English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 July 2009, 16:22   #1
Dave_wb

I think I hate IDEfix97

Hi all
I have had to reinstall Classic Workbench on my Amiga 1200.I have the above software so that I can use a Zip Drive and a CDRom Drive.The zip is ticketyboo but I cant read anything on my Asus CD Drive.It was working fine before the reinstallation but now I am stuck.Using IDEfix prefs I can recognise my drive and even eject using the software but thats all.My startup-sequence looks fine but why does'nt it work?.My CD0 TOOL TYPES IS AS FOLLOWS....calm down Dave...get a grip...My CD tooltypes is as follows
Activate=1
device=atapi.device
unit=2
It's no good, I am going to have a wobbler...AAARGGHHH!!!! and all that and everything.I await the heavenly mana from the web and thank you profusely in advance
Old 14 July 2009, 17:14   #2
thomas

Is atapi.device present in devs: ?
Is CD0 in Devs:DosDrivers ?
Does startup-sequence contain something like Mount Devs:DosDrivers/#? ?
Is the CD drive connected as slave to the secondary port of the IDE splitter ?

primary master = unit 0
primary slave = unit 1
secondary master = unit 2
secondary slave = unit 3

Why did you change the tooltypes manually ? Didn't you install IDEfix software yourself ? The IDEfix installer does not change tooltypes. It writes the parameters into the CD0 file itself (it's a text file, it can be viewed and edited).

What happens if you enter cd cd0: in a shell window ?

Did you run CDFSPrefs ? Does CD0 show up in CDFSPrefs ? Does CDFSPrefs complain about wrong settings ? Does it work if you correct the wrong settings ? Does it work if you change the "use disk change interrupt" setting ?

Please post the contents of the CD0 file. Does it say Filesystem=L:CacheCDFS or Filesystem=L:CDRomfilesystem ?
If it contains the latter, then reinstall IDEfix. Make sure that the proper CD0 file from IDEfix is used and not the bad one from Commodore.
Old 14 July 2009, 17:37   #3
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_wb View Post
Hi all
I have had to reinstall Classic Workbench on my Amiga 1200.

Did you format the drive? Idefix needs to be re-registered if you did, it notices a reformat and just copying the files back will not suffice for it to behave like a registered version.
Old 15 July 2009, 21:38   #4
Dave_wb

I think I hate IDEfix97

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the reply and I hope this comments on your suggestions as accurately as possible....here goes
Is atapi.device present in Devs: yes ad_atapi.device

Is CDO in Devs: Dosdrivers yes

Does startup sequence contain something like Mount Devsosdrivers/#?? yes
yes C:Mount >NIL DEVSDosdrivers/~()(#.info)

Device is on secondary master Unit=2

I am afraid you have lost me with the tooltypes question

Enter CD CD0 in shell and I get No disk present in device cd0

CDFS Prefs The entire specs are greyed out

The Cd0 file is as follows
TOOL TYPES
ACTIVATE=1
DEVICE=atapi.device

Informationen
C:Mount

Protection bits
readable
writable
executable
deleteable

I do hopt this makes sense for you to anylise - having to use a Pc instead of my miggy aint fun.all my thanks in advance
Dave,rapidly balding but hanging in there....I hope
UNIT=2
Old 15 July 2009, 21:46   #5
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_wb View Post
DEVICE=atapi.device
should be the same that's in Devs: Dosdrivers
meaning ad_atapi.device - or why it isn't plain atapi.device?
Old 16 July 2009, 10:35   #6
thomas

Quote:
Is atapi.device present in Devs: yes ad_atapi.device
Computer science is very strict, you know. So if I ask for atapi.device, then ad_atapi.device is not the right file. The name after DEVICE= of the CD0 file must exactly match a file name in Devs. If it cannot find the file, it does not mount.

Quote:
Enter CD CD0 in shell and I get No disk present in device cd0
*Is* there a disk in the drive ? If not, I would say it works as it should. An icon on the desktop only appears if there is a disk in the drive.

Quote:
CDFS Prefs The entire specs are greyed out
Is CD0 in the list on the left or is the list empty ? If the list is empty, you don't use CD0 from IDEfix.

Quote:
The Cd0 file is as follows
TOOL TYPES
Please stop looking into tooltypes. Run Sys:Utilities/Multiview, navigate it to Devs:DosDrivers and open the file CD0. It's a text file after all and the important information to look like is the name after FILESYSTEM=. It should say L:CacheCDFS.

Last edited by thomas; 16 July 2009 at 10:47.
Old 16 July 2009, 10:46   #7
thomas

Quote:
Hi Thomas,
I have tried to reinstall idefix but I get this error message

Sorry...an error has occured!

COPYFILES:Problem with source file/drawer "CacheCDFInst:C/Uninstall in line 90.

DOS error type: Unable to locate a file or drawer.

I hope this helps with my hardware prob.Thanks again for having a look
Dave (even balder)

Did you newly download IDEfix or did you use an existing installation directory ? Seems like some files are missing from the installation directory.

Please download http://aminet.net/disk/misc/IDEfix97.lha and transfer it unchanged to the Amiga. Copy it to Ram Disk, then open a Shell window and enter the commands

cd ram:
lha x idefix97

Close the shell window, close the Ram Disk window if it is still open and open it again. There should now be a new directory named IDE-fix containing several icons, one being InstallSoftware. Use this to install IDEfix again.

When asked for your skill, do *not* choose novice. Never select novice when installing something. Always select advanced user or expert.
Old 17 July 2009, 12:40   #8
Dave_wb

I think I hate IDEfix97

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your reply - I am really grateful for the help.Unfortunately the damn thing still is'nt up and running.I am therefor going to nuke the disk and start again from scratch.It might sound excessive but I wont be reformating- just deleting the Bloodwych software and then using "the real Amiga installation disk" to extract the system zip which will be the only software still on DH0:.I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I know I'm not blunt either.I will keep you posted as to how I'm doing, and hopefully might give you a laugh or two.Thanks again Thomas

Dave - definitely suffering acute hair loss.It's amazing what you can do with a pair of scissors!
Old 17 July 2009, 13:09   #9
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi Dave_wb,
In addition thomas' always excellent & spot-on advice a couple of thoughts.

I bought a Liteon slot-loader for my A1200 that I had real trouble getting to work with my IDEFix-Express. (much the same software I believe)
So what was wrong?
Well, the main one was it wasn't the unit-number I thought it was - duh! My install disc has a util called find-device (or some such) which gave me the info I needed to get it working.

The other I'm not so sure about but in the process of fiddling...
...many CD drives are 'hard-wired' to be slave, my Liteon was. So what if you plug such a drive into the secondary port of the controller without a master as I did? Maybe it won't work. I found some software to reset the drive's BIOS as master. (among other things)
Old 17 July 2009, 19:10   #10
Dave_wb

I think I hate IDEfix97

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the heads up - I will give it a go.The CDRom was working fine with the setup I had before the nuke but who knows,maybe I was just being lucky and not realising it.I could not keep the Groovy Player out on the workbench and pissed about with the project,tool,trashcan etc to try and keep it out.No dice,followed by no CDRom........
Thanks again for your input, I will keep you posted