English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 May 2018, 15:37   #61
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Even if the ICs start to fail I wouldn't see it beyond the community in the future to have a replace new part of FPGA replacement.
Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being possible to just print new chips.
Old 21 May 2018, 17:20   #62
UberFreak

I have multiple models connected at any given time, they've been running stable for years while my PCs break down from time to time...

I'm not worried, I have enough Amiga HW spares to last my lifetime
I expect to get at least 30+ more years of enjoyment out of this gear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
You are limited to using only that model, always spend money on maintenance and upgrading. With WinUAE you have all the AMiGA models with maximum expansion with just one click. To conclude the AMiGA Hardware very soon will extinguish with its users (now all old), WinUAE it will remain forever and will never die.
Old 21 May 2018, 17:29   #63
AMIGASYSTEM

I have 1 A4000/060, 2 A1200/030, 2 A600/HD, 1 A500Plus, 2 A500, 2 CD32 of which one with expansion SX32 i have not used for more than 20 years. Imagine how much space I would need to keep them all turned on, apart from the fact that my wife would send me away from home in spite of being with me for 40 years.

With WinUAE I do not have these problems I have all the Amiga at the click of a button from OS 1.1 to OS 4.1, not to mention that I have an AMiGA system "AFA OS" that I could never have on a real Amiga.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 May 2018, 19:33   #64
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Sure they're mil spec, but still...
Maybe Doomy's mil-spec Amigas will be the only ones left running. Who'd have thought he'd have the last laugh?
Old 21 May 2018, 19:36   #65
UberFreak

It might work for you, but I dont enjoy emulation, of any platform.
If I can't use the original hardware, I'd rather not do anything.

As for space, I currently have on a single desk (with a few shelves):
A500, A4000, Atari 1040STE, C=128D, C64, Atari 800XL and two CRT monitors.
It took some work to get everything setup nicely but it was worth the effort.

If there's a will, there's a way
Old 21 May 2018, 20:01   #66
trixster
Guru Meditating

For me, the entire point of Amiga (and other old systems) is using the original hardware. Getting the most (or more through expansion) of the hardware is what makes it fun. But I think emulation is great too, just not as good as the real thing. Maybe my opinion will change if stuff starts to fail and becomes too expensive to repair.
Old 22 May 2018, 12:57   #67
Glen M

I can understand the argument for emulation when it comes to space. My solution to the thing was to build one of off the shelf wooden cabins in our back garden as my space and now that we are moving house one of my requirements was a replacement space. Its not ideal but I've got an outhouse thats about 5m long but only 1.6m wide so it'll be setup with console gaming at one end, computers at the other and maybe my decks in the middle.

I fully understand not everyone is lucky enough to have to space or funds to do such a thing. FYI we took an extension on our mortgage to build the original man shed which some may think is crazy but this is my hobby and I was happy to put the time and effort into such a project.

Emulation of course is quick, easy, cheap (if not free) and takes up no more space than a single PC or laptop or tablet but as I said before I struggle to enjoy the experience. It has its place for setting up hdds or for testing software etc but for me the enjoyment is in the hardware.

I suppose in some ways it comes does to are you a hardware collector or a software collector. That's a fairly broad sweeping statement but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.
Old 22 May 2018, 13:28   #68
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
But I think emulation is great too, just not as good as the real thing. .
Se si sa utilizzare l'emulatore è difficile trovare qualcosa che non funziona, indeed there are things that work better than the real Amiga, see Doom games, Quake, see 3D Graphics programs etc ..
Old 22 May 2018, 13:33   #69
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
. My solution to the thing was to build one of off the shelf wooden cabins in our back garden as my space and now that we are moving house one of my requirements was a replacement space. g.
What difference there is tra use AmigaOS in a wooden cabins or in one Box PC-Windows? when i use Amiga, i look at the screen, i do not watch box containing it.
Old 22 May 2018, 14:05   #70
Glen M

