English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 07 May 2018, 13:42   #1201
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma63 View Post
Hello SnkBitten,
unfortunately your link is dead. Do you have a newer or correct one?

Thanks
Sigma
Sorry, no. Doobrey asked that I only link to his hosted location and not host it anywhere else. If he removed the link it is for whatever reason he chose.
Old 07 May 2018, 14:23   #1202
sigma63

That's sad but thank you for the quick response.
Old 07 May 2018, 14:31   #1203
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma63 View Post
That's sad but thank you for the quick response.
I've reached out to Doobrey and just waiting for his response.
Old 07 May 2018, 17:27   #1204
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Doobrey provided a link to the latest archive of Remus which contains an updated ROMsplit.

http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/beta/Remus_1.72b.lha
Old 08 May 2018, 09:18   #1205
sigma63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
Doobrey provided a link to the latest archive of Remus which contains an updated ROMsplit.
Thank you so much, also to Doobrey, of course.
Old 27 May 2018, 10:18   #1206
towo2099

Now, that i have a nice old PC which is compatible with AMithlon i have one last question.
How to hell $user can hear modules music? Sound at all is no problem, mp3 is playing nice with amiamp. But eagleplayer seems to can't use ahi. If i use puhdernaer, i honly have sound on one speaker. Is there any trick to haer modules?
Old 27 May 2018, 14:04   #1207
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I'm not sure, you may want to try
http://aminet.net/package/driver/audio/newbaer

which is an updated puhdebaer as he had some sound channel info crossed.

in the readme file..

Quote:
So what is different? Only one small detail --- the old version put
Paula channels 0 and 3 out onto the left speaker, and Paula channels
1 and 2.... ALSO onto the left speaker. Oops! So this updated version
puts channels 1 and 2 onto the right speaker, where they should be.
Old 27 May 2018, 16:54   #1208
towo2099

Yes it works, thanks.
Old 28 May 2018, 22:52   #1209
towo2099

Next Problem, NetSurf 3.7 is not able to fetch any https site.
AmiSSL 4.2 is installed and working for IBrowse 2.4.
Same settings in FS-UAE on Linux NetSurf, same version, is working, even on https.
Anyone has a clue, what could be the problem?
NIC is VIA Rhine, TCP stack tested, genesis and miami.
Old 03 June 2018, 19:05   #1210
PvdV1

Hello amithlon enthousiasts,

I am trying tot install amithlon on a Intel D945GCLF2 board i had lying around in an old music server. It contains a 200 GB SATA hard disk, and an IDE DVD writer. I played around a bit in the bios, trying to get the thing to boot from the DVD drive, but it doesn't seem to work. In the end I created a Freedos bootable USB stick, and with that I finally got somewhere.

With the information from this thread and Snkbitten's excellent site I have gotten as far as being able to create a fat partition, an Amiga partition and a boot into the live amithlon environment. Then I created the Amiga partition and formatted it, taking care to not make it bootable yet.
And then I hit a snag.... I can't install amithlon when the disc isn't being recognized. It shows a cdda disc icon and also a disc icon with uninitialized beneath it (I think).

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Last edited by PvdV1; 03 June 2018 at 20:13.

Old 04 June 2018, 02:25   #1211
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

It's going to be a bit more effort since you don't have an active cd drive. Two problems...first is no CD drive to boot and run the installer, second is booting off USB (bios allowing this) but no USB support in Amithlon without installing USB support, so the USB boot drive disappears and all you have is the ramdisk boot hd embedded in bigird.gz.

If you have means to move the HD to another PC running WinUAE or something so that you can mount the HD, copy the Amithlon CD to a folder on it. Then move it back to Amithlon, boot how you have been and then assign "AmigaOS XL" to the folder you copied the Amithlon CD to on your HD. I believe the installer looks for that mounted volume so should still see it as an assign.

It is very inconvenient to install Amithlon without a functioning CD drive.
Old 04 June 2018, 07:17   #1212
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Is BIOS set to Legacy or IDE mode?
Old 04 June 2018, 09:07   #1213
PvdV1

Thanks for the quick reaction guys.
@Methanoid, I have tried both ide and legacy mode. Neither will give me a functional DVD drive. Didn't you have the same board? And do you have a DVD writer as well, or do you have a CD ROM/writer? Maybe we can compare the rest of the bios settings...

