English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 06 November 2017, 21:03   #1
xboxown

emufan can you please port this to Amiga!!?

Hey,

http://www.agidev.com/download/ Is it possible you could port this to the Amiga? With this tool we would be able to make all sort of adventure games like king quest, etc.

Please please please consider porting this! Please!
Old 07 November 2017, 00:28   #2
grelbfarlk

Why not https://github.com/mmoreira2000/scummeditor ? Scumm>AGI. Well except I prefer the text input of AGI.

Or maybe:
https://github.com/AlbanBedel/scummc/wiki

Looks easy to port (famous last words).
Old 07 November 2017, 01:40   #3
xboxown

I agree 100%. EmuFan can you port scummEditor or ScummC or both or something? It would be super cool!

Hey grelbfarlk, are you not going to port the stuff you ported for MorphOS to Amiga 68k or you will not support Amiga 68k?

I am curious.
Old 07 November 2017, 01:54   #4
emufan

I'm a bit lazy these days with the cross-compiling stuff

I did a quick test with scummc, without success:
Code:
bash-3.2$ CC=m68k-amigaos-gcc.exe CFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -noixemul" ./configure

Configuring ScummC on machine

Host system: cygwin_nt-6.1-wow64
Sources: /cygdrive/d/tmp/scummc-master
Compiler: m68k-amigaos-gcc.exe (gcc 3.4.0)
Unknown cpu: m68k
bash-3.2$
it does not recognize the cpu type. hmm.

#1) ah, simple check in the configure script *brb*
#2) it's just a check if big or little-endian stuff, fixed.
but now it wants bison tool, not included with the gcc I use. :/

#3) i will test with gcc 2.95.x - is a more complete package
#4) not a quick one , it seems. missing include files, undeclared and already declared stuff. :/

this will take some time and i have to look closer at the files, I cannot make any promisses.
but I will return to this.

Last edited by emufan; 07 November 2017 at 02:20.
Old 07 November 2017, 02:11   #5
xboxown

You are awesome emufan!! Thank you for even tackling it
Old 07 November 2017, 04:10   #6
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
I agree 100%. EmuFan can you port scummEditor or ScummC or both or something? It would be super cool!

Hey grelbfarlk, are you not going to port the stuff you ported for MorphOS to Amiga 68k or you will not support Amiga 68k?

I am curious.
MorphOS? The stuff I did was for WarpOS which are up on Aminet now-crappy though they may be.
Old 07 November 2017, 06:20   #7
xboxown

Meaning i need either an a4000 with PPC or an over priced PPC Amiga to run this and have Amiga OS 4.x.

Again neither of these things will do for me as I am 100% an amiga 68k user. Is there no way you can por tthme to 68k amiga, please?
Old 07 November 2017, 22:54   #8
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Meaning i need either an a4000 with PPC or an over priced PPC Amiga to run this and have Amiga OS 4.x.

Again neither of these things will do for me as I am 100% an amiga 68k user. Is there no way you can por tthme to 68k amiga, please?
There are plenty of good guys out there turning out high-quality 68k software. There are very few doing it for WarpOS-which is the reason I started-and am failing at pretty badly. I tell you what, you convince Emufan or Arte to switch to WarpOS and I'll switch to 68k.
Old 08 November 2017, 22:56   #9
xboxown

You know...you could release WarpOS and 68k version and AROS and MorphOS and MacOS at the same time. No reason to hit one platform exclusively. In the Amiga community we need to learn to support all platforms in one shot, especially when it comes to RTG stuff.
Old 09 November 2017, 00:47   #10
emufan

I wont do ppc stuff. it is already alot confusing to juggle with 3 gcc for 68k.
differnt compiler version, so many options I have no clue about.
sometimes i consider it as pure luck, if something builds

but one thing we could share at least, some guide how things got build.

in case the source code is not included with the release. for example:
version of crosscompiler, ./configure commandlines, makefiles

this may help in some way.
Old 09 November 2017, 01:17   #11
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
I wont do ppc stuff. it is already alot confusing to juggle with 3 gcc for 68k.
differnt compiler version, so many options I have no clue about.
sometimes i consider it as pure luck, if something builds

but one thing we could share at least, some guide how things got build.

in case the source code is not included with the release. for example:
version of crosscompiler, ./configure commandlines, makefiles

this may help in some way.
Ok Xbone, then you have to convince Arte or HunoPPC then.

I agree emufan, luck (certainly not skill) is what keeps me going.

Definitely, even just yelling at a configure script for a night really slows me down, sharing makefiles I think is actually useful for me anyway.
Old 09 November 2017, 01:21   #12
xboxown

I think it is a bit more difficult than convincing someone. We have limitation in Amiga 68k community and that is SDL 1.x restriction. if we can get SDL 2.x somehow into the Amiga 68k world then that would open so many doors it is not even funny.

Ones again what was the reason we don't have SDL 2.x?
Old 09 November 2017, 01:33   #13
grelbfarlk

Quote:
I think it is a bit more difficult than convincing someone. We have limitation in Amiga 68k community and that is SDL 1.x restriction. if we can get SDL 2.x somehow into the Amiga 68k world then that would open so many doors it is not even funny.

