English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 October 2010, 14:34   #1
amigang

Network A1200 Power Tower to a PC..advice

hi I got a slight problem i would like to get my files and some old amiga disks transferred to my PC, what is the easiest way to do it?

I read up a little on Amiga Explore that needs a Serial Null Modem Cable can a USB adaptor work and is it a special cable you need, plus how hard is the software to set up?

I would use the PCMCIA slot if i could access it but its in a power tower and cant get access to it and as I didn't build this machine I'm not that confident about getting access to it.

So any one have advice or a good place to get more info off the net on how to do this?
Old 14 October 2010, 15:28   #2
thomas

Is this a one-time job or do you prefer a permanent solution?

As a permanent solution I would suggest an USB interface like Subway, Highway, Algor or Deneb. Together with an USB-Ethernet adapter you'll get the most comfortable way to transfer files. Or you can use USB card readers or thumb drives. And you get USB to your Amiga.

Regarding Amiga Explorer, as you have a towered Amiga, you probably have a CD drive, too, so installing the Amiga component of AE is as simple as copying the AExplorer program from the CD to your hard drive.

The PC part of AE has an installer and is easy to setup, too.

AE can be configured to work over Ethernet. This is a quite easy and reliable solution. And the fastest way to transfer files.

To set up the serial cable is more problematic. As you are asking for an USB adapter, not all of these adapters work reliably.
Old 15 October 2010, 17:56   #3
amigang

thinking about it more, i might just tranfer all my disks files to the hard drive, rip that out, (its a 2.5 IDE HD) connect that up to my PC and hope Amiga Forever can read it...would that work or would windows format it? I have both XP and win7pro. this is I hope would be a one off job.
Old 15 October 2010, 18:32   #4
thomas

WinUAE will be happy to read the HDD. Windows will not format it if you don't let it (it might ask you).