English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 25 July 2011, 17:14   #41
MethodGit

Just goes to show what you know, Codetapper - I'm about to show StingRay my personal notes about what I know about these checksums (most of them anyway)! Don't assume silence to mean a lack of knowledge.....

Sorry for the delay, StingRay, had issues elsewhere, but I've been wanting to gather this up and post some good detailed chit-chat about what does what. My 'triggering' meant intentionally acheiving the bad flags so that I know what effect they cause on the game. Bear in mind I'm not out to "educate" you guys (since you know the game inside out already) or anything like that, just want to prove that I'm not talking out of my behind like you so love to believe.

Anyhoo....

Code:
(Note: all offsets here are based on viewing "GAME.500" in a hex editor, and *not* on Resourcer or RAM memory.)

Checksum #1 @ $14C88
--------------------
When is it called? Just before the game starts (i.e. before the stats screen appears).  It is called several times in succession for some reason.
What does it do? It checks if $2CEDA = -1 (or FFFF).  If it matches, it clears the instruction at $13A74 (called when you proceed to make a bid for a player in the Transfer Market section).
Result: Game gurus when you attempt to bid for a player in said section.
Notes: The most likely result for a cracker who assumes skipping the protection check will be all that's required.  Thank heavens I've learnt to come up with a better instruction then! ;)

Checksum #2 @ $2103A
--------------------
When is it called? Just before you access the "Stadium Construction" screen.
What does it do? It checks if $2CC16 = 303A ("MOVE.W XX(PC),D0"), the start of the routine called upon a non-match in the answer check.  If it does not match, it inserts an RTS at $13D0, which is the routine called whenever the game has to swap graphics over in-between screen changes.
Result: Game is denied the routine to clean out and refresh graphics upon each screen change, resulting in numerous glitches and an increasingly-difficult-to-make-out game.
Notes: I'm not quite sure what reason someone would have to alter $2CC16 myself!

Checksum #3 @ $27304
--------------------
When is it called? Unsure, have not found a way to invoke it in the game so far.
What does it do? It checks if $2CEDA = anything other than 0 or -1.  If it finds a 0, it calls $2CD08 - the routine that usually runs upon a failed answer check.
Result: Same screen as if you answered incorrectly three times, game lost, will need to reboot.
Notes: I don't know how the heck StingRay managed to come up with a different offset for the target check area, seeing as it's the same spot checked in #1!

Checksum #4 @ $276F4
--------------------
When is it called? Haven't found it yet.
What does it do? It checks if $2CC08 = DF - though why it would check for an illegal value in that spot and why anyone would want to put it there to begin with is a mystery for the ages.  This routine is supposed to clear the screenmem if it gets a match, apparently.
Result: Unknown?
Notes: StingRay already made a point about what exactly the point of this routine is (i.e. seemingly none).

Checksum #5 @ $29BAC
--------------------
When is it called? On the first page of the options menu (the one you get from clicking the question mark icon in the main menu).  It seems exclusive to the first page of it as it is called everytime you click the left icon at the bottom.
What does it do? It does a double-check, checking first if (the answer check spot at) $2CC08 = NOP, then checking the space after that ($2CC0A) for the same value.  If it gets a match during either one of these times, it inserts an RTE at $1C240, the start of the routine that's called when you click on the Phone icon in the main menu.
Result: The next time you choose to access the phone, the game immediately gurus.
Notes: I initially assumed it was going off by two bytes, but then I noticed it was doing the check twice in succession, so there you go!

Checksum #6 @ $2C70C
--------------------
When is it called? Just before the name entry screen appears, post-decryption-routine (if you allowed it to happen or not of course).
What does it do? It checks if $2E6CA = RTS, $2E6CA being the start of the decryption routine that is called before you get to enter your name.  If it matches, it empties out the exec area ($4 in RAM).
Result: Game gurus after you finish the codewheel check.
Notes: Strange how there's no check to see if the decryption call is branched past to begin with, as that is the one way of avoiding the decryption routine without falling foul of a checksum!
Old 25 July 2011, 17:22   #42
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

That doesn't really answer my question! How did you find these checksums? So far you have written what I already wrote in the comments of my source, you just used more words.
Old 25 July 2011, 17:37   #43
MethodGit

Well technically you didn't mention what effect checksum #2 caused , but seriously, I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly. Your notes didn't point the locations of the checksums out for me immediately, so I had to use my wit and find matching opcodes within the memory, put 2 and 2 together etc. I did initially have trouble with ARIII not finding the checksums straight away, but then I wisened up and made my search requests more explicit than usual, and that's when the fun part of setting up breakpoints and messing about with specific spots to achieve bad flags began. ^.^

Hard as it is for you to believe, I do take the time to back my findings up! At the end of the day, I've managed to learn a lot more internal stuff about this one game than I used to before.
Old 25 July 2011, 17:46   #44
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Well technically you didn't mention what effect checksum #2 caused ,
Says the one who asked quite some silly questions here in this thread.

Quote:
but seriously, I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly.
I am NOT surprised!

