English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 July 2019, 13:01   #321
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
true. AMMX instructions are not in the OS, but in applications like, such as, RiVA. CoffinOS is made in ths way. if you have Vampire you can use some specific file for the card and if you haven't these ones will be ignored.
If you have Amiga 500 3.1 and lot of RAM you can run CoffinOS also with 68000@7 Mhz processor.
Well "AMMX" uses the same register-sharing tricks as the original x86 MMX did right? New instructions that work on existing FPU registers so that the OS doesn't need to know about them when doing context switches.

Which reminds me. In what version of AmigaOS did the OS learn about FPU registers for context switching? 1.3?
Old 26 July 2019, 14:18   #322
Seiya

i really don't know if AMMX work like x86 MMX, so i cannot answer on this side. CoffinOS is made to run on any amiga model. Of coruse there some utilities, some software specific 68080 that run only on that processor.

MMX is integer only and cannot work together FPU, but they share the same registers so switching from registers modes (from FP to MMX and viceversa) take as far as 50 cpu cycles. If AMMX works like MMX could be problems in fpu intensive softwares.
Old 26 July 2019, 14:53   #323
grond

The mode switching on x86 processors has to do with the (old and deprecated) FPU instruction opcodes being reused for encoding MMx instructions. This is not the case for AMMx where AMMx and FPU instructions can be used together.
Old 26 July 2019, 19:17   #324
Seiya

i searched some info on Ammx but there isn't so much, so i thought it was like mmx.

Last edited by Seiya; 26 July 2019 at 19:24.
Old 26 July 2019, 20:06   #325
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activist View Post
Thanks for that.
Uae, Installed 3.1.4, uaegfx, picasso install,ran the installer for afa 4.8, edited startup sequence to morelibspace, afa_os_loader, reboot. No change.
What other steps are there for 3.1.4 or missed something? Thanks
AfA-OS you don't have to install it but just copy some files as shown in the video.

You copied wizard.library (v45.1) in libs? without this library AfA-OS Prefs does not work

After the installation you have to start AfA_Prefs that you copied in SYS:Prefs.

As soon as you save the Theme you have to restart the system, then you can change the themes without restarting.
Old 27 July 2019, 08:24   #326
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by activist View Post
Forgot to say using 68030 in fs-uae chip ram fast ram and memory card ram. Maybe just doesn't work with that sorry.
I haven't forgotten, if you see the video i used a 68040 FPU.
However it works AfA-OS also works with the 68020, the Guru that you have received is due to the lack of "FPU" necessary to the AfA-OS extension; which is why before, which is why before it couldn't have been installed on the Vampire.
Old 29 July 2019, 13:15   #327
ronybeck

I am looking forward to the V4 standalone for sure. I am super happy with the V2 accelerators in my A500 and A600. A stand alone with AGA support seems like the next logical step. 060 cards are super rare and well over priced. My V2 is super quick and about 1/3 the cost of an 060. The V4 will be even more interesting.
Old 30 July 2019, 18:59   #328
hUMUNGUs

Got the V500+ and i´m really looking forward to the V4 SA. :-)
Old 10 August 2019, 20:15   #329
Overflow

For the musical inclined Amigan

Amiga Vampire, Roland SC-55 MK2 and Horny MIDI Sequencer

Machine:
Amiga 2000
Vampire 500 V2+
Core, Gold 2.12, x11

[ Show youtube player ]

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...22338&z=uLr52i
Old 10 August 2019, 20:50   #330
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Which reminds me. In what version of AmigaOS did the OS learn about FPU registers for context switching? 1.3?
Before that. 1.2 and 1.3 are, as far as exec is concerned, almost identical. What did change was autobooting. This was important for booting off harddisks. FPU support for the 68881/882 came earlier and was already present at 1.2.
Old 15 August 2019, 22:52   #331
Overflow

Here is a video of playing Diablo on A600 with Vampire V2;

http://www.apollo-core.com/gfx/diablo.mp4

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...3&x=1&z=iILMN-
Old 16 August 2019, 00:21   #332
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Yeah Arczi and I are working on the Diablo port to 68k
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97950
Old 16 August 2019, 01:56   #333
Ledfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
Yeah Arczi and I are working on the Diablo port to 68k
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=97950

Looks great so far guys!!!
Old 18 August 2019, 15:23   #334
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

I wonder if a StarCraft port would be possible. I would die a happy person.
Old 18 August 2019, 16:12   #335
TuKo
Apollo Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
I wonder if a StarCraft port would be possible. I would die a happy person.

R.I.P.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44398
Old 19 August 2019, 07:26   #336
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Before that. 1.2 and 1.3 are, as far as exec is concerned, almost identical. What did change was autobooting. This was important for booting off harddisks. FPU support for the 68881/882 came earlier and was already present at 1.2.
Yeah I feel dumb speculating about 1.3 because I remember I had a 1.2 system with a 68881 at one point.

