English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 22 November 2008, 12:45   #21
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

There is an hardware mod that I've seen mentioned lately for forcing an NTSC A1200 turn into a PAL A1200. It seems to involve the removal of a 0ohm "resistor" and bridging of something else (a chip leg joined to something?).

Anyone know if it is possible to do this with a CD32?

PZ.
Old 15 March 2009, 22:19   #22
Silencer
ed2k Releaser

Send a message via MSN to Silencer
what are the downsides of china NTSC CD32's on ebay ??? two-button pal mode can work fine or buying cd32 pal is the better solution?
Old 16 March 2009, 01:23   #23
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Some coverdisc compilations don't work, although I'm not sure why.

Aside from that the NTSC machines are great...the caps are even soldered on the right way around

PZ.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:27   #24
Silencer
ed2k Releaser

also i think ntsc machines lenses are better than PAL's...
cause they are production left overs i think
Old 16 March 2009, 02:26   #25
Cammy

I'm not sure if it would output the PAL signal in black & white or if it would work fine, provided you have a PAL TV, hopefully someone here can clear this up for you. But I do know that if you bought an Indivision CD32 from AmigaKit you could use your CD32 on an LCD TV or VGA monitor and play every single game with no problems. You could also use high resolution modes with no flickering!
Old 16 March 2009, 02:35   #26
Silencer
ed2k Releaser

Smile

i looked at amigakit and there is no cd32 console. badluck... yes i like to connect it to LCD. but i have a converter that has component input vga output. i need composite >>> component adapter ...do you know where to find? i think it is little gadget. so by the way there is no downside of buying a ntsc cd32 from china...is that all?
Old 16 March 2009, 03:03   #27
Cammy

You buy the CD32 from China, but you buy the Indivision from Amigakit, this expansion allows you to output VGA. You can get it here - http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=864
Old 16 March 2009, 09:56   #28
Silencer
ed2k Releaser

cd32's have composite video output is that right? your Indivision is too expensive for me thanX
Old 19 May 2009, 17:02   #29
amigamaniac

I've often wondered about this myself...

Found this info for making an A1200 boot to NTSC or PAL:

"Q. Is there an internal jumper on the A1200 to set it to default to PAL or NTSC video?
A. No, but if you're really motivated, you can rig this up. My thanks to Tetsuo Oda and Byron Montgomerie, who provided the information that connecting pin 41 of the Alice custom chip to ground causes the A1200 to default to NTSC, while pulling this pin high (disconnecting it from the motherboard and connecting it to +5V through a 4.7k resistor) will make the default power-up state PAL. I would point out that making a modification like this on a surface-mount chip is difficult at best, and you may end up needing an expensive motherboard replacement, or, at worst, a dead A1200 that needs an expensive replacement motherboard available. In most cases, using the boot menu (obtained by pressing both mouse buttons on power-up or reset) to switch to PAL is sufficient. However, with some games, the hardware patch will be necessary to insure proper timing (changing to PAL via the boot menu might make a 50 Hz game run at 60 Hz timing, or vice versa)."

This info came from: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/a1200/a1200.html

Since the CD32 is basically an A1200 with extra bits, it should work the same. A switch could easily be rigged to switch between PAL and NTSC. A SPDP would do it. Connect the centre tab (common) to pin 41, one tab to GND, and the remaining tab to the 4.7k resistor & +5v.

Anyone willing to try this out? If someone confirmed that this works, I might buy one of those not too expensive NTSC CD32's floating around on ebay. Do this mod, then use an ATX to CD32 adapter cable, then you've got something worth having if you live in a PAL country that uses 220+ volts :-D

If someone has a spare NTSC CD32 M.B., I'm willing to try the mod...Of course, I'll send the M.B. back to you after testing etc.

Last edited by amigamaniac; 21 May 2009 at 16:01.
Old 19 May 2009, 17:20   #30
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

The Colour encoding information that will be output by the CD32's RF,Composite and S-Video ports will remain NTSC of course....

All you will be setting by the switch is either 50Hz or 60Hz frame default output rate.

TC
Old 19 May 2009, 17:24   #31
kipper2k

I'll try it tonight...

