English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Modules

Old 08 December 2008, 23:05   #1
Kola

Question Turrican one midi or mod files

Hi,

I am looking for either MIDI or MOD files of the original Turrican game for the Amiga. I am not interested in Remixed files, only the original in game music.

The files must be able to be opened and edited in either.....

1 - Med Soundstudio on my Amiga A1200
2 - Winuae PC
3 - Cubase for either the Atari ST or PC
3 - Renoise for the PC.

I keep drawing a blank with this.

I have looked at the FAQ guide and tried Exotica (http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/Turrican) but none of the three apps I want to load the files into work.

Please note I want to re create and possibly remix the original soundtrack so something like deliplayer is of no use to me.

Failing ever finding these files I am left with two options. A - Playing it all back by ear. A tedious process and very time consuming, or B - ripping the game myself. I have never ripped a mod from a game before. If these files are no where to be seen how do I go about ripping myself.

Many thanks to anyone who tried to help me with this. I will always update and reply to any answers below.

Kola
Old 08 December 2008, 23:17   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The Turrican music is in TFMX format, which is impossible to convert to mod. You can get the TFMX tracker here : http://old.exotica.org.uk/editors/archive/?C=N;O=D (TFMX_V2.2.lha) and get the pattern information. Then you could use the sample ripper inside WinUAE to get the samples used and reconstruct the songs. Hope this helps at least a bit
Old 08 December 2008, 23:48   #3
Kola

Ah right - explains alot.

Im not bothered about the samples at all. Just what what note is played when as Ill be reconstructing all the sounds myself with better than 8 bit sounds. As long as ive got the correct note sequences the rest will become very easy.

Got your link but not sure what I am to do next. So I download TFMX_V2.2.lha? Once downloaded how do I open it?

Thanks for shining a light on this as I was well and truly in the dark until your reply.
Old 09 December 2008, 00:00   #4
DH
Global Moderator

LHA is an Amiga Archive, you should be able to use Winzip, Winrar, 7zip to extract the files to a folder on your PC (preferably the folder you are using as the harddrive for the emulation)

btw: Welcome to EAB
Old 09 December 2008, 00:06   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Got your link but not sure what I am to do next. So I download TFMX_V2.2.lha? Once downloaded how do I open it?

Thanks for shining a light on this as I was well and truly in the dark until your reply.
You're welcome (also to the EAB ). Like DH said use WinRAR (WinZip can't handle lha files) to extract the archive and put it either over to you real Amiga HD or to a virtual HD in WinUAE (mapped folder). If you don't know how to set up a Workbench HD in WinUAE have a look here : http://guide.abime.net/home3.htm
Old 09 December 2008, 00:15   #6
Kola

Thanks fellas. Answers really appreciated. Working on how to install in
win uae
at mo.
Didn't
have
win rar
on my newly formatted laptop hence how I
couldn't
open file before.

Ill let you all know how I get on.

EDIT - Doh! saved with google toolbar spell checker still active. Sorry
Old 09 December 2008, 00:19   #7
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
WinZip can't handle lha files
Haha, only put that one in 'cause I didn't know which one I had installed since I changed to 7zip. Now I've found out, I don't even have Winzip installed on the PC, it's definitely WinRAR, but I use 7zip, 'cause I like it
Old 09 December 2008, 00:23   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Haha, only put that one in 'cause I didn't know which one I had installed since I changed to 7zip. Now I've found out, I don't even have Winzip installed on the PC, it's definitely WinRAR, but I use 7zip, 'cause I like it
Yup, 7Zip is fine too. I don't like the file manager (I love the format though ), so I use WinRAR as my extract tool most of the time
Old 09 December 2008, 00:33   #9
Kola

think I got winuae sorted with a hardrive.

How do I get it to go from the insert floppy splash screen to load up the actual HD?

Sorry if all these Qs are very newbie ish. Id prefer to do all of this on my acctual 1200 but transfering files across probies even more of a nightmare as I have to DL on my PC
Old 09 December 2008, 00:38   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Insert the Workbench disk and boot it. Then insert the install disk and install Amiga OS to your HD. Have a look in post #5
Old 09 December 2008, 00:38   #11
Kola

sorry got that above. Had to reinstall the whole thing but thats another story

OK I unzipped file on my PC and copied it to where my UAE hard disk is but it doesnt show up on UAE even though it is in my hard drive dir.
Old 09 December 2008, 00:47   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Copy the files from the 'devs/keymaps' folder in your systems 'devs/keymaps' folder first. Then open a shell window (inside the 'System' drawer is the icon for it) and type 'cd TFMX_v2.2'. After that start it with 'tfmxed1'.
Old 09 December 2008, 00:56   #13
Kola

Sorry to be a pain. I have done that and I now get a black screen.

I mean totally black with one white box and my cursor arrow.

Nothing to click on or anything
Old 09 December 2008, 01:05   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just tried it again and it's quite unstable (got two gurus and a black screen too). Tried it with WB 2.0 and it worked like a charm... So if you have the possibility to install WB 2.0 I would go with that. It's an old app and might not like the new OS too much. Maybe someone can tell you something more about how to get it running, since I haven't really used it yet
Old 09 December 2008, 01:08   #15
Kola

Just googling around and found an old thred from here 2002.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=6718

Also Cyberdruid actually replied on there (bet you cant remember haha)

The thread is about people wanting to extract TFMX files manually if need by into mod format.

Cyberdruid - you recommend downloading a turrican sound pack 2nd post from bottom. Would you still recommend this for me. The link is still active.

I have the .adf file now on UAE but am unsure how to open it or proceed. Any help appreciated.
Old 09 December 2008, 01:23   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The songs on the disk are also in TFMX format Just nice if you want to listen to them, but not for a remix. If you want the notes (pattern data) you have to load it in the TFMX editor. Maybe someone here has a better alternative to load it and see the notes.
Old 09 December 2008, 01:26   #17
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
an adf file is a floppy disk image
Old 09 December 2008, 01:29   #18
Kola

If anyone has a better alternative that would be superb but until then Ill take it im gonna have to do it the hard way.

So, now im armed with that file and it contains all the data I need. Question is, hw do I access it? You mention a TFMX editor. Any particular one? Is there one available for PC? Googling as I type lol
Old 09 December 2008, 01:35   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
If anyone has a better alternative that would be superb but until then Ill take it im gonna have to do it the hard way.

So, now im armed with that file and it contains all the data I need. Question is, hw do I access it? You mention a TFMX editor. Any particular one? Is there one available for PC? Googling as I type lol
Erm, that's what is inside the lha archive There you have the editor which can display the song information. You just need to get it working...
Old 09 December 2008, 01:38   #20
Kola

Ah right.

The one where I need workbench 2?