped for me was making a CDTV bootable disc with workbench. Also the CDTV Termination can be a bit wonky, did you try turning off the termination on your HDD?

Just for testing purposes you might want to try removing the 8MB of RAM from the diagnostic slot.
Old 19 February 2017, 21:03   #3
fgh

Thanks. Yes it should boot the HDD and it's not.
I'll try removing the RAM. I'll even try turning off the termination
I read from another post that a HDD with bootpri 4 already was higher than the the cdrom (not allowing cdroms to boot)
Besides, without a cd inserted, it should proceed anyway, (like a floppy drive vs HDD)
Never the less, I'll give it a try as well.
Tried burning some wb booting CDs but it seems it doesn't like ny CDRs (Original games do work)
I've had other people tell me they can reach the early boot screen with JP15 on but I'm not convinced they're not just mixing it up.
When I'm back I'll also check/disable RDB sync and reselection.
Old 20 February 2017, 00:58   #4
grelbfarlk

One trick I've found to making CDRs work better in the CDTV is to burn at the slowest speed possible like 1x, I guess you probably know this since you seem to have your act together. Others say this is just witchcraft and doesn't actually do anything like tying an onion to your belt while you burn the disc, did you try that?

Or buy CD-Rs that are sold as "Music CD-Rs" which aside from having the extra tax on them for the many musical artists still making a living off of CD sales, both of them, they seem to work better as well again burning at the slowest possible speed. It also helps to have your mouth full of cherry pits while burning these and while inserting the burnt disc into the CDTV. Careful you don't swallow though.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 20 February 2017 at 00:59. Reason: Me no talk good. And talk long big.
Old 02 March 2017, 21:46   #5
fgh

Sync and reselection were already off.
Tried removing RAM, setting bootpri to 11, turning termination off.
No change..
Old 03 March 2017, 04:05   #6
grelbfarlk

Ok, well lets look at this problem another way. You can't boot from floppy to run HDToolbox to see if the drive is detected or run other diagnostics, we just know the SCSI controller is detected by autoconfig.

Is there an HDD LED on the drive or is there a jumper that you could hook up to the HDD to see if it is even being detected? You should see a flash on an HDD activity light as it's trying to read the HDD or doing a SCSI bus scan.

Or if you have some other SCSI device plug it in, see if the machine locks due to incorrect termination or anything to see if the SCSI bus is even trying to access it. Or if you can set the SCSI device to unit=7 that should cause a lockup as well.

If there is some way of just doing something as simple as version scsi.device then we'd know a bit more, since even if the CDTV Extended ROM is disabled the device it will still show up in the autoconfig menu even if it doesn't have a valid scsi.device.