English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 August 2011, 20:32   #41
Photon

Thanks for very detailed facts Jens

Yes, since there's just one oscillator on-board, being able to overclock the CPU doesn't automatically mean the other circuits can take it.

I'm thinking then that those who have overclocked ACA630-25 or -30 alike and haven't degraded the memory timings, either in fact have an unstable card or have a lucky set of memory chips to violate the specs and still be stable

Perhaps it was assumed that newly manufactured was = of course they can take it, or something like that. I must admit I didn't think the memory speed limit was an issue at all in these.

So 31.25 seems possible then, for ACA630-30. Seems a bit too much effort for the return! Possibly also for a lucky few ACA630-25 that have the bigger memory chips.

Yeah, the heat seems to be no problem at all, at least for my board. It might have caused the need for re-seating, which was the problem, but it's not proven. But sometimes you need to go with conclusions from a statistic of 1 when all you have is 1...

Original intent was to underclock to lower heat, and it turns out heat was not the problem and underclocking is not really underclocking, and overclocking is not really possible... why do I feel a big sigh coming on?