Ones again what was the reason we don't have SDL 2.x?
I think because nobody wanted SDL 2.x. A lot of SDL programs I've looked at can fall back to SDL 1.2. Other reason-and I'm probably really wrong here is SDL2 is mostly good for OpenGL stuff which options are few and far between, unless you mean software-GL, which in that case, why did you use OpenGL anyway? Also stuff that really requires SDL2 was fairly recent which means it probably would not run fast enough on Amiga anyway-again just my guess.
Old 09 November 2017, 01:43   #14
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I think because nobody wanted SDL 2.x. A lot of SDL programs I've looked at can fall back to SDL 1.2. Other reason-and I'm probably really wrong here is SDL2 is mostly good for OpenGL stuff which options are few and far between, unless you mean software-GL, which in that case, why did you use OpenGL anyway? Also stuff that really requires SDL2 was fairly recent which means it probably would not run fast enough on Amiga anyway-again just my guess.
Ever more reason to fight against the waves of people saying not worth it, because it is backward compatible, blah. We need SDL 2 in Amiga even if the hardware have not catched up yet with those more powerful games like quake 3 or quake 4 or whatever. Eventually we will reach there and having SDL 2 ready until then is ever more essential.

But the last game engine you ported for WarpOS I see no reason why it will not work right now on vampire 2 or vampire 4 easily and what stopping from this port is the SDL 2.

So i think now having SDL 2 ported is now mandatory requirement to open huge doors for the Amiga.

i am addicted now to rtg stuff. Addicted! I need more rtg apps, more rtg games more...more...

EDIT by DH: If you would so wish to see this image click the link, but it's not really worth it. This image is simply of a stupid size that interferes with normal reading of this board and is unnecessary too.
https://image.shutterstock.com/z/sto...-684993514.jpg

Last edited by DH; 15 November 2017 at 17:04. Reason: Removed image because of stupendously ridiculous size
Old 09 November 2017, 02:10   #15
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Ever more reason to fight against the waves of people saying not worth it, because it is backward compatible, blah. We need SDL 2 in Amiga even if the hardware have not catched up yet with those more powerful games like quake 3 or quake 4 or whatever. Eventually we will reach there and having SDL 2 ready until then is ever more essential.

But the last game engine you ported for WarpOS I see no reason why it will not work right now on vampire 2 or vampire 4 easily and what stopping from this port is the SDL 2.

So i think now having SDL 2 ported is now mandatory requirement to open huge doors for the Amiga.

i am addicted now to rtg stuff. Addicted! I need more rtg apps, more rtg games more...more...
Which last game engine I ported? Exult? You know there are two other 68k ports of it already? And I didn't use SDL2. My liege and I haven't even talked about SDL2 yet, maybe someday. We sort of talked about adding GL to SDL 1.2 (as in I cried about about it saying how totes awesome it would be if we used tinygl->warp3d... somehow).

And a lot of retro folks are not really into SDL2 since it "changed everything." And without 3D accelerated hardware what good is it really-which would be really good for Voodoo3 equipped Amiga, if it worked and if it was actually fast enough to run anything.

The real wizards like Cowcat wouldn't even bother with SDL2 they'd just put on their hacker outfit, [goggles, fingerless gloves, bandana] and just use TinyGL and AHI. Most Amigans scoff at SDL generally not just v2.
Old 09 November 2017, 04:25   #16
xboxown

Something about how you talk is addicting. I don't know what it is.

I am talking about porting this one http://aminet.net/package/game/actio...dasyndrome-wos to 68k but you used SDL 2.0 to port it warpOS as an example of many!
Old 09 November 2017, 12:57   #17
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Something about how you talk is addicting. I don't know what it is.

I am talking about porting this one http://aminet.net/package/game/actio...dasyndrome-wos to 68k but you used SDL 2.0 to port it warpOS as an example of many!
No it's just SDL 1.2.6, not SDL 2. Emufan is already working on it.
Old 09 November 2017, 13:29   #18
James

Quote:
I am talking about porting this one http://aminet.net/package/game/actio...dasyndrome-wos to 68k
Is there anything wrong with the current 68k version?

http://aminet.net/package/game/actio/BS_68k

I've tested on WinUAE a bit, but not played it all the way through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
No it's just SDL 1.2.6, not SDL 2. Emufan is already working on it.
Duplication of effort can be a bit of a problem, there are a few SDL games on 68k that have been ported by at least two different authors.
I don't think Lorence Lombardo is even posting his more recent stuff on Aminet anymore, so it is easily missed, like this Pang clone:

http://geocities.ws/lorylomb/Pang_68k.lha

Or this GUI version of MikMod:

http://geocities.ws/lorylomb/mikmod326_sdl.lha
Old 09 November 2017, 13:46   #19
grelbfarlk

I admit I didn't look for a 68k version either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Is there anything wrong with the current 68k version?

http://aminet.net/package/game/actio/BS_68k

I've tested on WinUAE a bit, but not played it all the way through...

Duplication of effort can be a bit of a problem, there are a few SDL games on 68k that have been ported by at least two different authors.
I don't think Lorence Lombardo is even posting his more recent stuff on Aminet anymore, so it is easily missed, like this Pang clone:

http://geocities.ws/lorylomb/Pang_68k.lha

Or this GUI version of MikMod:

http://geocities.ws/lorylomb/mikmod326_sdl.lha
Old 09 November 2017, 13:50   #20
Aladin

Another game to porting?

Source code of ZX Spectrum & MSX2 game ‘The Sword of Ianna’ available on Github:

http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/so...ble-on-github/