Quote:
Your notes didn't point the locations of the checksums out for me immediately, so I had to use my wit and find matching opcodes within the memory, put 2 and 2 together etc.
Who do you want to fool here? Without my notes you would NEVER EVER have found even one of the checks! Proof: Your attempts to crack this game which can be found here in this thread.
And it's very easy to find the exact locations of the checksums once someone tells you that the hunk header is not included in the offsets...

Quote:
I did initially have trouble with ARIII not finding the checksums straight away, but then I wisened up and made my search requests more explicit than usual, and that's when the fun part of setting up breakpoints and messing about with specific spots to achieve bad flags began. ^.^
Big words again. HOW did you find the checksums? I can tell you how I did it but I first want to hear what YOU did. And not any of this "I wisened up" nonsense, what exactly did you do to find the checks in the executable?

Quote:
Hard as it is for you to believe, I do take the time to back my findings up! At the end of the day, I've managed to learn a lot more internal stuff about this one game than I used to before.
It's not "hard to believe", I don't believe any of your stories at all here! The questions you asked here (and in your countless other threads here on EAB) are proof enough that it wasn't you who tracked down the checksums. End of story.
Old 25 July 2011, 18:03   #45
MethodGit

Wait wait wait, mistaken identity much? I never claimed to be the first one to track down the checksums. Yes, you did all of that first, but it was through the discussion of this game, the notes and the checksums that I took an interest in this game in the first place and decided to check it out for myself. Yes, I made a few mistakes regarding patches on here, but you learn every single day. We all do!

And I did assume at first that all the offsets were simply $20 bytes off of yours with the hunk header included, but my little spot of research proved otherwise!

I know I tend to get my words mixed up at times, but it seems time and time again people on here see me as some kind of arrogant, egotistical "know-it-all" master cracker. Frankly, I'd quite like to have whatever you're smoking please.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with the game for now. I learnt all about the decryption routine, the LEA adjustment tricks in the checksums, the way random spots in the game are chosen to initiate them, and even how to come up with alternate answer check opcodes that the routine changes into valid ones that mark all the ticks. Like I said, I'm not good with footie sims and I don't intend on spending many more hours trying to find any more ticks with it. This was a good learning experience, nothing more, nothing less. Now please cease the interrogations.
Old 25 July 2011, 18:15   #46
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Wait wait wait, mistaken identity much? I never claimed to be the first one to track down the checksums.
You claimed that you have tracked down the checksums!

Quote:
I finally tracked down all the checksums
So, once again, HOW did you track them down, what did you do? Reading my notes is NOT tracking down checksums, it's just copying my work, not more, not less!

Quote:
Frankly, I'd quite like to have whatever you're smoking please.
One of your best jokes ever!

Quote:
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with the game for now. I learnt all about the decryption routine, the LEA adjustment tricks in the checksums, the way random spots in the game are chosen to initiate them, and even how to come up with alternate answer check opcodes that the routine changes into valid ones that mark all the ticks. Like I said, I'm not good with footie sims and I don't intend on spending many more hours trying to find any more ticks with it. This was a good learning experience, nothing more, nothing less. Now please cease the interrogations.
Ok, lets summarise what you have learned:

- you have learned to copy my work and to brag about how you "tracked down the checksums" when it's clear that you don't have any clue how to do that

You have nothing to brag about until you prove that you can actually do things on your own!
Old 27 July 2011, 01:47   #47
e5frog
The Headstrong

Send a message via ICQ to e5frog Send a message via MSN to e5frog
@MethodGit: Don't you understand that it is meaningless to re-do the same work that has just been presented and then present that again. Even if you have done all the work yourself with no guidance (which is hard for anyone to believe) there's still no point to it.

Does it give US anything? I'll answer that for you - NO, there's no new information.
All it could possibly do is to boast your own ego ("I can do it too") but still, no idea in publishing your findings after the nut is already cracked.

@StingRay: Interesting crack, impressive work, how much time did you have to spend on it? Perhaps noone has cracked it properly before because it's a boring game to play. ;-)
Is there a lot of prestige in using certain rudimentary tools for a crack, seems smarter to me to do it the easiest way. I understand it's best to fully understand a protection scheme and backwards engineer the programmers ideas but it's perhaps not always the fastest approach?
Old 27 July 2011, 18:18   #48
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5frog View Post
@StingRay: Interesting crack, impressive work, how much time did you have to spend on it?
Didn't take me long to do, finding the actual protection routine wasn't hard, looking at it I noticed strange labels that pointed to the middle of some instructions which is always suspicious (these "strange" labels are a result of the disguised checks if the code has been tampered with), found the first check and then coded a very simple program which searched for all other protection checks and stored the offsets in a table so I could check each routine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5frog View Post
Is there a lot of prestige in using certain rudimentary tools for a crack, seems smarter to me to do it the easiest way. I understand it's best to fully understand a protection scheme and backwards engineer the programmers ideas but it's perhaps not always the fastest approach?
I almost only use ReSource and AsmPro for cracking, these 2 are all you need. But you can of course use any tool you like (I think that using cartridges for cracking such as Action Replay 3 is cheating though), in the end only the result counts, i.e. a working crack. And there are many ways to achieve that result, you just have to find your own favorite approach.