English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 February 2018, 11:37   #1
wanderer5

Save State wish

It would be nice if "Save State" and "Load State" actions also saved the contents of Disk Swapper section.

It would also be great if Disk Swapper could have a keyboard shortcut (like F12 for options) so one could quickly swap disks - or - LeftClick on a drive section in the status bar, currently opens "Select floppy image file" dialog. Perhaps rightclicking on it could open Disk Swapper and if the disk currently in that drive exists in the swapper screen, it could select it...
Old 24 February 2018, 16:45   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Whole config file is stored with statefile (in compressed format) so technically swapper can be restored but I am not sure if it is good idea, it may open flood gates and soon everyone wants very different parts of host-only config to be restored..

Disk swapper has keyboard shortcuts, I am too lazy to find the thread
Old 24 February 2018, 17:27   #3
DamienD
Banned

Might as well use one of my existing post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...there are probably others I've forgotten ATM but these are the most important ones

Code:
=====================================================================
KEY                                  FUNCTION
<F12>                                Bring up GUI
<CTRL> + <F12>                       Toggle Fullscreen / Windowed
<CTRL> + <F11>                       Quit WinUAE
<LEFT CTRL> + <WINDOWS> + <MENU>     Reset Amiga
<LEFT CTRL> + <INSERT> + <HOME>      *same as above*
<END> + <PAUSE>                      Toggle Warp Mode
<PAGE DOWN>                          Amiga <Help> Key

Changing Disks:
<END> + <F1>    Insert disk into DF0
<END> + <F2>    Insert disk into DF1
<END> + <F3>    Insert disk into DF2
<END> + <F4>    Insert disk into DF3

Disk Swapper:
<END> + <1-0>               Insert disk from swapper slot 1-10
<END> + <SHIFT> + <1-0>     Insert disk from swapper slot 11-20
<END> + <CTRL> + <1-4>      Select drive
Old 25 February 2018, 21:00   #4
wanderer5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Whole config file is stored with statefile (in compressed format) so technically swapper can be restored but I am not sure if it is good idea, it may open flood gates and soon everyone wants very different parts of host-only config to be restored..
Yup, i see what you mean.

In that case, how about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer5 View Post
LeftClick on a drive section in the status bar, currently opens "Select floppy image file" dialog. Perhaps rightclicking on it could open Disk Swapper
Seems easy to implement (you would know better of course).

Also, how about adding a "Load/Save to file" set of buttons in the swapper screen?
Old 25 February 2018, 21:27   #5
wanderer5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Might as well use one of my existing post here:
Hi.

I tried END+1 / END+2 (both normal number and from numeric keypad) but it doesn't seem to work. END+F1 though works as advertised...

EDIT: WU seems to respond to END+2 but instead of inserting the disk that exists in the 2nd slot of disk swapper, it just removes the disk from DF0: and that's all.
Old 25 February 2018, 21:34   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hi.

I tried END+1 / END+2 (both normal number and from numeric keypad) but it doesn't seem to work.
Been using this for years and it works a treat here; normal numbers though, not numeric

Quote:
EDIT: WU seems to respond to END+2 but instead of inserting the disk that exists in the 2nd slot of disk swapper, it just removes the disk from DF0: and that's all.
It shouldn't do that. If you only press END+2 it will put "disk 2" into DF0:

You got logs for Toni?
Old 25 February 2018, 21:47   #7
wanderer5

Nope. Here it works as i described. In addition to that, END+0 seems to reload the last loaded savestate. I'm guessing something changed?

Using WU3.6.0 (x32/x64 work the same).
Old 25 February 2018, 22:05   #8
wanderer5

And... i found the reason. My default.uae has no disks saved in the disk swapper. Everything is blank. So, i load the game i want and then go to disk swapper and manually add the two disks i wish (at runtime). This does not work!

If i start WU, load the disks in disk swapper, save the configuration and then load the game and try this, it works fine!