@Snkbitten, The WinUAE method is something I might be able to try. I have a separate PC with WinUAE, but no spare slot for this drive. Maybe I need to use a USB hard-disk dock... Might it also be possible to run the installer (and the needed upgrades) when it is still connected to WinUAE?

Old 04 June 2018, 09:15   #1214
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I did have this board some years back and got Amithlon working fine.. IDE=Legacy Mode... just definitely NOT AHCI or SATA modes! Check BIOS.. if memory serves I was on a 1.08 one? Yes with a DVD too... or some optical I used for the install. And 2Gb Ram (one of the VERY few Amithlon capable 2Gb systems cos its single channel)
Old 04 June 2018, 09:36   #1215
croupier

Well...there is a way (in case of 'USB only' PCs....no floppy, no CD)....but needs some work...

I've managed to install Amithlon on my Toshiba NB100 (USB only)....

Making a bootable Amithlon USB is the easy part....the issue is to 'include' the USB software for the Amiga side (Poseidon and ArakAttak) in the bigird.gz file....so when you boot Amithlon from USB you can already install the USB drivers for the Amiga....so that you can access USB ports (and external floppy/CD drives) also from the Amiga OS....

It involves using Linux....to insert the extra programs in the bigird.gz....I've done a small guideline how to do it....it was also published in this Thread....check my post on 01 May 2016....
Old 04 June 2018, 10:14   #1216
PvdV1

I will make sure I set ide to legacy in the bios. I don't know the bios version, will check that later. I think the DVD device must be broken or something. It does show up when booting but every disc I put in there is unreadable (under Freedos at least).

@croupier
Your guide may be a solution for me! When it works I don't have to remove the hard drive so it will safe me a lot of time. I will give it a try, and let you guys know of my success (or failure ...)

Old 04 June 2018, 11:12   #1217
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvdV1 View Post
Thanks for the quick reaction guys.
@Methanoid, I have tried both ide and legacy mode. Neither will give me a functional DVD drive. Didn't you have the same board? And do you have a DVD writer as well, or do you have a CD ROM/writer? Maybe we can compare the rest of the bios settings...

@Snkbitten, The WinUAE method is something I might be able to try. I have a separate PC with WinUAE, but no spare slot for this drive. Maybe I need to use a USB hard-disk dock... Might it also be possible to run the installer (and the needed upgrades) when it is still connected to WinUAE?
I use a USB interface drive dock to connect my Amiga formatted drives to my PC to mount in WinUAE. You'll just want to copy the CD to a folder on the drive and do the actual install on your Amithlon. Basically booting an existing working WinUAE setup with your Amithlon hd drive mounted to it so you can copy the CD files to your Amiga/Amithlon formatted HD.
Old 04 June 2018, 12:56   #1218
jdog320

What ever happened to bernie mayer? Is he still alive and well today?
Old 04 June 2018, 13:49   #1219
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog320 View Post
What ever happened to bernie mayer? Is he still alive and well today?
Bernie is still active. He's on one of my Amithlon threads on another forum. He appears to have no interest in Amithlon and probably wishes it would just fade away

He did mention he doesn't care if people use his work in Amithlon, but would prefer people pay for licensing for the other parts (Harold's contributions, P96, AmigaOS 3.9, etc..). He of course realizes that is near impossible to do these days.
Old 04 June 2018, 13:52   #1220
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by croupier View Post
Well...there is a way (in case of 'USB only' PCs....no floppy, no CD)....but needs some work...

I've managed to install Amithlon on my Toshiba NB100 (USB only)....

Making a bootable Amithlon USB is the easy part....the issue is to 'include' the USB software for the Amiga side (Poseidon and ArakAttak) in the bigird.gz file....so when you boot Amithlon from USB you can already install the USB drivers for the Amiga....so that you can access USB ports (and external floppy/CD drives) also from the Amiga OS....

It involves using Linux....to insert the extra programs in the bigird.gz....I've done a small guideline how to do it....it was also published in this Thread....check my post on 01 May 2016....
This is an excellent solution and while it does take some effort it can be very useful. I haven't had time to work through this yet, my attempts at following the guide resulted in failed booting. A lot seems to be very memory/ramdisk/hd_image size specific and getting those values correctly configured in your init string.