English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 December 2002, 19:25   #1
fil

WinUAE 8.17,r3 'Blue Screen' Problem

A game will work fine, but when i run it again a different time i get the windows blue screen of death! Is there a certain good compatible config i can use where i won't get this tempremental prob?

Old 11 December 2002, 19:59   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Is there some sort of reason why you can't use the latest version of WinUAE?

Latest version is 0.8.22r3
Old 11 December 2002, 20:14   #3
fil

of course

... the sound is terrible

If you can help me find a version of winuae that isn't full of bugs, i'll be a happy man.

Old 11 December 2002, 20:19   #4
Drake1009

Most newer versions of WinUAE aren't that full of bugs. The reason the sound might be so bad in your version could be because of your system specs. I stuck with 8.8r8 or winfellow when I was on my 533 Mhz because sound was horribly laggy on newer versions.

I'm currently using 8.21r1 and 8.21r4 which are doing the job for me quite nicely. But apparently some hardware have problems cooperating while running WinUAE.

Turns out it was my motherboard having problems handling my GeForce and SB Live. A friend of mine had same problems with same setup, but he also had a TNT2 he plugged into it which seemed to take away the problems.
Old 11 December 2002, 20:26   #5
fil

WinUAE 088r8

Yep WinUAE 088r8 is a very good version, bar 2 problems, it's written to use old versions of Direct-X, hence 'tearing' display, although not 'that' bad, and the main problem is loading in adz or dms files while in fullscreen mode, buttons freeze (you can read my other post in winue prb for a more detailed description of this problem) If you can help me with this i'd appreciate it.

I will check out those other versions you use though, thanks for the advice.

Old 11 December 2002, 20:45   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Re: of course

Quote:
Originally posted by fil
... the sound is terrible

If you can help me find a version of winuae that isn't full of bugs, i'll be a happy man.
Alter the sound buffer settings.

And I can guarantee that the version your using of WinUAE has far more bugs than the latest version has.

If your PC is low spec (and/or Old) use WinUAE 0.8.8r9 available from the abime.net homepage under lost releases.
Old 11 December 2002, 22:31   #7
fil

WinUAE 88r9, does not work on my system. It has an unusual problem not common to other releases of WinUAE where the sound is totally out of sync from the GFX. I ask again, is there a version of WinUAE that is not full of bugs? If anone can help me with WinUAE 88r8 to get the adzs and dms archives inserted while in fullscreen i will be a 'happy bunny'

Old 11 December 2002, 23:40   #8
Drake1009

How about just unarchiving the files first? ADZ files can be quickly unzipped with winzip if you just rename them to .z instead of .adz.

DMS files can be uncompressed to ADF with Xdms. Can't recall the command line parameters though.

And as for being out of sync. Buffering might cause that so if you enabled that it might be the reason.
Old 11 December 2002, 23:52   #9
fil

Nein

We were talking about WinUAE 88r9, and that does not have a buffering settings ... so not sure why you're telling me to do that, and as for the other versions of WinUAE WITH buffering settings, all buffering settings have been tried.

I have all my 1000+ disks as adz, and i'd rather not have to unzip them evertime i want to play a game. I was hoping for a decent solution, rather than a "idiots guide to emulation". But thanks anyway.

My request is simple, a version of WinUAE that lets me insert adz/dms files whilst in fullscreen emulation, that runs well, with sync'd undistorted sound.

Not much to ask for? ... is it?

Old 12 December 2002, 01:09   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Give 0.8.21 R4 a try.
Old 12 December 2002, 01:23   #11
Djay
95th User

i had terrible problems with sound on my p2 350... so i had to upgrade to a 2.0ghz machine... until then i put up with 08.08.R8
Old 12 December 2002, 13:35   #12
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

I too had a hell of a lot of sound hassles & stuck to 08.8r8,but like Drake & Djay,since 0821/2rx onwards, things improved markedly, esp from the WinUAE 0814/7 era.

@Fil. If you really want some "help", then a little more information & a little more politeness for the people here trying to assist you wouldn't hurt either-not much to ask for,is it?
Ian WAS talking about WINUAE 0822r3 & you responded to that, hence his suggestion about the sound buffer settings.

A description of your PC setup wouldn't hurt for example eg:Motherboard/CPU speed etc. Do you have onboard sound, or a dedicated card eg: Soundblaster live!?
If you have a VIA or Intel chipset for the M/B, do you have the latest drivers installed? If memory serves, certain older VIA chipsets had numerous issues with Creative's soundblaster series. What O/S, what version of DirectX etc.

