English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 April 2009, 15:49   #21
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

Truly gross. Cloanto can go fcuk themselves, no one buys Amiga Forever so why would anyone buy a C64 emu when you don't need to 'illegally' download KS roms? What a bunch of crap.
Old 18 April 2009, 15:51   #22
Marcuz

my... why stop there? why not to shoot also cats because they parasitize the world?

seriously, are you considering that noone is forcing you to buy anything?
Old 18 April 2009, 16:55   #23
gizmomelb

people will buy this because they will assume that it is a legit way to buy and play retro C64 games, that and ignorance of the emulation scene and where to download emulators and games.

not to mention that the casual gamer wanting to play something from their youth it is easier and faster for them to buy an easy to install / use setup than tool around finding, downloading, configuring and then figuring out / remembering how to use it from a freeware site.

people are lazy and ignorant, that's why packs like this exist and will always exist.
Old 18 April 2009, 16:59   #24
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb View Post
people will buy this because they will assume that it is a legit way to buy and play retro C64 games, that and ignorance of the emulation scene and where to download emulators and games.

people are lazy and ignorant, that's why packs like this exist and will always exist.
Insert clapping emoticon here...

PZ.
Old 18 April 2009, 17:48   #25
Sensi
Unregistered User

Another reason why they buy this is the obsession to have everything related to their fav gaming machine. Its like LOTR mania, books about movies, books about JRRT books, cards. Collectors
Old 20 April 2009, 12:37   #26
asm1

Balls to them (Cloanto) if I want a C64 I'll emulate one on my Miggy ..... true retro

If people want to pay for it they will... if they don't then they wont. Simple.
Old 20 April 2009, 12:50   #27
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
why not to shoot also cats because they parasitize the world?
Whoah whoah whoah.... I think you're out of order there
Old 20 April 2009, 13:00   #28
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
my... why stop there? why not to shoot also cats because they parasitize the world?
What do cats have to do about a product being released by Cloanto ?

Majority of problems with cats are because the owners are brainless drongo's who dont care about what happens.

I own cats and do the right thing by them and I take offense to the comment Marco, out of line and off topic (For a moderator).
Old 20 April 2009, 13:00   #29
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150 View Post
Whoah whoah whoah.... I think you're out of order there
guess you are right, after all it's us who parasitize cats

whiteb... it was sarcasm, the only thing that it gets to me when i read stuff about shooting people because they sell legally a software.
Old 20 April 2009, 13:07   #30
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

can we shoot people who sell illegally a software?

you know, those ones who just... claim they own it because of laws they made up in their head?

can we?

*loads shotgun* please?

Old 20 April 2009, 13:28   #31
Marcuz

no "we" can't. nor anybody else, it's the law, luckily.
i don't want to be a moralist here, just to say, c'mon get real.
you can already damage any company by not buying their product, and to express and make known the other choices available.

to vote, so to speak, for the closing of a company is as bad as it would be if they were forcing you to buy their product, and this is not even that case.

you don't like C64 Forevere? don't buy it and that's it.

but to say that nobody should because there are already other free options?
well let me ask you, if walking is free, why people want to get on the bus? you say walking is healtier and therefore you should cut the buses' tires?
Old 20 April 2009, 13:40   #32
Rixa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
why would anyone buy a C64 emu when you don't need to 'illegally' download KS roms? What a bunch of crap.
I don't claim to know what C64 Forever is all about and I don't like Cloanto much, but not for the same reasons as all the hate on this board.

That being said I'm not sure I understand the point above. C64 and the other platforms emulated by VICE and even the various disk drives supported all have rom chips in them with system code. The code is widely - but probably improperly - available, and the upstream VICE packages even includes it. The rom files are removed in things like Debian, though, and the emulator won't work without them.

Meanwhile, I did once ask Cloanto if they have license to distribute the various games they ship and they answered that apart from the possible exception of the cracker intros themselves they do. Is there something blatantly obvious in there that they're shipping improperly in spite of what they say?
Old 20 April 2009, 13:46   #33
humble worm

Quote:
well let me ask you, if walking is free, why people want to get on the bus?
Because bus is X times faster than legs and you wont get tired.

It's rather like free ride vs ride with ticket. Even if the ticket is falsified some may still feel a bit more comfortable with the worthless piece of paper in the pocket
Old 20 April 2009, 13:50   #34
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Guys, look at the second post in this thread and there is the answer why this C64 Forever isn't really worth buying. If there wasn't anything for the 'I don't want to mess around with emus' user I would understand the point, but there are already 'free buses', so why pay for one?
Old 20 April 2009, 13:53   #35
Marcuz

yeah i'm not saying C64 forever is worth buying (albeit Gamebase is years due an interface rehaul imho), but it's not worth throwing tantrums either!
Old 20 April 2009, 13:54   #36
humble worm

Heh, there are also other possibilities... friend of mine has told me recently that the conception of paying for... love turns him on. maybe c64 forever is made for guys like him
Old 20 April 2009, 14:21   #37
discomeats
Just add brown sauce.

the "royal we" it seems, is misunderstood, as is poor quality jokes...

vote to close company? not what I typed, not "so to speak", but actually *not* what I typed

and as for damaging a company by not buying their product and making note of other choices available.. no. that's an illogical assertion, selling a product that a market in the main does not require is a company's own fault, it's most absolutely not any non-consumers, any damage that results is down to the company's poor marketing strategy of dipping their toes into a saturated area that has competition that is free. Now they may have a good marketing angle and it could well work in their case, but in my opinion it seems somewhat redundant.

Are you going to say to everyone who doesn't care for this project "nobody is forcing you to buy it" ?

I remember people saying that when ridiculously overpriced "new amiga" boards came out...
Old 20 April 2009, 14:33   #38
Sensi
Unregistered User

Some people wanna buy collection of games which are available for free download on net, some people dont wanna buy them and dont understand why others want to. Full stop?
Old 20 April 2009, 15:55   #39
Xytec

Coming next 'Dehydrated Water', just add a pint of water to it, and you get a pint of refreshing drink, only £2.50 a pack from Cloanto
Old 20 April 2009, 16:04   #40
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xytec View Post
Coming next 'Dehydrated Water', just add a pint of water to it, and you get a pint of refreshing drink, only £2.50 a pack from Cloanto
Put me down the preorder line with an order of a 12 pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!