I'll lift pin 41 or ground it by removing resistor (if possible). Check this thread...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44738 i think theCorflot is right about the display issues once you switch to PAL. The best way to correct these issues would be to buy the CD32 indivision and display through the VGA port. This would display flawlessly in either PAL or NTSC. Most LCD and Plasma TVs have this port so that would give you the best output possible. i'm not aware of any other method on the CD32 to change/manipulate the video signal out.

there may also be hope for an improved Svideo out if you check this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44091
it also uses the 23 pin video port of the A1200 so i dont know if you can get the required signals from a CD32 in order for this to work, although i still dont think it will solve the PAL/NTSC colour display issues

Last edited by kipper2k; 19 May 2009 at 17:35.
Old 20 May 2009, 02:21   #32
kipper2k

Hi all,

I lifted pin 41 on my NTSC CD32 and it indeed boots up in PAL mode. If i do the early startup by pressing both mouse buttons the default mode is PAL. You can select NTSC in early startup and NTSC mode still works fine.

Theres a lot of NTSC consoles on sale at fleabay that could easily be converted to work in Europe
Old 20 May 2009, 03:25   #33
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
As I said in another thread: locate R203 (it is a "zero-Ohm resistor" = SMD soldered jumper). Sack it out to force PAL, route the side connected to Alice to ground to force NTSC.

Remember the colour system of the Amiga CD32 will not change.
Old 20 May 2009, 04:44   #34
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
As I said in another thread: locate R203 (it is a "zero-Ohm resistor" = SMD soldered jumper). Sack it out to force PAL, route the side connected to Alice to ground to force NTSC.

Remember the colour system of the Amiga CD32 will not change.
Ok, just to clarify...so it's definitely R203 on both the A1200 & CD32...yes?

PZ.
Old 20 May 2009, 08:30   #35
amigamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Hi all,

I lifted pin 41 on my NTSC CD32 and it indeed boots up in PAL mode. If i do the early startup by pressing both mouse buttons the default mode is PAL. You can select NTSC in early startup and NTSC mode still works fine.

Theres a lot of NTSC consoles on sale at fleabay that could easily be converted to work in Europe
So after the hack, do PAL games display and play like on a native PAL CD32 console? That is, is any of the game screen cut off or anything like that? Have you tested a PAL game that was previously played by choosing PAL at the boot screen with the mouse trick, and was there a difference?

Also, did you connect the disconnected pin 41 to +5v through a 4.7k ohm resistor?
Old 20 May 2009, 11:20   #36
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Ok, tried the R203 removal fix on an NTSC CD32 & it doesn't work.

Well, it does make the CD32 display PAL, BUT it has green stripes going down the middle of the screen & shadowing all the way across the screen which make the display 100% f*cked up...

Looking at the CD32 motherboard, R203 doesn't seem to simply be a bridge between ground & Alice, as there is at least one transistor in it's path & it's a long way from Alice...I didn't check, but there could be other stuff along the tracks too.

Anyway, I'm not really keen on lifting pin 41, given that if I do it, I can never undo it, with the curled-under legs it'd be a nightmare to try undo!

PZ.
Old 20 May 2009, 14:28   #37
kipper2k

Pin 41 is not that hard to lift, even if you lifted the pad you dont really need to worry about it as you can still use a wire back to ground anywhere on the board (or the shield) or even use the early startup screen to change mode. I used some rosin flux and a nice pointed soldering tip and made sure that it was nice and toasty before using a safety pin to hook the pin upwards. even if the pin snapped off there is always enough meat of the pin left if you ever want to attach a wire from it to go back to ground.

Heres some pics i took both in PAL and NTSC using "Fire & Ice". (switching video mode now done by a switch and not early startup)

oin PAL it displays the whole screen with messed up colours. In native NTSC colours are fine but you can see the bottom portion of the picture is chopped off

PAL

NTSC

Old 20 May 2009, 15:01   #38
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Not nearly what I saw with the R203 deal.

Kipper, please take pics & post of your CD32 mod itself...I cannot afford to mess up & buy another! Overhead pics pointing things out would be best.

PZ.
Old 20 May 2009, 15:02   #39
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Not nearly what I saw with the R203 deal.

Kipper, please take pics & post of your CD32 mod itself...I cannot afford to mess up & buy another! Overhead pics pointing things out would be best.

PZ.
No problem, I'll post it at lunchtime, off to work i go
Old 20 May 2009, 15:08   #40
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Cheers man, looking forward to it

PZ.