0x018a, 0x0050,
	0x018c, 0x0060,
	0x018e, 0x0070,
	0xffff, 0xfffe
};
But when i try to "start" it
Code:
*((ULONG *)0xdff080) = (ULONG)(&copperlist);
the machine crashes with a black screen and does not responds to anything - aside from reset. I believe the list itself is fine, but i am not sure about the "start" part; do i need to do anything more than write the address of the list to 0xdff080? Or i just write it the wrong way? I see in the manual, that it's splitted into 5+15 bits, but if i do that way
Code:
*((UWORD *)0xdff080) = ((ULONG)(&copperlist)) >> 15;
*((UWORD *)0xdff082) = ((ULONG)(&copperlist)) & 0x7fff;
it yields the same result.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 18 February 2021, 23:29   #2
roondar

The first question would be whether or not the OS is still running at this point. If it's up, changing the Copperlist pointer will probably not work (though it normally doesn't crash the system). The second question is whether or not the Copperlist is actually situated in Chip RAM or not as I can't tell from the source code you've provided. The third one is whether or not you're showing GFX that actually use colours 4-7.

The last question I'd have right now is how you're updating the bitplane pointers. With the CPU? These need to be updated every frame and your Copperlist doesn't seem to do this.
Old 18 February 2021, 23:38   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

it probably doesn't crash, but display is completely broken so you can't do anything besides rebooting
Old 18 February 2021, 23:48   #4
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
The first question would be whether or not the OS is still running at this point. If it's up, changing the Copperlist pointer will probably not work (though it normally doesn't crash the system).
It is running, i can pull the screen down, if i don't "start" the Copperlist. I have to close the WB to use the Copper on a separate screen?
Quote:
The second question is whether or not the Copperlist is actually situated in Chip RAM or not as I can't tell from the source code you've provided.
It is, there is no FastRAM in the machine.
Quote:
The third one is whether or not you're showing GFX that actually use colours 4-7.
Yes i am, if the list has not been "started" then the GFX is perfectly visible.
Quote:
The last question I'd have right now is how you're updating the bitplane pointers. With the CPU? These need to be updated every frame and your Copperlist doesn't seem to do this.
You mean, i have to update them, if i use the Copper? Because if don't use the list, everything else is works. I simply opened a screen with
OpenScreen()
and wrote the data to
screen->RastPort.BitMap->Planes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
it probably doesn't crash, but display is completely broken so you can't do anything besides rebooting
You mean, it killed the sprites and the WB screen too?

Last edited by TCH; 18 February 2021 at 23:50. Reason: posted above me
Old 19 February 2021, 00:01   #5
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH View Post
It is running, i can pull the screen down, if i don't "start" the Copperlist. I have to close the WB to use the Copper on a separate screen?
If the OS is running, you may need to use the OS's Copper functions. I'm not entirely sure what happens if you have just a single screen showing, but it could be that the OS still wants to use the Copper for itself. Overall, mixing the OS and your own hardware accessing is not a good idea. I'd suggest either using the OS for the hardware or do it all yourself.
Quote:
It is, there is no FastRAM in the machine.
Yes i am, if the list has not been "started" then the GFX is perfectly visible.
Ok, we can disregard those potential issues
Quote:
You mean, i have to update them, if i use the Copper? Because if don't use the list, everything else is works. I simply opened a screen with
OpenScreen()
and wrote the data to
screen->RastPort.BitMap->Planes
You mean, it killed the sprites and the WB screen too?
Yes, if you directly access the hardware, you become responsible for doing things like updating the bitplane pointers. There's a high likelihood that the OS uses a Copperlist to update the bitplane pointers normally, so when you overwrite the OS Copperlist with your own Copperlist the pointers no longer get updated and that causes issues.

It occurs to me that the black screen may also be caused by other display registers not being set up correctly when you use your own Copperlist. I'd guess the OS doesn't reset stuff like the BPLCON registers, but I can't be sure. Again, mixing the OS and directly accessing the hardware is a pretty good cause for issues and problems.
Old 19 February 2021, 00:07   #6
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

I had no idea that i can do Copperlists in a system-friendly way, thanks for pointing out. I have to check out how to do that. Back to the manuals...
Old 19 February 2021, 08:29   #7
redblade
Zone Friend

http://aminet.net/search?query=rkmcompanionIs an official demo by Commodore for Kick 1.3 how to create a custom copper list in C.

There is also one for OS 2 in the later RKM companions that are also on aminet.

If you look for Fred Fish disk 58 there is a Marauder II (Copy program) style example copper list program called Rainbow with source by John Hodges.

Hope that helps
Old 19 February 2021, 09:34   #8
DMWCashy

Drop your reference, copperlist is already a pointer. So you are writing a pointer to your pointer into the custom chip
Old 19 February 2021, 11:26   #9
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

@redblade:
Thanks for the tip, i found it in
uCopperExample.c

@DMWCashy:
Damn, you are right. What an amateur mistake. To my excuse, it was late night. Thanks for pointing out. (Of course still crashes, because what roondar said, but nevertheless, it was an unnecessary referencing.)
Old 19 February 2021, 13:36   #10
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Okay, i've managed to complete the program. It displays all the 4096 colours on the screen.

