English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 November 2014, 00:45   #1
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Min Requirements

I'm messing around with my own version of the Dedicated UAE box that some (unfriendly) bloke on A.org made. Same hardware (a Thin client HP box). I've already "improved" the spec by upgrading CPU but the aim is to slim XP down to bare essentials and boot direct into XP.

There are of course a few good guides on doing the above. But what I wanted to know was what are the requirements for WinUAE. There doesnt seem to be a definitive statement on WinUAE.net

I did find some help here - http://www.vware.at/winuaehelp/

It says Win2000 and DirectX. I am wondering if WinUAE relies on any particular services from Windows - for example, to use Windows network and telnet, you'd need TCPIPv4 running... But I can dump TCPIPv6.

There are pre-slimmed XP versions like XPerience's XPLite but that is warez and I'd rather not make my own legit slimmed XP or 2000.

So, anyone know what WinUAE NEEDS?
Old 29 November 2014, 13:04   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

XP SP3. Won't even start on older versions.
Old 29 November 2014, 13:28   #3
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I'm messing around with my own version of the Dedicated UAE box that some (unfriendly) bloke on A.org made. Same hardware (a Thin client HP box). I've already "improved" the spec by upgrading CPU but the aim is to slim XP down to bare essentials and boot direct into XP.

There are of course a few good guides on doing the above. But what I wanted to know was what are the requirements for WinUAE. There doesnt seem to be a definitive statement on WinUAE.net

I did find some help here - http://www.vware.at/winuaehelp/

It says Win2000 and DirectX. I am wondering if WinUAE relies on any particular services from Windows - for example, to use Windows network and telnet, you'd need TCPIPv4 running... But I can dump TCPIPv6.

There are pre-slimmed XP versions like XPerience's XPLite but that is warez and I'd rather not make my own legit slimmed XP or 2000.

So, anyone know what WinUAE NEEDS?

Cpu support windows 8.1?
Old 29 November 2014, 20:55   #4
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

In Australa they speak English - could you? Thanks Tony... XP it is then!
Old 30 November 2014, 07:37   #5
Vot

Quote:
In Australa they speak English - could you? Thanks Tony... XP it is then!

Seriously you cant follow the gist of what I'm saying ? I actually typed "Does the cpu support windows 8.1?" but must have made a typo i guess i missed the space between them and deleted the autocorrect. And if your going to slag off at me at least spell Australia correctly.

I was going suggest 8.1 and kiosk mode and some simple slimming tools if your hardware supports it. However it seems you would rather be pedantic and as unfriendly as the slim pc guy so I wont bother.
Old 30 November 2014, 07:49   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
And if your going to slag off at me at least spell Australia correctly.
The location in your profile says Australa..
Old 30 November 2014, 07:57   #7
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
The location in your profile says Australa..

Ha that is funny, not sure i made that cockup although my details seem to have been reset as I had EAB supporter on and I think other info entered as well.
Old 30 November 2014, 08:06   #8
mc6809e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vot View Post
Seriously you cant follow the gist of what I'm saying ?
I think it was the lack of articles in the reply that threw him.

Ever see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074937/? There are a series of jokes centered on the absence of articles Sidney Wang's sentences. Very funny.

Last edited by mc6809e; 30 November 2014 at 08:18.
Old 30 November 2014, 14:21   #9
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Someone had a sense of humour bypass? Seriously though I thought Australians were game for a laugh.

Yes, your post was a little too cryptic. Have to wonder though if 8.1 and Kiosk mode (didn't know about that) would be any lighter on resources. I did look into WinFLP as well. I've also used nLite and similar tools but XP does seem lighter to me.

Also HDD space is limited to 1Gb DOM on the box so another plus for XP as it is easy to get an install down to 700Mb or less
Old 30 November 2014, 15:53   #10
Hewitson

Quote:
Someone had a sense of humour bypass? Seriously though I thought Australians were game for a laugh.
Old 30 November 2014, 22:25   #11
Vot

Min Requirements

Quote:

Yes, your post was a little too cryptic. Have to wonder though if 8.1 and Kiosk mode (didn't know about that) would be any lighter on resources. I did look into WinFLP as well. I've also used nLite and similar tools but XP does seem lighter to me.

Also HDD space is limited to 1Gb DOM on the box so another plus for XP as it is easy to get an install down to 700Mb or less

Windows 8/8.1 is pretty close in performance to normal xp when slimmed. Pretty good on cpu/memory - better than windows 7/vista etc. however it does use a fair bit of hdd tho). Catch is your cpu must support NX, PAE and SSE2. Look at win8reducer.

And yes I'm fairly humourless these days. My 1.5 year old waking me up at 2am seems to have a negative impact on my cheery disposition.

Last edited by Vot; 01 December 2014 at 00:43.
Old 01 December 2014, 10:02   #12
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I find gin in the bottle feed helps.. My Mum said it helped with me :-) And I won't touch alcohol now so all a bonus!

CPU is a Sempron and probably wont run 8.xx