English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 11 June 2006, 01:01   #1
Gilbert

Some Gamebase Discs infected with the Saddam Virus??

Hello i would first thank all who are in the gamebase amiga project its an excellent piece of software!Specially Belgarath !!
I have downloaded the Gamepacks and then scanned it for viruses first with adfscan and then the Games that were announced again with virusexecutor-and it seems that

A-Train Disk1
Bubble Bobble
Computer Third reich
Drol

are infected with the saddam virus,could you please check that on your games or is it only a error message on my computer??
Please continue the gamebase or mage project in such an excellent way like you done it till yet

Old 11 June 2006, 14:26   #2
lord_rey

I have performed a full scan on all Gamebase games.
The last version of AVG Antivirus doesn't find any virus.

Old 11 June 2006, 14:44   #3
Gilbert

AVG ANtivirus does only find Pc Viruses the saddam Virus is an Amiga System Virus !!!!!!!

Last edited by Gilbert; 11 June 2006 at 20:04.

Old 11 June 2006, 15:24   #4
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert
AVG ANtivirus does only find Pc Viruses the saddam Virus is an Amiga Type Virus !!!!!!!
lolol
Old 11 June 2006, 20:06   #5
lord_rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert
AVG ANtivirus does only find Pc Viruses the saddam Virus is an Amiga Type Virus !!!!!!!
opsss...

So, it isn't THIS SADDAM http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_1052.htm

Old 11 June 2006, 21:57   #6
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I can remember putting a virus bootblock on my floppys in the day. The no saddam virus bootblock.
Old 12 June 2006, 00:32   #7
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Hi and thanks for the report, Bubble Bobble was going to be replaced anyway, and it looks like I'll be able to replace A-Train and Computer Third Reich.

As for Drol, the only version I have of it, and possibly the only version in tosec is the virus infected one.

Now personally I wouldn't be too worried about them, after all they are being used in an emulated environment which is totally wiped clean of all virii as soon as you quit the game But the virus infected disks will be replaced in the next update (due sometime next month).

And if anyone has a good virus free copy of Drol, please upload it to the zone.
Old 13 June 2006, 22:21   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
I can remember putting a virus bootblock on my floppys in the day. The no saddam virus bootblock.
That's what I would call PLACEBO!

The Saddam virus was one of the most cleverly programmed viruses I've ever been confronted with.
Grrrr, how I hated that bastard! It was both protection-bit proof (able to overwrite an original disk validator EVEN THOUGH you had previously removed the deleteable bit from the file!) and even (warm) RESET-PROOF (!) and was a LINK virus; it resided in L:disk-validator overwriting the original DV if required. On AmigaDOS disks, it encoded blocks with a certain logical bit operation so they were only readable if the ColdCapture vector was altered ( = virus active). A vicious circle! Purging the mem and thus cleaning the vector resulted in *simulated* (!!!) read-write errors although the disk was physically OK! Hence I would not assume that a "saddam protector" in the bootblock would have stopped the virus from doing his mischief.

[edit] For the guys who are concerned about it:
virus-free version in the zone.
Now that disk was strange!
The game appeared to be copied onto an ex-Golem drive install disk (?), at least it came with lots of junk you would not need for the game.
Even ANOTHER virus (!!) was on the disk, a BGS9 virus which had moved the file "mount" to devs:. Yet I only restored the "mount" file and only modified as much as required, so the junk is still on the disk

Last edited by andreas; 15 June 2006 at 12:16.
Old 16 June 2006, 00:58   #9
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Floppy disk virus free version

Thanks, andreas. I've added a "misc" section to the GameBase Amiga download archive and added the file to that for the time being. It might or might not be included in the next release, depending on whether Belgarath finds it error free.
Old 17 June 2006, 03:49   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Thanks ... but what made you guys use the Saddam-infected version of Bubble Bobble or Computer Third Reich at all then which the user reported at the top of the thread? I confess I haven't installed this yet, so I took it you would only use ONE image for a game, not several at a time? Moreover, CTR Nemesis crack exists as both virus-free and virus-infected version ...