The image in PNG:

In WinUAE:

On my A500+ (without flash):

On my A500+ (with flash):
Old 19 February 2021, 13:50   #11
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

In
uCopperExample.c
there is the part where the Copperlist is generated:
Code:
#define NUMCOLORS      32

CINIT(uCopList, NUMCOLORS);   /* Initialize the Copper list buffer. */
for (i=0; i<NUMCOLORS; i++)    /* Load in each color. */
    { 
    CWAIT(uCopList, (i*NUMLINES_EACH), 0);
    CMOVE(uCopList, custom.color[0], colors[i]);
    }
CEND(uCopList);    /* End the Copper list */
Now, the manual for
CINIT()
says, that
Code:
cl = CINIT( ucl , n )

n - number of instructions buffer must be able to hold
Which means i have to allocate as much number of entries as much Copper instructions i have, but in
uCopperExample.c
the allocation only allocate 32 entries (
NUMCOLORS
, the number of colour changes), while it will have 64 instructions (one
WAIT
and one
MOVE
instruction per colour change), plus the terminating command, so it should be 65, right? Is it a bug in the example program and it was just sheer luck that it did not crashed after putting 65 instructions into a 32 instruction sized buffer, or did i interpreted the manual wrongly?
Old 19 February 2021, 14:06   #12
roondar

TBH, that feels like pure luck to me. Amiga OS does not have memory protection, so if your code writes outside of it's allocated bounds no errors are thrown. Well, unless you happen to overwrite something critical. Then the system tends to just crash
Old 19 February 2021, 14:20   #13
DMWCashy

Quote:
@redblade:
Thanks for the tip, i found it in
uCopperExample.c

@DMWCashy:
Damn, you are right. What an amateur mistake. To my excuse, it was late night. Thanks for pointing out. (Of course still crashes, because what roondar said, but nevertheless, it was an unnecessary referencing.)
99% of C errors are usually a single character lol

Any C/C++ coder that says they do not make such errors are just liars, when you are hammering away it is easy to do this, C is so versatile that it makes compile time validation weak.

Last edited by DMWCashy; 19 February 2021 at 14:31.
Old 19 February 2021, 14:55   #14
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Quote:
TBH, that feels like pure luck to me. Amiga OS does not have memory protection, so if your code writes outside of it's allocated bounds no errors are thrown. Well, unless you happen to overwrite something critical. Then the system tends to just crash
I know there is no memory protection that's why i suspected that it was merely luck. So, it's a bug in
uCopperExample.c

BTW, the program works on KickStart 2.0+ and AGA machines too. Do creating a Copperlist in a system-friendly way has different mechanisms above KS2.0?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWCashy View Post
99% of C errors are usually a single character lol

Any C/C++ coder that says they do not make such errors are just liars, when you are hammering away it is easy to do this, C is so versatile that it makes compile time validation weak.
Ain't the truth... But that comes from it's flexibility, so it's something for something. Any powerful tool can be dangerous. Sometimes even in adept hands.
Old 19 February 2021, 15:57   #15
pink^abyss

Depending on compiler and optimizer options your code may still break, as your hardware register writes are not declared as volatile:
*((UWORD *)0xdff080) -> *((volatile UWORD *)0xdff080)
Old 19 February 2021, 16:52   #16
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

That is good to know, thank you.
Old 19 February 2021, 20:19   #17
Thomas Richter

Quote:
n - number of instructions buffer must be able to hold[/CODE]Which means i have to allocate as much number of entries as much Copper instructions i have, but in
uCopperExample.c
the allocation only allocate 32 entries (
NUMCOLORS
, the number of colour changes), while it will have 64 instructions (one
WAIT
and one
MOVE
instruction per colour change), plus the terminating command, so it should be 65, right? Is it a bug in the example program and it was just sheer luck that it did not crashed after putting 65 instructions into a 32 instruction sized buffer, or did i interpreted the manual wrongly?
In this particular example, it is not "pure luck". The graphics user copper lists use a self-extending data structure, so whenever more copper instructions are needed, graphics extends the structure as necessary. Would be hard otherwise as otherwise the number of screens the Os is able to display on one monitor would be limited, or it would be hard to pre-compute the number of copper instructions for it.
Old 19 February 2021, 20:48   #18
TCH
Newbie Amiga programmer

Then why does it need to be initialized with the theoretical number of Copper instructions?
Old 19 February 2021, 23:13   #19
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Then why does it need to be initialized with the theoretical number of Copper instructions?
Probably to calculate how much CHIPMEM it needs to allocate and if it fails to return the error. It could have saved the programmers bytes in the 256K rom.

Also the later RKM examples for OS 2+ modify the UCopperList to open up on a custom screen, code is 90% identical tho.

Glad the battery didn't destroy your 500+
Old 20 February 2021, 01:22   #20
roondar

Huh, I didn't even realize the graphics library Copper structure worked like that. That's actually quite nice. There's lots of nice things like that in the OS. Not bad for a system from 30 years ago