It seems at runtime, END+# keystrokes in WU do not use the currently loaded items in disk swapper but the ones saved in the configuration file?
Old 26 February 2018, 07:19   #9
Foebane
Banned

My brief experience of savestates is that they don't save the Host configuration: for example, Display settings. I find I have to load the configuration I used when saving the state, beforehand.
Old 27 February 2018, 09:30   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
My brief experience of savestates is that they don't save the Host configuration: for example, Display settings. I find I have to load the configuration I used when saving the state, beforehand.
Which is by design. Only options that are required to load the save (same hardware) are forced, the rest is and must be user's choice.
Old 27 February 2018, 14:25   #11
wanderer5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Well, i got that and i'm ok (more or less), but what i'm describing here i consider it to be a bug.

Quote:
i load the game i want and then go to disk swapper and manually add the two disks i wish (at runtime). This does not work!
More clearly: i load the savestate (which contains no disks in the disk swapper) and then i go and manually add disks to the disk swapper. Now, if i press END+2, i would expect it to load the 2nd disk that currently exists in the diskswapper. It does not! This is a bug. My guess is that WU tries to load the disks that are saved in the diskswapper from the configuration file instead of loading what the diskswapper currently has in memory.
Old 27 March 2018, 23:51   #12
wanderer5

Quote:
Well, i got that and i'm ok (more or less), but what i'm describing here i consider it to be a bug.

More clearly: i load the savestate (which contains no disks in the disk swapper) and then i go and manually add disks to the disk swapper. Now, if i press END+2, i would expect it to load the 2nd disk that currently exists in the diskswapper. It does not! This is a bug. My guess is that WU tries to load the disks that are saved in the diskswapper from the configuration file instead of loading what the diskswapper currently has in memory.
Any comments on that? Is it considered an issue or not?
Old 28 March 2018, 18:32   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is not issue but it makes sense to restore disk swapper data from statefile because it is statefile specific (usually), not some global user setting.

Will be in next version.
Old 28 March 2018, 19:28   #14
wanderer5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is not issue but it makes sense to restore disk swapper data from statefile because it is statefile specific (usually), not some global user setting.

Will be in next version.
What you are describing is what is done after loading a statefile. I agree it would make more sense to have the swapper data loaded from the statefile and it would be nice to have it, however in my latest post i was referring to something else. I'll describe a step-by-step procedure for it, to be more clear.

1. Rename default.uae to default1.uae (so it starts-up with a default config).
2. Normally load WinUAE.
3. Go to floppy-drives and insert a disk to DF0: (let's name it DISK1).
4. Go to diskswapper screen and set a different disk at position 1 (let's name it DISK2).
5. Press OK and let the disk boot normally.
6. After it has booted, press END+1.

Now, the expected behavior would be for WinUAE to load DISK2 to DF0:. Instead, it loads nothing (it actually removes DISK1 from the drive). Now, if you save default.uae (so DISK2 which exists in pos #1 of disk swapper screen is stored in default.uae), END+1 works properly and actually loads DISK2 in DF0: !

This proves that pressing END+1 does not try to load the disk that has been currently set in the diskswapper screen but it actually tries to load whatever disk is stored in default.uae. That's what i consider a bug. IMO, it should load the new disk the user has set in the diskswapper screen.
Old 28 March 2018, 19:35   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Works for me. (and next time mention it very clearly if it has nothing to do with original topic)
Old 28 March 2018, 19:39   #16
wanderer5

Yes, perhaps i should have started another topic.

What do you mean "works for me"? Is the behavior i'm describing considered normal or in your case, it does not happen as i describe it?
Old 28 March 2018, 19:47   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

When I press END+1, current disk gets ejected, delay, disk swapper slot #1 gets inserted.
Old 28 March 2018, 20:13   #18
wanderer5

I don't get it. Up until an hour ago, i experienced what i'm describing. Now, everything works fine.

I'll try to trace my steps back and find out what might have caused this. For the time being and since i have no idea what's going on, many thanks for your time and let's leave it at that.