English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 28 May 2010, 08:45   #1
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Happy Hi there!

After basically lurking for the last few months here, I want to introduce myself to you all finally

I have been away from the Amiga scene for around 10 years now. Around 1999 I sold my lovely Mikronik towered A1200 with Blizzard PPC/BVision and bought a (then) powerful new PC. Yes, how foolish! I saw news of the Amiga One X-1000 on some mainstream news sites and decided to see what was happening in the scene nowadays (not expecting to see much really) but was surprised to see the amount of activity still surrounding the Amiga. So I ended up gettign the bug once again and pulled out my old "spare" A1200 and CDTV from the loft and tried to see if they worked. A1200, thumbs up! CDTV thumbs Down

I'm now currently gathering lots of interesting bits and bobs for the A1200 and trying to repair the CDTV. I'm a dad of two very young kids though, so as you can imagine it's quite a slow process (not much spare time). I am enjoying my time back with the old beasts though, I was ultra surprised to see my A1200 boot up with the same 850MB hdd straight to where it was in WB 3.1 the very day I turned it off for the last time and stored it away, not a glitch!

Anyway, I've found the schematics for the CDTV online, and i'm sourcing lots of new IC sockets (I think the problems are with the pins on the sockets of some, especially the Agnus, 68000 and the Sanyo LC6554H ROM chip at the front, they look very old and slightly corroded on some). But just incase I can get some extra little hints I will say that the machine powers up and the front display comes on. I can also insert a CD and its recognised (led flashes and the cd makes sounds to suggest its recognised) but the machine simply doesnt boot at all. Black screen. I have a floppy drive attached also and that doesn't start to click at all so I don't think its the TV out card (that is usually a problem with black screen CDTV's).

Does anyone have any hints or tips for me?
Old 28 May 2010, 08:50   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi and welcome to EAB phipscube!

There is this subforum btw : http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=104 Enjoy your stay and good luck with that CDTV
Old 28 May 2010, 10:40   #3
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Oops! Sorry, thanks for moving me over
Old 28 May 2010, 15:00   #4
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Greetings d00d, and enjoy your stay.
Old 28 May 2010, 20:19   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi phipscube, and welcome to EAB!
Old 29 May 2010, 11:01   #6
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Welcome to the forum
Old 29 May 2010, 14:25   #7
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Thanks Guys Such a nice welcome!
Old 29 May 2010, 14:39   #8
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Any plans for the 1200 then?
Old 29 May 2010, 21:06   #9
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Yeah, I'm going to give it the full works if I can! I've got an old Viper 1230 RTC 28 in it at the moment but would like to get a Blizzard PPC in the next few months. Might try and get an Apollo 1240 and upgrade it to a 1260 a little before that though just for fun (Already got a Rev 6 060) and maybe use that to help fund a PPC. I'll try and get a BVision too.

I've already bought a Slim CD drive, Easy ADF, a Pico PSU, an IDE Express, a subway USB controller, a tiny USB to Ethernet adapter (to go in Subway) an USB to CF stick (to go in subway) and have a Delfina Soundcard on the way from Vesalia. I'd LOVE an Indivision AGA but those things are like gold dust at the moment! I hear that Jens at Individual Computers may have some more coming out end of the summer, though, so if I have no luck till then its nice to know there is a chance soon.

I expressed interest in DJBase's clock port expander, hope to buy one of them off him when he has his next batch finished (I'll need that to get my Delfina going). I might try and build an auto video switcher to plug between BVision and Indivision once I get them, I saw a nifty little circuit on a website somewhere. OH! I've also expressed interest in some PSX to Amiga Joypad adapters but up to now i've not heared anything from Paul Willingham just yet, I do hope he still makes them!

I'm going to TRY and cram all that in a Desktop A1200, thats gonna be a good challenge. I don't really fancy a Tower, they are so Uncool nowadays I think.

Anyway, yeah! Colour me bonkers basically!
Old 29 May 2010, 22:54   #10
amigakit.com

Welcome back!
Old 31 May 2010, 13:02   #11
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
Yeah, I'm going to give it the full works if I can! I've got an old Viper 1230 RTC 28 in it at the moment but would like to get a Blizzard PPC in the next few months. Might try and get an Apollo 1240 and upgrade it to a 1260 a little before that though just for fun (Already got a Rev 6 060) and maybe use that to help fund a PPC. I'll try and get a BVision too.

I've already bought a Slim CD drive, Easy ADF, a Pico PSU, an IDE Express, a subway USB controller, a tiny USB to Ethernet adapter (to go in Subway) an USB to CF stick (to go in subway) and have a Delfina Soundcard on the way from Vesalia. I'd LOVE an Indivision AGA but those things are like gold dust at the moment! I hear that Jens at Individual Computers may have some more coming out end of the summer, though, so if I have no luck till then its nice to know there is a chance soon.

I expressed interest in DJBase's clock port expander, hope to buy one of them off him when he has his next batch finished (I'll need that to get my Delfina going). I might try and build an auto video switcher to plug between BVision and Indivision once I get them, I saw a nifty little circuit on a website somewhere. OH! I've also expressed interest in some PSX to Amiga Joypad adapters but up to now i've not heared anything from Paul Willingham just yet, I do hope he still makes them!