Have you tried reducing your screen size for your fullscreen screen settings eg: 640x480, or 800x600 etc.
Have you tried switching to scanlines for line/display settings?
Remember, the more info you give, the more likely someone may have your specs & help with a solution!
Old 12 December 2002, 16:00   #13
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Arrow

.. and another good thing to do is setting the display refresh bar to "every second frame"; there is no noticeable difference, and the CPU has half of the graphic work to do! (i guess)
Old 12 December 2002, 16:12   #14
Drake1009

If you must have frameskit make it every 3rd frame instead of every 2nd frame. If you set it to every 2nd frame and you bump into a game where your character starts flashing for some reason or another. Most games I've seen which flash your character do so with 1 frame normal, 1 frame gone or changed in color or something. If you set every 2nd frame you won't see the person flashing but either being gone or there.
Old 12 December 2002, 20:46   #15
fil

To 7-Zark-7, Mr Softy & Drake1009

This message is especially for:-

7-Zark-7 & Drake1009

ok, let's try again:-

"My request is simple, a version of WinUAE that lets me insert adz/dms files whilst in fullscreen emulation, that runs well, with sync'd undistorted sound."

That doesn't mean skipping frames and having 'jerky' graphics, that doesn't mean explaing how to use winzip (??) and that doesn't include telling me how to use basic features on WinUAE like frameskip & Resolution settings
I'll repeat it again, just in case you can't understand:-

"My request is simple, a version of WinUAE that lets me insert adz/dms files whilst in fullscreen emulation, that runs well, with sync'd undistorted sound."

understand now 7-Zark-7 & Drake1009?

Old 12 December 2002, 21:01   #16
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Angry Hey Idiot!

Instead of repeating the same thing you've said before, why not actually LISTEN to what people are asking you?

The Amiga A5oo is still a complex machine to emulate, and no matter how good WinUAE is, if your PC isn't up to it, then thats pretty much it! As more successive versions of WinUAE get released and more features of the Amiga are supported, so it goes than in most cases, WinUAE will be slightly slower.

You seem hellbent on simply annoying people with your simpering, almost childish retorts such as (and I quote):

ok, let's try again:-

"My request is simple,

If I met you and you spoke to me like that, I'd knock you off your feet, plain and simple!

You want help? Try asking people and giving them the information they require to HELP YOU! They don`t charge a fee and most of the guys are pretty bloody helpful.

You, my 'friend' are not helpful.

Cut out the bullshit, answer their questions (i.e. tell them your PC setup) and who, knows, perhaps you might become a welcome addition to EAB.

So, MY REQUEST IS SIMPLE....At the moment, you're being a pain in the arse.... Do something about it!

Understand now fil?
Old 12 December 2002, 21:11   #17
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Re: Hey Idiot!

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
So, MY REQUEST IS SIMPLE....At the moment, you're being a pain in the arse.... Do something about it!

Well said.

fil - Thanks for that nice private message you tosser. That's the last time I upload anything for you, you ungratefull little fuckwit.

Last edited by Steve; 13 December 2002 at 01:04.
Old 12 December 2002, 21:26   #18
Drake1009

Indeed. We don't really have any versions of WinUAE that you haven't got access to. Well maybe some of us, but it only gets more CPU intensive. But at least we might know if someone had the same problem with the same hardware, then maybe someone could tell you what you might do to help.
Old 13 December 2002, 00:56   #19
fil

Galahad/FLT - That's interesting, "Idiot", that's what i'd call you, but i'd add "fucking" before it - so, let me do it for you, as you're intelligence level is quite obviously = low ... Fucking Idiot, ok?

Galahad/FLT = Fairlight? why don't you just put 'Fairlight' instead of your shite abreviation FLT ... fucking muppett!

now let's do it in chorus you fucking idiot! You have absolutely no understanding of my post ... you side with idiots, because you are 'an idiot'.

Steve = Fuck off and join the pricks
7-Zark-7 = BIG BIG Prick, fuck off
Drake1009 = Some respect retained, at least you didn't flame me, thanks mate, appreciated

message to 'twats' Throw me off EAB if you like ... but do that and retain your moronic status. You are real fucking pricks and i want nothing to do with you!!!! FUCK OFF!

Old 13 December 2002, 01:13   #20
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Red face Hey fil

I'm gonna have a guess at your age. Let me see... Twelve. I'm right aren't I.

You're not Marz Attacks twin brother by any chance? You both appear to have the same mental age. Two and a half.