English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 March 2015, 14:27   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Ultima IV Remastered now available for the C64

Quote:
Another big hitter in the retro scene for C64 owners is today's release of Ultima IV Remastered for the C64. Originally released way back in the late 80's for the Apple II and ported over to the C64, is arguably one of the best RPG's ever released for the Commodore.
http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...lable-for.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	43781   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	43782  
Old 29 March 2015, 14:40   #2
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Ah, that's awesome! Makes me wanna buy a c64 too! Ultima series has been always the ultimate rpg experience for me.
Old 29 March 2015, 15:14   #3
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

I didn't get into Ultima until much much later, DOS era
Old 30 March 2015, 12:45   #4
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Damn, that looks wicked!

My first Ultima was VI on IBM PC. I remember buying it when I still had an Amiga, hoping that it would somehow run It was a real surprise to run it one/two years later and find out what an awesome game it was!

I never played the first five games, so two years ago I started an Ultima "marathon". I stopped at the beginning of Ultima IV, so I need to pick it up again and this comes as a most pleasant surprise
Old 30 March 2015, 19:59   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
I didn't get into Ultima until much much later, DOS era
My first one was Ultima 8. Thank god in that time period all RPGs were awesome to me so it didn't dissuade me from trying Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld too.
Old 30 March 2015, 21:32   #6
Leffmann

It actually looks better than the Amiga version, which is surprisingly dull looking.
Old 31 March 2015, 10:24   #7
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
My first one was Ultima 8. Thank god in that time period all RPGs were awesome to me so it didn't dissuade me from trying Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld too.
You were lucky, you could've started with Ultima IX and you'd have hated the Ultima series forever
Old 31 March 2015, 11:23   #8
Obliterator

Woohoo now were my Zoomfloppy and blank disks
Old 31 March 2015, 17:00   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
You were lucky, you could've started with Ultima IX and you'd have hated the Ultima series forever
You want to say it is worse than the patience-testing-simulator known as Ultima 8?

I couldn't play 9 ever because it was in the dark days of early hardware acceleration (Voodoo, Voodoo 2) and I simply didn't have the money for it. I remember reading it was quite buggy.
Old 31 March 2015, 17:17   #10
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
You want to say it is worse than the patience-testing-simulator known as Ultima 8?

I couldn't play 9 ever because it was in the dark days of early hardware acceleration (Voodoo, Voodoo 2) and I simply didn't have the money for it. I remember reading it was quite buggy.
Funnily enough I still haven't ever touched Ultima VIII at all, but it's part of my "Ultima Marathon" so I'll reach it eventually.

I remember playing the U9 demo back in 1999/2000 both with my Voodoo Banshee (loved that card) and Trio V64+ (software acceleration). It was a buggy piece of crap in both modes

And yes, as if the bugs weren't enough, even the rest of the game is total crap! If you're an Ultima fan and want to have a good laugh:

[ Show youtube player ]
(you can find the other parts around - YouTube removed part 2, iirc)
Old 31 March 2015, 17:40   #11
Jgames

Ultima 9 is one of the best games ever made, beautiful graphics, awesome music, nice long story.
Old 31 March 2015, 21:47   #12
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

I will agree with Jgames about Ultima IX: it was a great game despite the fact that it was buggy and demanding.
Old 31 March 2015, 22:32   #13
McTrinsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgames View Post
Ultima 9 is one of the best games ever made, beautiful graphics, awesome music, nice long story.
You smoking something?? I want something of that, too!

Or did I miss the gigantic "sarcasm" sign??

:boggle:

Cheers,
McT
Old 01 April 2015, 02:18   #14
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11001891_10152666729565981_8561242862893285237_n.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	43823  
Old 01 April 2015, 02:24   #15
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

The story along with the 'incompatible' graphical elements and many silly events that EA chose at that time were definitely sad for someone who followed the series 'faithfully'. However, it was still an ultima game that I really enjoyed playing back then. So I imagine that for an ultima newcomer it would have been much more appealing.
Old 01 April 2015, 10:47   #16
Jgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
You smoking something?? I want something of that, too!

Or did I miss the gigantic "sarcasm" sign??

:boggle:

Cheers,
McT
beautiful graphics: It had the best graphics of his day, that are still great today.
awesome music: it did.
nice long story: Epic story.

I can add: great controls, great 3d immersion.

It's only bashed on by ultima fanatics who concentrate on the story, are pedantic on details not even ultima creators thought about.
Old 01 April 2015, 10:54   #17
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

If you guys want to understand why we said that about U9, just watch the video I linked earlier - that's what most of us fans thought when I played it (yes, I sourced the full U9 later on, but I've lost the install disk)

It's just that the Ultima series gave us fans an HIGH standard of quality, and U9 wasn't up to par with that standard. It wasn't the worst game ever, that's for sure, but sure it did crash every five minutes or so!

By the way, hasn't Ultima always been entirely about the story?

Quote:
<insert U4 remaster screenshot here>
Now that's amazing!
Old 01 April 2015, 11:33   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
What is it about those graphics of yesteryear that makes them look just so much more... appealing? warm? familiar? ... than the flashy super realistic graphics of today.

Its quite odd. Take an indie game with pixelated retro graphics that applies some form of a scanline simulation and the graphics instantly give me a sense of joy and familiarity, while without the scanlines the graphics look cold and "wrong".
Old 01 April 2015, 15:34   #19
Galder
Amiga is my Goddess

Quote:
What is it about those graphics of yesteryear that makes them look just so much more... appealing? warm? familiar? ... than the flashy super realistic graphics of today.

Its quite odd. Take an indie game with pixelated retro graphics that applies some form of a scanline simulation and the graphics instantly give me a sense of joy and familiarity, while without the scanlines the graphics look cold and "wrong".
That's because we are people of yesteryear We grew up with those graphics and whenever we see them they yell "VIDEO GAME". What I see nowadays in those ps4's and xbox's is just good-looking interactive movies...
Old 02 April 2015, 16:32   #20
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah I guess All the way up to the way older hardware produced graphics and sound.

I wonder if it would work the same for movies. Like if you see a movie like "IT" on a modern TV, you can almost taste the plastic of the clown. But if you would see it today on an old TV with a VCR, would it be "better"?

I think yes.