I'm going to TRY and cram all that in a Desktop A1200, thats gonna be a good challenge. I don't really fancy a Tower, they are so Uncool nowadays I think.

Anyway, yeah! Colour me bonkers basically!
Some great plans there, some i'm keen on doing keep us posted

Last edited by ck1200; 31 May 2010 at 13:14. Reason: spelling :/
Old 31 May 2010, 14:15   #12
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Yeah, I'll keep you up to date with the things i'm doing with my mad project ... actually, I just bought a BVision but its a DCE version, Its on its way from Germany at the moment. Anything better/Worse than the Phase 5 version? I have heared of bad soldering issues on some on the VRAM chips but was hoping that generally they are ok and its not a common problem, and maybe the DCE version is a bit more tolerant to heat and over clocked BPPC cards (assuming they are using newer parts and such than the older phase 5 ones)......
Old 31 May 2010, 14:19   #13
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Also, Paul is going to make me 2 PSX adapters well happy with that. What are your plans for your amiga ck1200?
Old 01 June 2010, 17:37   #14
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Sounds great, my side i've already done some stuff as per my sig (new 3.1 roms, internal floppy, 6gb 2.5 ide with worbench adv on) there are allot of games apps and some music on there, but i really want to get it on a lcd screen maybe 17 inch and also get a 030 in there apart from that it's a very clean 1200 so will probably start on a 600 project after that

I have had one other idea on the 1200 but am not really sure on it as yet :/
Old 01 June 2010, 21:50   #15
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I would like to get a second A1200 at some point to run a cleaner system too, Maybe for WHD load games (that one can have my Viper once I get a BPPC). My 4 year old son seems to be getting the Amiga bug too, he saw a pic of the A600 and said "thats the little boy version! I'd like that one!" hehe. Once I fix my CDTV i'm going to let him use it with some of the Edutainment titles you can get and MAYBE he can pull my arm into getting an A600

The Indivision AGA scan doubler would be perfect for your LCD screen if you can find one What is your other idea? and why aren't you sure?
Old 01 June 2010, 22:05   #16
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

lol little boy version i like that and good you have passed him the ami bug early, it does have the big advantage of being smaller and dont think i'd suffer without having a num pad :/ ...and yes i would really like an indivision scan doubler but that would be back of the que for me as im very happy with the workbench and games display through rgb but really want it set up with 030 card and at least 16mb of ram (pref 32)

i am also going to do a 600 build i think but my other idea is her wanted to give the 1200 a more modern look and will match my other electrical stuff better lol only an idea at min

>http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53123

but as per thread the amiga's in question i seen where top notch quality wise and done by the seller to my knowledge !!

Chris
Old 01 June 2010, 22:25   #17
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I think a nice little A600 with a few floppies for him to start with might be good, he's fasicnated with the disks too. I bought a pile of old ones off ebay a few weeks ago, and on the way home from the post office he wanted to hold at least 2 at a time in his hands all the way home. funny kid

Good luck with the accelerator, I think you know this, but the Blizzard 1230 IV is probably your best bet, lots on ebay! Just a bit pricey.... My accelerator is a bit of an arse, it aclashes with PCMCIA (I have 8MB but can only use 4MB at the mo as I use Easy ADF).

Replied to you in your thread about your other idea
Old 01 June 2010, 22:35   #18
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Yeah kind of the one im looking for but they are a bit pricey the one on amikit with 16mb looks good there was a 32mb but not avail now

I'm thinking i'd like 32mb in there in the end and cool will check out the other thread now
Old 02 June 2010, 02:34   #19
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
I think a nice little A600 with a few floppies for him to start with might be good, he's fasicnated with the disks too. I bought a pile of old ones off ebay a few weeks ago, and on the way home from the post office he wanted to hold at least 2 at a time in his hands all the way home. funny kid

Good luck with the accelerator, I think you know this, but the Blizzard 1230 IV is probably your best bet, lots on ebay! Just a bit pricey.... My accelerator is a bit of an arse, it aclashes with PCMCIA (I have 8MB but can only use 4MB at the mo as I use Easy ADF).

Replied to you in your thread about your other idea
kids are funny, my daughter (11yrs) from playing Lotus 2 on my real A1200 and then moved to the Xbox360 to play Red Dead Redemption

both she plays ok... it makes me proud

now to get her master halo or cod, then she can join me and kick ass!
Old 02 June 2010, 09:54   #20
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

ck1200, yeah the one on Amigakit is ok too, 16MB might be enough depending on how much your going to do with it. Any particular reason you want 32MB?

Djay, hee hee, yeah I can relate to that Ziggy (my son) loves playing Motorstorm on PS3, just because of the tilt control, he likes to make the vehicles sway left right left right etc all the way to the end, he's not bad for a 4 year old, manages to finish a race in last place and it takes him a good while, haha! poor kid!

I've got a home made arcade table cabinet at home too and he loves playing pacman and other oldies but goodies on that!