Also I just checked and AMMX apparently *doesn't* work like MMX, and introduces 32 new 64-bit registers for it, but the FPU *can* use the registers? I'm a bit confused by this and I assume that exec will have to be patched at boot because otherwise it will have zero knowledge about how to context switch those registers and you will get fun crashes from two tasks inheriting eachothers registers.
Old 19 August 2019, 15:22   #337
blade002
Zone Friend

I'm looking forward to something I can't afford.
Old 14 September 2019, 08:36   #338
Overflow

Join Apollo Team IRC via browser;

https://webchat.freenode.net/#apollo-team

http://www.apollo-core.com/index.htm?page=products

Some V1200 updates

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge...note=22998&x=1

Last edited by Overflow; 14 September 2019 at 08:45.
Old 14 September 2019, 09:26   #339
Overflow

http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=1&note=23117

September'19 Activity Report

Team has been super busy this summer, not drinking caipirinhas nor London mules but working on topics we are all super excited to hear about: Vampire Standalone and V1200. Let's not hold horses anymore and open the starting gates.

GOLD2.12
GOLD2.12 is still in the work and we want to fix a few issues before releasing it in final state. Simo has already posted two Release Candidate builds in forum for people to try it out and we got some feedbacks that we need to handle.

Amiga34
We will be there and have set ourselves quite some big goals for that weekend:
1. Meet nice people
2. Party with nice people
3. Discuss and share our Amiga passion

Gunnar will also be presenting and discussing Vampire on stage on Sunday afternoon. We are all looking forward to measure how much his eyes will be opened. I wouldn't be surprised if he wears sunglasses that day.

Amiga34 is quite a challenge for us since we have things to show and demonstrate there but getting them ready them takes time, which we lack. That event is a milestone for us and we are doing everything we can to achieve it.

More infos about the event : EXTERNAL LINK

Alchimie 13
Next event will be Alchimie 13 in France on 1 to 3 November and a small subset of team will be there, mostly French speakers. For those who couldn't attend Amiga34, they have an opportunity there to get a catch-up session and attend a super event.

More infos about the event: EXTERNAL LINK

Vampire V1200
For the record, we have shown the first working Vampire 1200 V2 prototype at OufParty in June. Since then, work on it continued and another revision of it was made since we hadn't a case to test all mechanical parts. Thing is sometimes better is the enemy of good and we broke the Digital Video Out part in that last revision, meaning another one was needed and delaying things a bit again (two more weeks).

To make a long story short, issue is fixed and a big batch of PCBs and components has been ordered to fulfill our A1200 needs.

Vampire V4
Since June, lot of things happened in team and lot of discussion went on to make sure the Vampire Standalone is a super product and truly a complete new Amiga.

Those discussions made us take some very big decision regarding the future of Vampire Standalone. So many questions have been debated until early in the Morning... Isn't the target level too high for us? Isn't Amiga a dead platform after all? Aren't 68020 accelerators good enough for everybody? What if someone resurrect Cyberstorm designs? What if after all trolls were right since the beginning? Is Steven Seagal really a bad actor? After quickly answering all those, we pushed the button and started to mass produce V4 for general availability :-) Period.

I am very happy and pleased to confirm everybody that the order for a first batch of Vampire Standalone that will target end-users has been placed!

Some very minor changes have been made to the PCB from developers boards you might have seen (mounting holes instead of capacitor holes, removal of 68k socket, optimizing design for solderability, etc.). No feature change, just some adjustment to ease the industrial process.

That first batch will also be special as we will be selling it directly. Idea behind this is to let us start very quickly the engine to produce more. Then, next batches will be running exclusively through resellers.

To make it even more special, those who will get one will get a complete bundle for the price of the card, meaning they will get tested compatible mouse, compatible keyboard, PSU, case and some other goodies. Also, those sales will be only for people attending Amiga34 and we hope to be able to deliver those bundles during the event. More info will come about that soon.

Core side, we are rushing to make sure cards get delivered with a polished core. Our VHDLers and developers are having some kind of "bukkake party" towards our SVN server (gross, disgusting, meh) and that bitch loves that (since majsta is posting articles implying his dick and Brad Pitt, I thought the limit was already passed on so...). Now that you have the picture, understand they are all committing a lot to bring best experience possible on first launch. Happy face!

Conclusion
We finally are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for V4 and V1200 and we are really looking forward to bring it to the market, after so many months of work. It is still quite stressful since we want it super from the beginning.
Old 15 September 2019, 05:41   #340
amiwolf

In the home stretch now!

Thank you for the heads-up, Overflow. Best start saving my pennies.