Quote:
What difference there is tra use AmigaOS in a wooden cabins or in one Box PC-Windows? when i use Amiga, i look at the screen, i do not watch box containing it.
Each to their own.
Old 22 May 2018, 19:21   #71
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
i do not watch box containing it.
I sort of gently stroke the cases. The solidity of yellowed bromiated plastic is something that can't be emulated.
Old 22 May 2018, 19:23   #72
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
I sort of gently stroke the cases. The solidity of yellowed bromiated plastic is something that can't be emulated.
Plastic should not be emulated should be eliminated
Old 22 May 2018, 20:27   #73
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
It might work for you, but I dont enjoy emulation, of any platform.
If I can't use the original hardware, I'd rather not do anything.
...so I take it you don't play arcade classics then via MAME?

Must be an expensive hobby to buy all those jamma boards and a real hassle changing games
Old 23 May 2018, 12:53   #74
Glen M

I was thinking about this again this morning on the way to work and from the games point of view...

Maybe it all comes down to if you're a retro gamer or an old skool gamer.

Retro is something new dressed up to be something old.
Old is, well, just old.

Personally I'd fall into the old skool category and that why I enjoy the original hardware but don't reply enjoy the emulation.

As for arcade games the hardware is so expensive that emulation is really the only feasible option, not that Amiga hardware is cheap. Maybe if I didn't have my 1200 and cd32 from childhood still I would see it differently....

Just thinking out loud as always gents.
Old 23 May 2018, 13:29   #75
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...so I take it you don't play arcade classics then via MAME?

Must be an expensive hobby to buy all those jamma boards and a real hassle changing games
I'm not really into arcades, although I do want to own one or two original cabinets.
Maybe someday, when I have a bigger apartment.
Old 23 May 2018, 13:33   #76
UberFreak

Quote:
As for arcade games the hardware is so expensive that emulation is really the only feasible option, not that Amiga hardware is cheap. Maybe if I didn't have my 1200 and cd32 from childhood still I would see it differently....
I started visiting flea-markets regularly during the 90's, when 70's/80's machines were plentiful and dirt cheap.
Also had been lucky to be given lots of stuff during the years, through people I met.
I would not pay today's crazy prices, which is why my collection hasn't grown in some years now.
Old 16 November 2018, 03:39   #77
Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
I would not pay today's crazy prices, which is why my collection hasn't grown in some years now.

im the other way iv just got mine out of the loft after 23 years and seeing what its now capable of and if i spend £250 getting it back working and the screws finally done up since i got it from brand new its things like winuae and cf-ide no cable 16gb cf drive as a hdd and whdload along with Indivision AGA MK2c to bring it up to modern day life but also without butchering my amiga case that might keep mine out on display in the living room proudly under my 4k tv for my grand children to use for the next 23 years .

to answer the question tho i use winuae to get setup but ounce ive done that the 16gb cf card goes in my a1200

Last edited by Triple; 16 November 2018 at 03:51.
Old 16 November 2018, 10:01   #78
nolunchman

The Forever Amiga package is a fantastic tool to explore the Amiga.

BUT

A large part of owning an Amiga is tearing it apart on a regular basis and modifying/fixing/tweaking the hardware. You can't emulate jumpering wires to CIA chips, installing ROMs or painstakingly prying up zip chips.
Old 17 November 2018, 09:06   #79
Pyromania

You don’t really see that kind of debate mentioned by the original poster in this thread in the Linux & Windows communities. They run their OSes on dedicated hardware if required or in a Virtual Machine if that’s the solution that solves the mission. WinUAE is one of the finest examples of Machine Virtualization technologies. It really just depends on each users needs. It’s a personal desire like daily food choices. In today’s modern world I feel it’s best to have lots of solutions to run the Amiga; FPGA, Virtual Machines, Classic hardware, cool hardware upgrades and next generation hardware. The more ways you can run Amiga and clones of it the better. That will help reincarnate and grow this shattered community and make computing fun again.

Last edited by Pyromania; 17 November 2018 at 09:11. Reason: Grammer
Old 26 November 2018, 00:31   #80
Marchie

Real hardware is just so much fun. Love my room full of Amigas.